Author Topic: Stroker engine hwy temp  (Read 18325 times)

bartlett

• View Profile
Re: Stroker engine hwy temp
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 09:42:59 PM »
Yea IMo 215 isnt bad at all ..... I just think that being it only goes there driving on the highway that something is a miss....  I just thought I might track a simple problem down and cure it .... guess it might not be so simple lol ...

Ford428CJ

• FE FREAK!
    • View Profile
    • Hillside Auto
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 09:12:37 AM »
I would run a 190~195 stat if it was me! Who knows what pulley's your running and so on. That will help and might keep you down to 200 or less.... JMHO
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 09:43:00 AM by Ford428CJ »
Wes Adams FORD428CJ 
Hillside Auto- Custom Curved, Blueprinted Distributors
03 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 and 35's
64 Falcon 428FE
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with 428FE

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 09:28:05 AM »
Yes, what are the sizes of the water pump and crank pulleys?

Ford made a number of different pulleys based upon a number of factors. Lincolns and T-Birds often got pump pulleys smaller than the crank pulley while almost all 'performance' Fords got a.) bigger-than-crank pulley water pump pulleys or b.) equal sized pulleys. Slowing down the coolant flow for fast Fords was important for these higher rpm engines as opposed to loafer combos in luxury cars.     
Bob Maag

Ratbird

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 10:00:36 AM »
Another thing to consider is going to the stock radiator. They are typically brass, and brass is better than aluminum at dispersing heat. I was sure an aluminum one would healp my car run cooler but the guys at "www.squarebirds.org convinced me otherwise.
Of course the old radiator has to be in good condition.

Here's what I did to get mine cooler.

I took it out of the car, straightened all the mushed and dinged spots so the air would flow through better. It wasn't in bad shape, but every little bit helps.
I then hosed out the fins from the engine side to the front side - a little bit of dirt and such washed out there too.
I then laid the thing flat with the hose side up and filled it with distilled white vinegar. I let it set over night and then some - about 16 hours.
Next I heated it via propane torch all along the tubes, I could hear a little boiling vinegar every once in a while. You have to be very careful not to heat any air pockets because you could end up melting the welds.
I emptied it and flushed it thoroughly with the garden hose on high.
Then I reinstalled it and filled it with water, ran the motor until hot, and then drained it - did this several times to get all the anti freeze out.
Then I used Prestone radiator flush as recommended.
I flushed that out by draining the radiator, filling with water, running until it flowed hot, then draining the radiator again. I repeated that several times until it ran clear.

I topped it off with one and a half gallons of anti freeze and it's running much cooler. At stop and go cruising speed it's around 195. I took it down the highway and it's just over 190. Ran it up and down an open stretch of highway at 3000 rpm, stomped on it up hill to 4000 rpm and it stayed between 190 and 195. Heck of a lot better.

Another thing I've heard that works well is "Water wetter". It didn't help me much, but I've heard from other guys that it can lower your temp 10 degrees.

Dave J
1959 T-bird - rat kind of a thing
FE 410ci bored .030 over, 4 sp toploader
pure fun

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 09:13:05 PM »
I ve used water wetter on our 66 galaxie , 390 2 bblr all iron motor , during the summer months it would vapor lock from time to time , added water wetter just to try and lowered the temp 8- 10 degrees and solved my problem .. Bud
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2014, 05:27:59 AM »
Im going to put a 195 back in ,water wetter , and a new clutch fan for good measure ..... should be good ... thanks guys I will report the finding after a test ....
 :)

Ratbird

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2014, 07:58:12 AM »
Bud, I have a 92 F-250 4x4 with a 460. It's stock, and sometimes vapor locks in the summer months. Never thought to try water wetter in that. I've also heard it works better if there is less anti-freeze in the water.

Dave
1959 T-bird - rat kind of a thing
FE 410ci bored .030 over, 4 sp toploader
pure fun

fe66comet

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2014, 10:49:44 AM »
Interesting, never seen the stuff. I have seen the high performance antifreeze that is supposed to be more efficient, but never tried it.

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2014, 03:24:22 PM »
It s in your summit and jegs catalog , and at o reillys auto parts as well , i found it first in the summit book and order d it .. Bud
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2014, 03:26:43 PM »
Oh and Dave lm not sure , but think i remember reading that on the bottle ..

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2014, 09:35:26 AM »
installed a 195 stat and refilled 50/50 exstended life and tested  runs 200/205 witch is good being I installed a 195 stat.   then added water wetter and it did nothing ! not a single point. (digital temp gauge)  add one more bottle of wetter , tested . not one point.   IMO the watter wetter is a bust and does not work as like most fixes in a bottle.   The stat is opening at 195 right on the money... all tests done with my cars digital temp gauge and a hand held snap on gauge.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2014, 11:05:44 AM »
Cooling system stuff is funny.  I have had exactly the same experience with water wetter that you have - absolutely zero gain.  Yet some people swear by it.

And contrary to your experience, I have never seen coolant temperatures decrease with an increase in the thermostat temperature.  I will say this again, for what it's worth:  Driving down the highway at 60 MPH, your coolant temperature should be exactly on the thermostat temperature.  If its not, your cooling system is lacking in some way, most likely in the radiator's ability to dissipate the heat.

In any case, glad your combination got the problem solved - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2014, 11:18:22 AM »
jay it has not solved the problem..  It is running about the same as before.  just hotter to start with ... Im going to swap the 180 stat back in  I like the temps better with it than the 190 ...  I think the problem is air flow ... after the 180 is back In I think Ill just leave it be... she has not over heated or even got real hot so I dont think I need to over think it .....

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2014, 11:21:42 AM »
Cooling system stuff is funny.  I have had exactly the same experience with water wetter that you have - absolutely zero gain.  Yet some people swear by it.

And contrary to your experience, I have never seen coolant temperatures decrease with an increase in the thermostat temperature.  I will say this again, for what it's worth:  Driving down the highway at 60 MPH, your coolant temperature should be exactly on the thermostat temperature.  If its not, your cooling system is lacking in some way, most likely in the radiator's ability to dissipate the heat.

In any case, glad your combination got the problem solved - Jay

Same here on both counts.    Although I have read about "no thermostat" allowing cavitation at the pump and steam pockets allowing some localized super heating due to a lack of head pressure at the pump (not cap pressure, but resistance to flow)  Stewart water pumps pitches this pretty hard.

For me though, big radiator plus good fan = thermostat temp.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 11:23:50 AM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2014, 02:12:22 PM »
well today has been maintenance day, I reinstalled the 180 stat and just added water back to the system to get the mixture 70/30 or so with watter wetter in there. I then Hot set my new rockers to 17 hot .. I set them cold a couple of weeks ago at 17 and hot they were about 21-23 ..so 17 hot should be a good spot. installed new cover gaskets and buttoned everything back up .... I let it run for a good 15 min and the temp went to 180 back to 165 to 180 to 190 and sat there .... I will be driving it tonight to the st paul car show ... pretty mild out so I dont exspect to see anything hot tonight .....