Author Topic: Elgin cams  (Read 1001 times)

Greaterthenjake

• View Profile
Elgin cams
« on: April 20, 2021, 06:10:04 PM »
So not a fe application. But does anyone have experience with Elgin Cams? Looking for good bad or ugly info. Helping with a ::shiver:: LS swap and my friend is using a Elgin cam and I don't have much knowledge.

gregaba

• View Profile
Re: Elgin cams
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 01:12:22 PM »
I have used Elgin cams for stock rebuilds and never had a problem with them.
Greg

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 01:18:24 PM »
A lot of the smaller cam companies don't have the latest tech cam grinding equipment.   The big guys use CNC stuff these days.  There are some smaller companies still using blanks and cam grinders that follow the blanks. 

When you're stuck with blanks, then your lobe catalog can suffer. 

I've never used Elgin, but in comparison to Comp or Bullet, the precision may not be there, nor will the lobe selection.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Greaterthenjake

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 01:36:07 PM »
So I was poking around after asking. And it seems the cam is is multiple catalogs it's different pn's but from what I gather the same cam. Even China is knocking it off as the elgin number. So my concern just went up even further... I guess it's degree and pray or find a cam from a known company. Thanks for the replies this forum is a wealth of knowledge.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 03:01:59 PM »
So Dama Elgin was one of the lead cam grinders in the day, and used to do some very good stuff (for back then).  I believe he was the pioneer of the 5th cycle, which was acknowledging the use of overlap for cylinder fill.  No rookie

However, their business model either changed or was acquired by someone else because they became "rebuild kit" parts for the most part.

In the 90s to now, their cams are very much the 204/214 slow ramp universal grinds, and my last set of Elgin lifters (1994-ish) looked like the base didn't fit well, enough that I put the new parts on the shelf and never used them

I wouldn't use if I could help it, but likely decent enough
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 09:33:53 PM »
I basically live in the town of Elgin. Haven't researched them heavily but always considered a good local option for stock rebuild items. The starter for my FE/6R80 is from Elgin. No complaints but different product category.
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO