Author Topic: pro maxx head options  (Read 1205 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

frnkeore

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1336
    • View Profile
Re: pro maxx head options
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2026, 05:56:46 PM »
Quote
*when given the choice*

You are the one that has that choice. You guild your customers to what you want to build for them. Tell them you would put Chinese stuff in your engines!



Quote
Oh, by the way, you obviously have no idea what a Carrillo rod looks like.  I bet I could post pictures of a Carrillo, Callies, Scat, and Dyers rod next to a Molnar rod, and the only rod that would stand out as a completely different design would be the Molnar. 

Please do. ALL H beam rods lead their way back to Carrillo. Easy and simple to see.

Quote
If you are trying to infer that it's a profit thing because I do or do not sell Promaxx, it's silly,  Promaxx has a decent markup and readily available to me.  Happy to drop ship you a set.

It's Brent that makes a fair income in TFS heads. Has he never offered a set of Pro Ports for a customer that wants maximum hp? And he ALWAYS steers people away from the other "All American Edelbrocks".

I see absolutely no difference in using Molnar rods and Pro Maxx heads.
Frank

'60 Ford Starliner
'61 Fairlane 500
Austin Healey Replica with 427 & 8.5 Cert

blykins

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5384
    • View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: pro maxx head options
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2026, 06:06:50 PM »
I think you need more fiber in your diet, Frank.  You've been eating too many crayons.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

frnkeore

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1336
    • View Profile
Re: pro maxx head options
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2026, 06:11:23 PM »
Lets see the pictures, Brent. You offered.
Frank

'60 Ford Starliner
'61 Fairlane 500
Austin Healey Replica with 427 & 8.5 Cert

blykins

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5384
    • View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: pro maxx head options
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2026, 06:29:35 PM »




Sorry little buddy, Ray Charles called me and told me that he could even see the difference.  You can't tell the difference between Carrillo, Dyers, or Manley, but the Molnar sticks out like a sore thumb due to the small beam cross section.

When I want really big power numbers, I use Jay Brown's heads.  Working on a 520ci engine now, heads flow about 475.  It will be the third engine I've built with them.  And yes, I make a good income off of selling TFS heads, along with Pond heads, CNC Edelbrocks, you name it.  Thanks for the advertisement! 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2026, 06:38:13 PM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Mark Bliss

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 19
    • View Profile
Re: pro maxx head options
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2026, 06:32:42 PM »
JFC, I think an alternative engine swap is more attractive all the time!

Some people just can't comprehend the effective difference between shooting into space and a shooting into close proximity to your own foot.

blykins

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5384
    • View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: pro maxx head options
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2026, 06:35:30 PM »
Duplicate post...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2026, 06:37:43 PM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

frnkeore

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1336
    • View Profile
Re: pro maxx head options
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2026, 12:55:12 AM »
I don't know, Brent. What part of "H" beam do you not understand or is your vision failing?

What does it say on the side of this rod, that I also posted earlier in this thread?

Carrillo also makes a "I" beam rod but, it's not made in China.

Let's be honest here, Brent..... Jay doesn't make heads any more and they were never readily available in quantity. There is only a a few sets out there. Did you sell the heads your working with or did the customer buy them from Jay?

How many Pond or Edelbrock heads have you sold and how many TFS heads have you sold? You talk down Edelbrocks, like they are the plague and I've never heard you suggest a Pond head for a build.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2026, 01:53:06 AM by frnkeore »
Frank

'60 Ford Starliner
'61 Fairlane 500
Austin Healey Replica with 427 & 8.5 Cert

blykins

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5384
    • View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: pro maxx head options
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2026, 03:52:27 AM »
There are companies that DIRECTLY copied other companies' work.  Speedmaster/Procomp directly copied the CHI 3V Cleveland head.  They directly copied the MSD distributor.  They directly copied the Funnel Web intakes for Clevelands and Windsors.  We are not talking about parts that kinda use the same design, we are talking about direct copies.  Did you know that Summit quit selling the Speedmaster line of products because there was an automatic transmission part that was copied so closely it still had Broader Performance engraved on it? 

https://www.thedrive.com/news/big-name-distributor-caught-stealing-small-shops-part-design-and-selling-it-on-summit

That's what we are talking about here and in the beginning the Stevens head was a direct copy of an Edelbrock head. 

You can obviously see that a Molnar rod is not a direct copy of a Carrillo rod.  It looks nothing like it, aside from the fact that it is an H-beam and has 2 rod bolts. 

If I remember correctly, all the FE Power cylinder heads that I've worked with, the customers bought them straight from Jay.  I didn't sell them and didn't mark them up.  That includes the Tunnel Port heads that Jay made as well.  They are great heads, make a ton of horsepower.

How many Pond or Edelbrock heads have I sold?  Holy cow, there's no telling over the course of the last 18 years.  Just sold a set of Pond HR heads this past weekend.  Got Pond SOHC heads for a build in here now.  Jay Zolko just posted some nice ported Pond HR numbers on his Facebook and Instagram page, along with some flow numbers from some other brand heads.  May wanna check them out.  Do I sell a lot of TFS heads?  Absolutely, because they are such an easy, bolt-on, great fit for a ton of builds, have a very reasonable price, and make a ton of power out of the box without touching anything.

Believe it or not, Frank, there's things that I do in my business that you don't know about and I don't advertise on the forum.  Imagine that?  But thanks for allowing me to expound on my line card.  Much appreciated!

« Last Edit: September 29, 2026, 04:37:14 AM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports