Author Topic: Weight savings part deux: "Feline Diet"  (Read 4043 times)

cammerfe

• View Profile
Re: Weight savings part deux: "Feline Diet"
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2021, 05:20:49 PM »
My '72 Pinto weighed 2260 with 1140 on the back tires. This was after I put in a full 2X3 frame and 8-point cage, and chopped the top 4 inches. I used an all iron 466 SCJ (built the engine to run limited late model at Toledo Speedway. They required an iron intake manifold. Used a C6, and a 9" rear out of a Lincoln Versailles. Used Transverse fiberglas springs and Koni shocks. 'Glas doors, front clip and rear quarters.

I think the same car with an all aluminum engine would go at less than 2000 pounds.

KS

plovett

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2021, 05:58:34 PM »
My '72 Pinto weighed 2260 with 1140 on the back tires. This was after I put in a full 2X3 frame and 8-point cage, and chopped the top 4 inches. I used an all iron 466 SCJ (built the engine to run limited late model at Toledo Speedway. They required an iron intake manifold. Used a C6, and a 9" rear out of a Lincoln Versailles. Used Transverse fiberglas springs and Koni shocks. 'Glas doors, front clip and rear quarters.

I think the same car with an all aluminum engine would go at less than 2000 pounds.

KS

Please tell me you have a pic!   I'd punch a nun in the face for a ride in a big block Pinto!   

paul

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2021, 09:52:46 PM »
Some form of fiberglass front/rear bumpers if anything is available?

I did a bit of searching for composite leaf springs for the Cougar. No luck just yet since they are longer than the Mustang ones. Let me know if you find a source or solution. Perhaps the shorter leaf springs could be made to work with some slider shackles etc...
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2021, 10:00:20 PM »
I was also looking into the composite springs, seems like a good idea, forget the cost though.
The standard steel springs I am also looking into cost around $500. They have a sort of built in traction bar, a couple extra half leafs just in the front. Supposedly they work really well.
But they claim the composite ones virtually eliminate wheel hop, and are quite a bit lighter.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2021, 10:46:38 PM »

KS

Please tell me you have a pic!   I'd punch a nun in the face for a ride in a big block Pinto!   

paul
I was Tech-Editor-At-Large for Super Ford Magazine at the time and it was all pictured in the Magazine. I wrote a dozen or more articles as I was building it, but lost my string book and all copies of the magazine during a move some years ago. I keep telling myself that a dedicated search on the internet might enable me to find copies but I've never done it.

KS

plovett

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2021, 05:04:45 AM »
I was also looking into the composite springs, seems like a good idea, forget the cost though.
The standard steel springs I am also looking into cost around $500. They have a sort of built in traction bar, a couple extra half leafs just in the front. Supposedly they work really well.
But they claim the composite ones virtually eliminate wheel hop, and are quite a bit lighter.

Not composite, but Calvert does make mono leaf springs.   That has to save a lot.  On the wrong side of the car, though.

https://calvertracing.com/product-categories/springs

plovett

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2021, 06:03:37 AM »

KS

paul
I was Tech-Editor-At-Large for Super Ford Magazine at the time and it was all pictured in the Magazine. I wrote a dozen or more articles as I was building it, but lost my string book and all copies of the magazine during a move some years ago. I keep telling myself that a dedicated search on the internet might enable me to find copies but I've never done it.

KS

Some of these mention a Project Pinto in the table of contents.

https://jimsmegamagazines.com/magazines-auto-super-ford/c-21-83.html

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2021, 07:52:31 AM »
Put a lift bag in the rear seat area and pump it full of helium.

How much weight personally could you stand to lose? Driver wears a speedo?

Narrow tires. Fabricated gauge-holding aluminum dash - replacing the original.

Chop the top. Plastic fuel cell replacing the steel tank.

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2021, 08:46:14 AM »
What's your budget, Paulie? What are your end goals for the car? For a bracket car, best bang for the buck is in lightening up rotating parts and unsprung weight. How about a carbon fiber drive shaft? A Wilwood kit up front would help. Heck, why not a straight front axle why were at it? Replacing the flat glass pieces with Lexan would help. The door windows could be done like the T-bolts ditching the crank and regulators. Fiberglass body panels, not sure what's available. There's a bunch to be had inside a C6 too.
Kevin McCullah

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2021, 09:27:44 AM »
What's your budget, Paulie? What are your end goals for the car?....There's a bunch to be had inside a C6 too.

I believe Mark Williams? offers an aluminum 9" housing.

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2021, 11:55:18 AM »
Pete Robinson used to wear nothing under his fire suit except underwear, and light weight shoes also!

plovett

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2021, 12:26:22 PM »
What's your budget, Paulie? What are your end goals for the car? For a bracket car, best bang for the buck is in lightening up rotating parts and unsprung weight. How about a carbon fiber drive shaft? A Wilwood kit up front would help. Heck, why not a straight front axle why were at it? Replacing the flat glass pieces with Lexan would help. The door windows could be done like the T-bolts ditching the crank and regulators. Fiberglass body panels, not sure what's available. There's a bunch to be had inside a C6 too.

There is no budget.   Like most guys I just buy things as I go along.   I try to make sensible purchases, though.   I guess none of what we do really makes "sense" anyway.  If it did we'd just run turbo'd LS's or ultimately just buy an electric car.    That'd be faster and simpler and more economical.

Still, I do have an idea of what I want so your point is well taken.   End goal is to have fun.   I do intend to run 10's in street trim at some point.  A 10.99 would be fine.   I want my car to look fairly stock on the outside.  I even run '65 Galaxie hubcaps on my Weld wheels sometimes (They're pretty light).  The Cougar is stripped and pretty brutal for most people under 50.

The C6 is rollerized and full manual.  Still a good C4 would likely gain me a tenth or maybe 15 hundredths. 

I hate straight axles.   Sorry gasser guys.  Whatever weight is saved is negated by the horrendous aerodynamics, if you go over 100 anyway.  Plus all the other issues like wacky handling and poor visibility.   

I am thinking I will concentrate on the front half of the car.  I would love to find a fiberglass (front) bumper.   Fiberglass fenders and hood would be great, but I don't know if they are cost effective, for the weight loss. I also would like to do the lexan side windows and remove the window guts.   An aluminum radiator sounds good too, as I can improve cooling at the same time as reducing weight.   Also, the front brakes sound like a good idea to save a considerable amount of weight up front while improving stopping power.   I'll also put my plastic bucket seats in and not put in my roll bar. 

So in order I think I will do:
1) Look for a fiberglass bumper
2) Aluminum radiator
3) Thin lexan side windows with strap to raise and lower.
4) lightweight front disc brakes.

Question:  Does anybody know if '67 Mustang side (coupe) windows and '67 Cougar side windows are the same?   I think they are, but I am not sure.  That would make getting the lexan easier.

Thanks for all the ideas!

paul

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 04:13:56 PM by plovett »

plovett

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2021, 12:50:42 PM »
I just emailed US Body Source asking about fiberglass bumpers.  They list hoods and fenders on their site, but not bumpers.  Maybe they can make one for me?

Anybody know if Fiberglass Trends is still around?

paul

machoneman

• View Profile
Bob Maag

plovett

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2021, 08:52:06 PM »