Author Topic: Similar builds  (Read 11150 times)

chilly460

• View Profile
Re: Similar builds
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2020, 03:04:55 PM »
Actually '69 Boss 302 had 2.230" intake valve and 1.711" exhaust valves, and were too large, went to 2.190" in '70, and the Cleveland used the same 2.190" intake valve size.  Joe-JDC

Ford must’ve gotten a deal and needed to use up a batch of 2.19s, all purpose 302 Boss to 460PI universal valves :)

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2020, 01:58:36 AM »
First, thank you, Joe, for the correct valve info. I was siting from long ago memory.

Let me show you some pictures and info, on the canted valves, to show that the shrouding, is less on a canted, than inline engine and they can't be compared equally.

You can see, looking down the filled intake port, that when the valve opens, it's moving away from the cyl wall and the higher the lift, the less cyl wall to valve shrouding there is. If the lift was high enough and the cyl wall. long enough, the valve would hit the opposite cyl wall. The exhaust is set up the same way and at some point, if the lift and over lap is extended, they would run into each other. That is why canted valve engines got the nick name of Simi-Hemi.

A inline valve engine, with inclined valves, the valve, will remain near the cyl wall and get closer to the radius of that cyl wall as lift increases.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 02:07:46 AM by frnkeore »
Frank

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2020, 05:05:51 AM »
First, thank you, Joe, for the correct valve info. I was siting from long ago memory.

Let me show you some pictures and info, on the canted valves, to show that the shrouding, is less on a canted, than inline engine and they can't be compared equally.

You can see, looking down the filled intake port, that when the valve opens, it's moving away from the cyl wall and the higher the lift, the less cyl wall to valve shrouding there is. If the lift was high enough and the cyl wall. long enough, the valve would hit the opposite cyl wall. The exhaust is set up the same way and at some point, if the lift and over lap is extended, they would run into each other. That is why canted valve engines got the nick name of Simi-Hemi.

A inline valve engine, with inclined valves, the valve, will remain near the cyl wall and get closer to the radius of that cyl wall as lift increases.

The exhaust valve on a 4V Cleveland will hit the cylinder wall down in the cylinder at .720" lift (using 1.73 rocker ratio) with a 1.71" exhaust valve and a 4.015" bore.   Dropping back to a 1.6 gives .660" lift and gets it away from the cylinder.  But it's still shrouded.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 05:12:12 AM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2020, 06:29:35 AM »
I don't want to be a wet blanket, but is there any answerable question here?

Just to be clear why I am saying this. The first round, many of us looked at the question as being "If you built the two engines with the same parts, what would the difference be?"  In essence, an oversquare vs undersquare cid question.  I think it's pretty clear that within a small variance, HP per cid stays about the same

If we now shift to the same question but add the largest logical valve we can for each bore, the rest of the build would change dramatically to still be optimized for engine, which then requires additional changes and cost (not talking only money, but cost on the curve too), depending on intent (same rpm range?, peak power only? peak torque in a certain RPM range?)   Even Frank as a racer, would design a car for a specific RPM range and of course people on the forum often are building for an existing configuration of the rest of the car

Some thoughts of what would change that make comparable builds difficult to compare

- Intake port change - highly probable to keep port shape correct and take advantage of a valve size change
- Cam change - likely if we are going to keep in the same RPM range, but then you run into "big port small cam" or "small port big cam" comparison.  This could be significant, think of TP vs CJ head, or think of high riser vs CJ head. The cam design is wholly different for those heads and a given cid
- Intake manifold - maybe change too, but depends on the head and what the new build was
- Chamber shape and size - likely with a bigger valve, to include valve spacing, which could actually hobble the big bore a little, especially if it can't make compression without a dome
- Compression change - likely with cam change (and could actually have to be lower for the big bore if trying to stay in the same RPM range)

There is no doubt there is some good thinking going on, but I don't know how you could compare those engines.  A valve size change without any change to anything else doesn't change much if anything.  Remember, the valve itself just gets out of the way, what you are trying to do when discussing shrouding is make room for a bigger seat and throat as that valve gets out of the way.  Of course at low lift the valve is part of the equation, but if you don't optimize the rest of the port, as I said in an earlier post, you are just putting bigger lid on a trash can.  It covers it, but the trash can (throat) is still the same size.

I post this only because I started playing in the sim and realized either the builds departed so far from each other, or to stay in the same RPM range, I had to pick cams and compression we wouldn't run in two comparable engines.   

This discussion then turns into the old "stone soup" story, and the changes add up to a different build all together. If just going for peak power regardless of RPM range, then it's simple, big bore, big head, cam to peak, compression for cam and fuel, and the one with the best cylinder fill wins.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 06:38:24 AM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2020, 10:57:58 AM »
about the 91000 dollar engine with the large bore spacing.anyone ever thought about designing a fe based ,large bore spacing 1000 ci engine or is the fe design not a good candidate for big ci,big power?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 11:06:20 AM by fryedaddy »
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new