Author Topic: Oil on top of intake  (Read 5084 times)

stroked67

• View Profile
Oil on top of intake
« on: October 28, 2017, 10:06:13 PM »
So I noticed about a month ago that there was oil  puddling on top of my intake manifold.  Since it's a solid roller engine, and I've had rocker covers off about 10 times. I figured they were bad and replaced them. I took the car on a long fairly hard drive today, and the oil puddled back Up? Where else could the oil come From? It's a significant amount of oil. I'd say at least 2 tablespoons.

Heo

• View Profile
Re: Oil on top of intake
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 10:18:50 PM »
Distributor

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

stroked67

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 07:28:31 AM »
I guess I should note it's a edelbrock victor427 intake, not saying impossible but unlikely it's the distributor. It's puddling towards the back of intake, which engine is at a rake that way so it makes sense, but the forward half seems bone dry. And now to boot my power steering pump start leaking and I got 2 puddles on my floor, and the oil I dripping onto header making this car look like an old international idiot diesel going down the road :o!

stroked67

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 07:30:01 AM »
Stupid spell check, that should have said idi diesel.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 10:53:01 AM »
Intake bolt that isn't fully seated?  (Seems we had a fella the other day that had a bolt head not fully flush with the intake)

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 12:02:03 PM »
Where is the oil located?

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 01:47:04 PM »
is it a auto trans,could it be trans fluid from the modulator line? just a wild guess
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

scott foxwell

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 01:52:13 PM »
X2 on intake bolts.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 06:23:40 PM »
Yep, the bolts may be too long.
Bob Maag

stroked67

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 06:34:50 PM »
It is an auto, but it's definitely oil. The oil is setting on top of intake, back by the bellhousing.  It builds up  to the point of dripping off backside of intake, rolling down bellhousing, and drips onto header, causing the smoking.  I will clean it up, and after another 5 mile drive it's back to its same amount.  I removed the pcv a couple months ago and shortly after developed this problem.  Could it be building so much pressure it's pushing it out of somewhere Unusual?  On the Victor 427 intake what is the raised portion on the back closest to number 4 with a two bolt removable cover on it all About? That's the only other thing I can think of, also the only thing I haven't messed witj ::)! I used the same intake bolts, after the rebuild, it didn't have this problem before.  But I will pull and check, how long should they be, or is it build specific with milling, decking, gasket choice Etc?

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 10:34:16 PM »
FWIW, I once had a 390 on which I'd used a PI manifold. I used a layer of silicon 'goo' (Thanks, Lon!) as the seal on the rear wall. After much experimentation, I found that it was no longer adhered to either the manifold or wall-top but was still in place. It was leaking oil and the air movement was blowing it up on the back of the manifold before it ran down over the scatter shield and onto the exhaust manifolds.

KS

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 05:09:15 AM »
On some engines I need to use a tiny dab of silicone underneath the flat washers of the intake bolts.

stroked67

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 06:53:07 AM »
Cammerfe that's what my fears have been, but with oil on top I kinda dismissed that, but now that there is a case of that happening, I will investigate. And thanks Barry I will definitely pull one by one and and a little. THANKS GUYS!!! I will report back with my findings, this has been driving me nuts!

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 08:36:14 AM »
Hmm, remove pcv then oil shows up out of bolt holes?
I'm thinking you answered your own question.
I'm curious why since this car gets driven on the road for distance did you remove the pcv?
Just asking for info. There's all kinds of stuff I don't know.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 11:06:19 AM by turbohunter »
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

jholmes217

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 10:12:27 AM »
I have a Streetmaster intake on my car.  One bolt was so close to the runner that the washer wouldn't go flat, and oil was coming out onto the intake and pooling in a recessed area.  I took a grinder to 1 side of the washer to make it flat, put a little RTV on the bottom, and torqued it back down.  No more leak.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 01:00:11 PM by jholmes217 »
Jeff
1969 Mach 1 Q code 428 Cobra Jet
4 speed, 3:50 traction lock
Olympia WA. area