Author Topic: Rocker arm shimming  (Read 1001 times)

Tom Gahman

• View Profile
Rocker arm shimming
« on: April 18, 2021, 06:55:31 PM »
I am reusing my Dove rocker arm assemblies that were on iron cj heads and now are going on Edelbrock heads. What is the clearance range when shimming? I have .020 for a pair of rockers.Also most rockers have a shim between them and the spacers but none between rocker and stand.No abnormal wear. Should I just shim to get the roller centered (side to side) or do we need a shim on both sides of the rocker? I hope I explained that well enough and thanks.
Tom

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Rocker arm shimming
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 06:34:13 AM »
I'd like to see a little tighter than .020", Tom.  I try to aim for .010-.015" on a pair.

I'd shim to get the rocker centered on the valve tip as well as you can. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 07:20:41 AM »
To answer your question about a shim on both sides, I really like to do that and try to start with a .015 shim on the pedestal side whenever I can

My head tells me there is plenty of oil there to run alum against alum, but my gut tells me that those similar soft metals can gall.  No proof of one ever having issues, and I have run no shim on the pedestal side when I had to, I have also switched parts around to get room, and have clearanced a pedestal slightly to make room for a shim.  In the end, none of it seems to matter, but alum against alum is what I try to avoid as a general rule.

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Tom Gahman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 03:43:42 PM »
Thank you Brent and Ross, I'll see how it works out.
Thanks again.
Tom