Author Topic: Pulley Balancing  (Read 848 times)

CV355

• View Profile
Pulley Balancing
« on: April 28, 2021, 08:47:15 AM »
Has anyone here machined their own pulleys?  Aside from what you'd consider is "typical" for balance straight off the lathe/mill, did you need to do any additional balancing?  Any recommended method? 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 09:22:42 AM by CV355 »

fe468stroker

• View Profile
Re: Pulley Balancing
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 09:10:41 AM »
I would think as long as everything is indicated in then it in theory it should be zero balance.  We used to take 1" wall tubing X 16" long and after turning the OD, indicate it in to .002 and bore the ID.  Ended up zero balance every time.

CV355

• View Profile
Re: Pulley Balancing
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 09:16:08 AM »
I would think as long as everything is indicated in then it in theory it should be zero balance.  We used to take 1" wall tubing X 16" long and after turning the OD, indicate it in to .002 and bore the ID.  Ended up zero balance every time.

That's what I'm thinking as well- shouldn't be any issue on the main pulley I am designing.  But, the secondary piggyback pulley needs to have a feature to locate on the primary- can't have a pin or key on one side without balancing the rest.  I'm thinking stainless shoulder bolts will work, and I'll just have an extra 0.002" on one of the three mounting holes so it doesn't overlocate.  I may be overthinking this a bit, but then again I have seen what a bench grinder can do if it isn't balanced perfectly...