Author Topic: My 1966 F100 Short Bed Re-Power 2020 Raptor Crate Engine with 10spd Auto  (Read 7197 times)

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Engine looks like it grew there! Had a new Lightning in 2020 and your installation reminds me of that. The Lightning was the only vehicle I regret selling. Nice, nice, nice job!
Mike.

Thanks!

Pretty sure over last year or so the engine pretty much grew there on its own!
Tomorrow I will load the base Raptor Tune as current tune is base F150 3.5.
Finish up a bit of wiring then I can start putting miles on it prob 500 or so before extended WOT, make sure it's all functioning properly then drop in the dragy for some performance stats.
Once I get the 91 octane tune finalized I can start on the E50 tune and see where it goes from there. Goal would be to go 900 miles on a single fill of E50 but that may be pushing my luck a bit.

Was your lightning the SC 5.0? I wanted to buy or build one of them. Did you ever go to strip or dyno?

Trying to get a idea what this may run on E50. Thinking a low 11 around 125 is possible with a 100 mph in 1/8

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Where did you find that new truck that looks like a '66? Sitting in the back at some dealer with a tarp over it? ;D

KS

Weird thing happened. 21 1/3 yrs ago I bought a 1971 F100 short bed for 2700.00 then traded it for this truck AND he gave me 2800.00 So I was into it for
-100.00 from there it took a few years but instead of deteriorating it slowly approved each year if I drove it or not!

Since then I have 9 more '66 trucks hoping the same happens to all of them . . Eventually I will have 10 1966 trucks that all turn to new.

Quite the concept and quite unusual I suppose?

cammerfe

• View Profile
Must be why they call you 'Timewarp'! :)

KS

winr1

Very nice merge of old an new ..

All ya stuff turns out great

What mufflers if I may ask ??

Ricky.

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Must be why they call you 'Timewarp'! :)

KS

;D ;D ;D Pretty sure that's where the name started from!

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Very nice merge of old an new ..

All ya stuff turns out great

What mufflers if I may ask ??

Ricky.

Thanks! Mufflers are DynoMax Ultra Flow Stainless Round 3"   System all 304 Stainless in 3" with large 3" H pipe style right behind cats.

It was quite loud with the 482 but very good sound. I suppose the Turbo's & Cats helped tone it down. I have not seen anyone do similar on a v6 and it sounded so good, spent a small fortune on Stainless so figured why not keep it the same for the 213 cu in power plant.

Here is short vid what the 482 sounded like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-nC1B3WxMM

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Another vid of the 482 1st test drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SunGDCYUoME

This vid is complete exhaust as built. For this engine only change is I did a 45 on tailpipes to clear the new 27 gallon fuel tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npZDMwMClTc
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 10:49:37 AM by TimeWarpF100 »

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile

winr1

Thanks for the ride  :)

I'm a bit partial to the 482/s exhaust tone  ;D

Ricky.

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
Very Very Slick! How is the power and feel so far?
What paint Single Stage or Base and Clear? Looks better than new! Even the chrome!

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Thanks for the ride  :)

I'm a bit partial to the 482/s exhaust tone  ;D

Ricky.

It did sound good!
Just not ideal for those out of state drives or the planned lower 48state trip!

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Very Very Slick! How is the power and feel so far?
What paint Single Stage or Base and Clear? Looks better than new! Even the chrome!

Low rpm power is unreal even though not building much for boost. Forgot to tighten clamps on tunes from turbos to intercooler! Only 9.5 miles so far. Test drive I had no lights of any kind.

Doing up harnesses for that now. Hoping I can start piling on the miles by next weekend.

Outside of truck is PPG 2 stage. Bottom side is PPG single stage. Still needs sand n buff once it’s all complete.

Quite a few llooonnnggg weekends in it now!

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Looks like 500 RWHP and 25 MPG is possible. At least if it's kept under 60 MPH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3Vj9KOe5gM

cjshaker

• View Profile

That is just an awesome truck. Can't say I like all the junk under the hood, but having a modern drivetrain would be nice for a long haul driver. I imagine the truck is probably at least half a ton lighter than its modern counterpart, so that certainly helps with mileage. The dash gauges, while being modern, still don't look bad in there either. You, sir, have one hell of a nice truck!
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile

That is just an awesome truck. Can't say I like all the junk under the hood, but having a modern drivetrain would be nice for a long haul driver. I imagine the truck is probably at least half a ton lighter than its modern counterpart, so that certainly helps with mileage. The dash gauges, while being modern, still don't look bad in there either. You, sir, have one hell of a nice truck!

Thanks Doug!

Since I already have 3 1966 Trucks that are FE powered and 2 1966 Trucks that are FT powered for what I wanted in a long distance driver with little to no maintenance a FE was just too costly to do especially at this HP level.  I should easily be able to go from Phoenix to Southern California and back home on a tank of fuel. Yesterday I was out driving and had forgot to hook up the electric fans and temp never got over 176 deg. Hottest days of year now with 116 today and 118 forcast for Thursday and Friday.

Underhood is a little busy yeah but if anything goes wrong I can go to about any dealer in country for off the shelf parts.

Not only that but it was a HUGE Challenge to get this done and make it all work. Intention was a 1966 Truck I could take on a Lower 48 state trip with hopefully minimum issues and reasonable on gas. 4x the cost if I had done so with the 482. 

Modern stuff is nice for daily driver but the cost of depreciation alone for just a year or 2 tops paid for this entire job! At a fraction of cost of what a same power FE would be.

My other daily driver is a 1966 F100   with a 352 and  3 spd OD good truck but getting a bit weathered. Building a clone of my dad's out of this one. I have a very basic .020 390 with proper machine work on engine stand ready to go together. The current engine will go in yet another '66 F100 or F250.

With 10 1965-66 trucks all told can't make em all FE's

I also have another 1966 F100 Ranger 352 Factory OD but it's scattered all over shop all apart.