Author Topic: need C6 help, advice  (Read 2361 times)

66sevets

• View Profile
need C6 help, advice
« on: September 19, 2019, 07:35:44 AM »
I bought this 460 C6 Fairlane on eBay almost a year ago. I took it to the track for the first time yesterday. I drove it around the pits to warm it up and play with the line loc and trans brake buttons. Everything seemed fine so I to it for a run. Went off the trans brake everything went fine shifting at 6000 and ran 11.30 at 116. Turning off and heading up the return road I noticed the trans felt like it was slipping, by the time I got to the ticket booth I had nothing but park. Seems strange to me any ideas?
Steve M.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
Re: need C6 help, advice
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 09:18:49 AM »
Nothing sounds like I'd start with a pump issue.  No line pressure = nothing works.  The direct clutch (IIRC) is engaged in all forward gears so if you have any line pressure you should at least have one gear.  Also lose valve body, loss of fluid and such.  Park is strictly a mechanical linkage and does not depend on hydraulics. 

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 09:26:44 AM »
Have you tried it since? Could be crap in the filter happened to me awhile back on a C6. Worked fine for few miles then nothing but park next day same thing. Cleaned the filter and pan all has been well for the last 1100 miles. Truck had sat quite awhile.

66sevets

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 09:48:43 AM »
I haven't tried it yet today its still in the trailer, it would be nice if it went into gear I need to get it out and in the garage! thanks for the things to check
Steve M.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 09:52:12 AM »
  +1 on checking the filter first , had it happen to me too.

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 09:58:55 AM »
Check for Filter fell off or loose bolts on the Filter and Valve Body assembly

66sevets

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 12:45:18 PM »
moved some stuff around so I could back my trailer to the garage and push the car in, started it up and it went right into gear and backed out on its own. Put it into first and went right in. need to pull the pan.
Steve M.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 01:55:44 PM »
If there is a "deep"pan on it, make sure it has a matching filter.  Not sure on C6 but we have those available for a C4.  That said, in all my years of building and racing automatics I have never had 1) filter come loose or 2) filter "clog".  Good that it moves on it's own, pull the pan and see whats up.  Don't be afraid to call Broader, he's a good vendor and could give you some specific things to look at.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 02:19:24 PM »
Ford had a factory deep C6 pan on the ‘70’s 4x4’s, and used a special filter with a hole & grommet and a push in extension. I use these myself. Chris makes a good point, I’ve seen people on the internet claim they don’t use the special filter & extension with their deep pan C6, it would be a good thing to check if you have a deep pan. Here’s a picture of the filter & extension. The extension is obsolete from Ford, but there are new replacement versions available.

Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

427mach1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 06:36:07 PM »
If there is a "deep"pan on it, make sure it has a matching filter.  Not sure on C6 but we have those available for a C4. 

Deep pans are available for the C-6.  I installed a TCI deep pan on mine and it came with a new filter, filter extension tube, and gasket.  A quick check on Summit Racing and it appears that all the deep C-6 pans come with the extension tube.

66sevets

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2019, 07:05:02 PM »
It has a deep pan on it, need to pull it and see what's inside but it will have to wait. Nostalgia drags this weekend at the local track, going with some gasser friends. Spent the day switching cars in the trailer and getting ready. Thanks for the advice I know where to start looking now!
Steve M.

manofmerc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 02:24:14 PM »
All good responses about pulling the pan .But before doing why not check your pressures ? You will need a gauge designed for such a job .I mean one that is designed for the high pressures a transmission has .The fitting I use is located on the drivers side right above the pan I believe it takes a 3/8" socket .Move your shifter from 1-p that will tell you where you are losing pressure .Nothing wrong with pulling the pan beforehand .But if you have to refill with fresh fluid and you have low pressures most likely your transmission has to come out any way .Just trying to save you some $$$$.Doug

hbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2019, 08:32:15 PM »
i had a similar problem,on a car that sat for 10 years.you could get 5-6 miles down the road perfectly and then nothing.when i dropped the pan the filter was packed full of what looked like spider webs!it worked perfect after cleaning it.by the way it was a 70 AMX !
nice fairlane ,and if dont want to fix it just sell it to me!!!!!