Author Topic: Stroker engine hwy temp  (Read 18270 times)

bn69stang

• View Profile
Re: Stroker engine hwy temp
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2014, 05:05:33 PM »
Plus one on what Jay said , going down the highway at speed it should run on the t stat , i am running a 180 in my 434 , aluminum radiator no shroud and a good fan and at idle not moving it may hit 200-205 , but as soon as you move drops back to 180 . The 200 ish number is when its hot out , and no water wetter in this one but it did help on the 390 galaxie .. Bud
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2014, 10:26:30 AM »
yes it should run stat temp going down the hwy. It dont , and I can't get it to.  after the reinstall of the 180 stat and reducing the antifreeze and adding water wetter it still ran the same... first 5 miles or so it would bounce around 180-190 (stat temp) 10 miles mark it was climbing to 200... 20 mile mark it was locked on to 205-210 and would not lower till i got to st paul and then dropped to 200 or so till I shut it down .... Seems like it takes 15-20 miles for everything to heat soak/trans temps to get the heat up there. once there it stays there ..... I dont think it's a problem,And should just toss the temp gauge out the window so I dont keep looking at it. LOL .... I just think it should run stat temp on the hwy.

Thought ?  I run a 3,500 tci stall,and the trans cooler is through the raid and through a after market cooler... could the trans temp be getting hot enuff to cause the coolant temp to raise up like this ?  I do not have a trans temp gauge installed ....

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2014, 12:31:40 PM »
A lot of guys have had this issue when running thick aftermarket aluminum radiators. When the engine and trans is making more heat at road speeds, the thick core just can't get enough air through it to cool properly. It basically becomes an air dam. When aluminum radiators started becoming popular, 3 and 4 rows used to be more common. Today, a 4 row is pretty uncommon....for a reason. As hot rodders, it's sometimes hard to get away from the "more is better" philosophy :)
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2014, 04:10:11 PM »
The tranny heat could be a factor for sure , mine is a five speed and my radiator is a summit universal fit and my top hose is stock but bottom hose i had to stare at all the hoses at auto zone , found one close and a trim to fit but i dont think it s has thick as yours , and when you look at say 1990 and up to present they use aluminum but not that thick . You could try running a bigger tranny cooler or one with a fan on it or even a tranny pan thats aluminum and finned . And maybe you should check tranny temp as well just to see where it s at when your temp is at 205 or higher .. Bud
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

Mike Caruso

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2014, 09:12:58 PM »
Cooling system stuff is funny.  I have had exactly the same experience with water wetter that you have - absolutely zero gain.  Yet some people swear by it.

And contrary to your experience, I have never seen coolant temperatures decrease with an increase in the thermostat temperature.  I will say this again, for what it's worth:  Driving down the highway at 60 MPH, your coolant temperature should be exactly on the thermostat temperature.  If its not, your cooling system is lacking in some way, most likely in the radiator's ability to dissipate the heat.

In any case, glad your combination got the problem solved - Jay
I have to 2nd Jay's Red Line WW. I have had WW make the temp gauge show cooler a few degree's but really use less. One item I have found that does TRANSFER HEAT FROM THE CASTING TO THE COOLANT is Motor Max Fire Freeze. I learned about it years ago during the Kenny D. Buick GN Vs. Gene Deputy's Texas Turbo war's early 90's working with them both on head gaskets. They both told me that after adding the Fire Freeze that both of they cars' and their customers car's with EFI and knock sensors would NOT retard ignition timing as much. Now 6-8 degree's is a lot on our FE's but it is MONSTER on a boosted engine. You engine will warm up in half the amount of time that it does with any other mixture that I have found. Read that as street driven less wear and more mileage from faster warm up. I have only found it on line. http://firefreeze.com/ and then go to products it's the last one on the page. And no I have no affiliation with them.
Love to heard your results as I have used it in all of my cars and boats with closed cooling systems.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 09:36:06 PM by Mike Caruso »
Mike Caruso
Do It Like You Mean It .....or Don't Bother!
www.AERA.org
Engine Professional Magazine Free To All

fe66comet

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2014, 09:22:43 PM »
I run trans coolers on all my stuff, extra insurance, on the lets sit in traffic and roast in the 100 plus heat situations.

westcoastgalaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2014, 11:05:38 PM »
hey bartlett, what make is that shroud?

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2014, 06:17:47 AM »
You engine will warm up in half the amount of time that it does with any other mixture that I have found. Read that as street driven less wear and more mileage from faster warm up. I have only found it on line. http://firefreeze.com/ and then go to products it's the last one on the page. And no I have no affiliation with them.
Love to heard your results as I have used it in all of my cars and boats with closed cooling systems.

How could the coolant , which is as cold as the engine when it fires up put heat into the engine and make it warm up faster?

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2014, 06:45:11 AM »
Mike, if your reading this, it was great to see you again at Sally's! Here's a real shocker. I got late last week an e-mail from another old pal of yours from the past, Mike Sebrowski. Seems he saw an old blog of mine on the FE Forum about the Migut Brothers and used my screen info to contact  me. He's away this week on vacation but after I gave him your e-mail addy, he promised to contact you soon. Ain't the Web and these Ford blogs a great thing? LOL.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 06:51:31 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

fairlanegt427

• 64 falcon 482 pond motor/ 65 comet 428
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2014, 10:03:11 AM »
i see your running an electric temp guage with the sender on water pump.  try putting it on the intake boss above the thermostat housing where it shoul be.  also try checking the guage,  i have had 2 autometer temp  guages crap out on me in about as many years.  also go online to dove website and buy their adjustable thermostat neck.  they have a stud you turn to adjust the opening and then a jam nut to hold in place. i put two of them on my 2 cars and get rid of those spacers with holes in them,  that way you can really fine tune the water flow through the system.  hope it helps.

Ford428CJ

• FE FREAK!
    • View Profile
    • Hillside Auto
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2014, 01:45:41 PM »
Hummm. Run a 180 stat and hit 215. Then went to a 195 stat 200~205...
Wes Adams FORD428CJ 
Hillside Auto- Custom Curved, Blueprinted Distributors
03 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 and 35's
64 Falcon 428FE
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with 428FE

Ford428CJ

• FE FREAK!
    • View Profile
    • Hillside Auto
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2014, 01:49:09 PM »
What size pulley are you running? Do you have a plate on the back of the impeller? Sometimes those things can help. A cross flow Rad is better at cooling then a down flow. Just some thoughts

Wes Adams FORD428CJ 
Hillside Auto- Custom Curved, Blueprinted Distributors
03 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 and 35's
64 Falcon 428FE
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with 428FE