Author Topic: To port or not to port, that is the question  (Read 2338 times)

Skeeter65

• View Profile
To port or not to port, that is the question
« on: May 05, 2021, 07:01:10 PM »
So I just got some new to me Edelbrock heads from a forum member. They are box stock and have never been run and I’m wondering if I need to do any port work to them or run them as is. I’ll be running them on the 390 I’m working on that will be getting a 445 stroker kit and a Blue Thunder medium riser intake. Not sure on the cam yet as I need to consult Brent on that. Any thoughts on the head and or intake porting?

427mach1

• View Profile
Re: To port or not to port, that is the question
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 08:35:59 PM »
Send them to someone who has a CNC program for porting Edelbrock heads.

427mach1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 08:36:20 PM »

duplicate post

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 09:31:12 PM »
They really need a valve job and matching bowl work to flow as advertised

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 10:11:28 PM »
A good valve job and bowl blending helps quite a bit.
Full porting or CNC porting is costly - depends on the power goals.

Before I spent the $$$ CNC porting Edelbrock heads I would buy some TFS heads instead - smaller port volume and more flow.
One can always sell the box stock Edelbrocks.

This all depends on what you want. 400 HP? 500 HP? 550 HP?

Cheers

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 07:12:14 AM »
Some good information in this thread from 3 years ago.  If you are a DIY guy have at it, kind of fun, get a nice 3 angle valve job as well.
I basically port matched and did what was described in the thread and my 445 pulls hard.
For me, really hard to put something together with obvious physical port mismatch then add gasket misalignment on top of that.
I chased sharp corners and matched all the way from carb base plate to chamber and am happy with it.

Search on "FE Edelbrock 60065 Aluminum Head Porting" 

Skeeter65

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 08:04:13 AM »
Some good information in this thread from 3 years ago.  If you are a DIY guy have at it, kind of fun, get a nice 3 angle valve job as well.
I basically port matched and did what was described in the thread and my 445 pulls hard.
For me, really hard to put something together with obvious physical port mismatch then add gasket misalignment on top of that.
I chased sharp corners and matched all the way from carb base plate to chamber and am happy with it.

Thumperbird, I'm not finding anything when I search for "FE Edelbrock 60065 Aluminum Head Porting". Do you have a link to it or was this from a different site or forum?

Skeeter65

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 11:13:30 AM »

Thumperbird, I was able to locate the thread you mentioned. Thanks for the help!

Skeeter65

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 11:16:14 AM »
A good valve job and bowl blending helps quite a bit.
Full porting or CNC porting is costly - depends on the power goals.

Before I spent the $$$ CNC porting Edelbrock heads I would buy some TFS heads instead - smaller port volume and more flow.
One can always sell the box stock Edelbrocks.

This all depends on what you want. 400 HP? 500 HP? 550 HP?

Cheers

I guess my next question on porting is what is the average cost to do so. This will not be an all out race motor but I do want some good power. 450+ would be the range I am looking to see if possible.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 12:43:55 PM »
If you could find a reputable porter to give you a modern valve job, a little bit of bowl work, the Edelbrocks would support 500 hp without any real rubbing, so 450 is doable with supporting parts. Prices vary wildly but I’d guess 500 and up from there. TFS is a super value for more power, but often requires a piston change and are currently unavailable anyway. At least as of last week
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Skeeter65

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 01:27:27 PM »
Ross, these or whatever set of heads I end up using will be on my '67 390 block with a 445 rotating assembly if all goes as planned. I had also planned to get my cam and lifters from Brent if he can help. I also picked up a pair of Harland Sharp rocker assemblies with the heads from the same seller. I already have the Blue Thunder intake as well, so with those combinations, I would hope to be within that range. Now I am not in an immediate rush to get this motor done so I certainly could wait for TFS to be available and resell the Edelbrocks as they are. I did reach out to Lance at Craft and his stage 1 porting is $800, so are they worth putting the money into ? I do live near the Charlotte Motor Speedway and there are a lot of shops in the surrounding area that I could possibly have work on the heads, but again do I need to do anything to them to support that power range?

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2021, 04:51:35 PM »
A 445 with Edelbrock heads with a good valve job, springs, enough cam and intake should make 450 to all day long, even with power brakes. If the porting includes the valve job that’s not a bad price and should gain power. TFS Will still beat it it just depends what you wanted to do
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2021, 09:27:27 PM »
A stage I porting should get you 320 cfm or more.  That will give your 445 the capability to make an easy 500 hp.  I  just did a 390 with street porting of Edelbrock RPM heads, Port O Sonic, and made 479 hp.  Nothing fancy.  A 445 should easily top that with another 50 hp.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

Skeeter65

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2021, 07:06:54 AM »
A stage I porting should get you 320 cfm or more.  That will give your 445 the capability to make an easy 500 hp.  I  just did a 390 with street porting of Edelbrock RPM heads, Port O Sonic, and made 479 hp.  Nothing fancy.  A 445 should easily top that with another 50 hp.  Joe-JDC
Thanks Joe. I'm sending you a PM for some info.