Author Topic: FE vs. BBC rod journal  (Read 4955 times)

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: FE vs. BBC rod journal
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2021, 07:31:33 AM »
Ok cool
It occurred to me that I have a bearing clearance target I want, but the only reason is, “well that’s what everyone does”.
I’d like to know why I’m shooting for that target.

The rule of thumb is .001" of clearance per journal diameter.  A 2.750" journal size gets a ballpark clearance of .00275".  The bearing that's used, the coating, the application, how weak/unrigid your rotating assembly is, how far the machine work is out, etc., all "tweak" that by a little bit, where you fudge it one way or the other. 

On a 302 main, which is 2.250", you would not see me run a .003" oil clearance, nor would you see me run a .002" oil clearance on a 460 Ford, which has a 3" main journal. 

It's not only the rule of thumb that I use, but it's what bearings look like when engines come back for freshening.  Race engines are the best ways of learning and when an engine comes back and I can see my bore mic tracks on bearings, then I know that I've done something right.   That's also why I have dyno mules, so if I want to "experiment", I can do that without consequence.

Since the coating on a coated bearing is harder, you can take a little bit of that clearance away, and I do.  The coating is excellent for extreme performance scenarios, or even on a daily driver where the coating would give some added protection when you first fire it in the morning.  They're expensive, but it's something that I've been putting in all my engines as I see it as an added value. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 07:39:54 AM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2021, 07:50:02 AM »
Thanks
I did know the .001 per inch deal but it’s kinda general when you start using different grooves and materials.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2021, 09:23:35 AM »
Maybe it's time to try some coated bearings- I think I have a likely candidate. 454, 64 block, Adney Brown old school welded/stroked 391 crank, Crower rods, and factory lightened (milled underneath) domed Arias pistons. Done many in the basic .025/.030 combo with good results, and this one should be pretty good for strength. Have some good heads, cams & induction to get it into 7-7.5K range. Maybe I should do some good measuring and get a set from you- have you done any with the Crowers?

I used 6.7" Crower Rods with a 351C big end and a BBC little end. Seemed to offer more piston choices.  Crank was a factory 390 stroked to 3.90". Can't give a failure analysis cause the combo hasn't failed yet.....
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 10:03:26 AM by Dumpling »

mike7570

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2021, 01:44:32 PM »
Brent will likely chime in with more, but unless you have an aftermarket crank built, or modify a steel crank (which isn't cheap), just stick with what you have.  Bearing speed and choices are better, and rod choices are FAR better with the BBC rods, but it takes width machining too, not just journal size, the journal size is the easy part for the machinist.

Now if you were buying an aftermarket steel crank, and had it made that way, you could get a little longer rod, lighter piston, but if sticking with an FE crank,just make sure everything is balanced, oiled well, and straight and true with the lightest components the budget allows.

I still have the 391 crank, 2.20 Journal 3.99 stroke all machined ready to go. In classifieds

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2021, 07:09:37 PM »
Were the special nascar fe rods extra wide with the standard fe diameter?

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2021, 10:27:05 PM »
Yes they were still FE journal but wider.The rods looked like standard LeMans rods only ~ ,080 wider and the crank was still forged and cross drilled but with wider journals and the cross drilling adjusted as necessary.