Author Topic: Should you buy a Tunnel Wedge intake? Think again...  (Read 7895 times)

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: Should you buy a Tunnel Wedge intake? Think again...
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2019, 02:54:27 AM »
I have compared single plane Victor and Dove intakes to dual plane single four barrel intakes on a dozen FE engines for EMC.  Within the RPM and cubic inch limits of that particular competition a serious worked over dual plane has outperformed a similarly prepared single plane pretty much every time.  In a couple cases I left the single plane on the engine when it was "close" and I knew I did not have a real competitive entry just 'cuz they look so damn cool.  I regretted that decision one time when it turned out I had a better chance than anticipated.  This year I am trying a JDC modified small runner single plane (Street Dominator) to see if we can find an advantage - something I should have done a long time ago.

For those that do not follow that dyno competition, the rules change yearly, but generally hold us to a 3000 - 4000 wide RPM band peaking between 6500 or 7000 RPM.  Scores are calculated with average power and average torque over the full range - not just the peak values, and they are divided by cubic inches to equalize the various displacements.  We run with limited compression and on pump gas level octane fuel.  These rules favor efficient, somewhat street oriented builds over race type builds.

I believe that the advantages of the dual plane on a street FE are accentuated in part because of the really short center runners compared to the long outers.  A Victor or Dove single plane works best in an application where it can be tuned into a narrower RPM band - as in a racer where the spread between shift RPM and drop down RPM between gears is 1500-2000 RPM.  So far in my experience the dual quads generally outperform the single fours, and the dual planes will out perform the single planes in broad power band street stuff.  Makes the Ford medium riser dual quad (or the BT iteration) a darn tough hombre on the street.  Ford had it figured out a long time ago.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2019, 08:15:22 AM »
On the other hand, as a street racer, killing off some low end power (and using an automatic trans.) is how you win races on street tires, on street surfaces.

…...hmmmmm

paulie

You're givin' away the store there.   8)

plovett

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2019, 08:22:55 AM »
On the other hand, as a street racer, killing off some low end power (and using an automatic trans.) is how you win races on street tires, on street surfaces.

…...hmmmmm

paulie

You're givin' away the store there.   

Whoopsie!   :)

plovett

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2019, 07:48:32 AM »
I don't have one and have never run one, but I think the 2x4 MR Ford or BT must be one of the most amazing and versatile intakes for an FE Ford.  This is judging by Jay's book and other dyno results.  It really kicks butt in the 400-600 hp range.

I have a JDC ported 1x4 BT dual plane intake and a JDC ported Dove Tunnel Wedge.  the 1x4 BT flows in the 375 cfm range and the Dove TW flows in the 470-475 cfm range.   I feel like a 2x4 MR dual plane might bridge the gap. 

JMO,

paulie

jcarlson

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2019, 02:30:08 PM »
A few years ago, I was very interested in this subject since I have both manifolds. I took the actual numbers from Jay's book on his largest engine figuring at least I have a 600HP engine. Jay was smart enough to publish the actual dyno numbers at each rpm not just the curves. I plotted from 4000 rpm (my converter stall) to 6500 (shift point) and found no difference between the two manifolds. As I remember the average horsepower was within 1 HP !! The numbers are the same all the way up.
Another anomaly, was the fact that the TW had slightly more torque than the dual plane down low (around 3000 rpm by my bad memory).
I am now using the BT MR intake and it idles better in the pits than the TW. It could be my imagination but the idle mixture screws seem easier to tune.

Is the BT intake available anymore? It is well executed.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2019, 02:37:48 PM »
yes, the BT 2x4 MR is available (at this moment).

The nature of BT is to do a batch and not make any more for a few years.
I run one on my car as well, very happy with it.

DEANs427

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2019, 01:03:36 PM »
at the drag strip the ET is the only number that matters. I have run both the ford MR and the ford TW on my FE, TW IS .2 TO .3 FASTER in quarter mile and .02 in 60 ft.
1956 Ford Gasser 427FE
1966 Fairlane
1966 Bronco supercharged

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2019, 01:56:04 PM »
That is a lot, right there. Definitely worth it.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

plovett

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2019, 02:04:25 PM »
at the drag strip the ET is the only number that matters. I have run both the ford MR and the ford TW on my FE, TW IS .2 TO .3 FASTER in quarter mile and .02 in 60 ft.

What is your combination if you don't mind saying? 

I guess I am wondering how much engine it takes to make the TW the better choice.   Power?  ET?  RPM?  Combo?

thanks,

paulie
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 05:07:11 PM by plovett »

Chrisss31

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2019, 06:01:06 PM »
As I check up on this thread every day I wonder the same thing.  The thought is good.... but it would be nice to see both manifolds run on the same engine.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 06:17:49 PM by Chrisss31 »

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2019, 09:25:00 PM »
Hard to beat the Wow factor of the TW from a visual standpoint. At a cruise night when those non familiar with FEs see a MR they probably assume it is a stock intake that came on a 427. When they see a TW it is “Holy Shit”, that thing is serious business. So maybe it is not as user friendly down low on a street car, it’s too cool to ignore and wins in my book.
JMO
JB
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

HTM101

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2019, 09:34:50 AM »
I've run a TW for about 20 years and always felt the look is great.  For several reasons I recently decided to remove the TW and installed a new BT 2x4.  I like the BT a lot and it will stay on my engine.

With the TW intake the engine began to get edgy at 2,000 rpm.  With the BT I can putz around at about 1,500 rpm before the edgy factor is annoying.

My car is street-driven and its hard to find a good place to wind it up to 7,000 rpm which is about where the TW starts showing its advantage over the BT.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 08:17:45 AM by HTM101 »

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2019, 10:12:32 AM »
I've run a TW for about 20 years and always felt the look is great...

That is a nicely screwed together motor.

plovett

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2019, 10:23:09 AM »
I've run a TW for about 20 years and always felt the look is great.  For several reasons I recently decided to remove the TW and installed a new BT 2x4.  I like the BT a lot and it will stay on my engine.

With the TW intake the engine began to get edgy at 2,000 rpm.  With the BT I can putz around at about 1,500 rpm before the edgy factor is annoying.

My car is street-driven and its hard to find a good place to wind it up to 7,000 rpm which is about where the TW starts showing its advantage over the BT.

If you click on the link as opposed to the actual picture or "thumbnail"  then click "open", the picture is sized nicely.

paulie

Chrisss31

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2019, 10:25:07 AM »
Seeing them side by side, that TW is a big set of shoes to fill!