Author Topic: FE diaper  (Read 1911 times)

KMcCullah

• View Profile
FE diaper
« on: April 22, 2021, 09:04:10 AM »
The tech guys at my local track (NHRA) are requiring I put on a diaper. (Insert incontinency joke here ::)) In the past I've been allowed to slide without one since the F100 is street legal. But now we have a new sheriff in town.

Does anyone have a diaper suggestion for a FE with an 8qt rear sump pan? No front or mid plate so it has fit around motor mounts.
Thanks fellers
Kevin McCullah

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Re: FE diaper
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 09:12:06 AM »
With a straight axle it should be a pretty easy fit.  I've contemplated one for the wagon, but with nary 1/2" clearance between the pan and the tubular crossmember I'm not sure how I could get one in there?  I have since changed out the 9 qt deep pan for an 8 qt T pan, so I don't have to worry about scraping the pad on the ground when it comes down from a wheelstand.
Larry

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 09:56:51 AM »
Why my car runs 7.55 in the 1/8, at 7.49 I have to put a diaper on it.  With the Falcon/Fairlane cross member, front deep sump and headers that hug the block, no way.  Note - you could also consider a pan, those are NHRA legal if the pan meets the requirements.  With my rear steer, that's a no-go also. 

I can tell you that a generic "small block" diaper fits a full sump deep drag pan on a 351C.  You may have to consider a custom built unit.  Not super expense but not cheap.  But then, neither is tossing a rod and putting the car into the wall.  The diapers work. 

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 10:39:07 AM »
When my racing buddy started running 9’s he had to get one for his car. His is a 351W based SBF in a ‘67 Mustang, but it was custom made and around $200. His engine has both the regular engine mounts and a front plate. It fits nice & snug. You fill out a diagram form with the dimensions you need, it’s not a one size fits all. They can add heat resistant material anywhere that gets close to headers also, his has a section of that. It was made by a company called Russler II. I’ve seen other positive comments on various Internet forums about them. I’ll be going with one on my current FE project too in the not too distant future. The custom diapers aren’t overly expensive as long as you don’t need the SFI rated ones. Here’s the link:

https://russlerii.com/
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 11:46:59 AM »
I use a RussellII on my car. Fits great, and wasn't much more then a poorly fitting one.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 10:53:49 PM »
That kinda stuff is a pain in the A**. I had to install a blanket on the trans on my ECTA car. It was more trouble to install than the belly pan.

KS

Hiriser57

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 07:15:30 AM »
Engine diapers.com can make one.

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2021, 09:00:24 AM »
Thanks for the pointers fellers. Will definitely be talking with Russler II.

The track is mandating a diaper due to several oil downs that happened last year. It took hours to clean each time, which caused the races to run past the county's curfew. I hate the thought of putting a mask over my cross bolts!   >:(
Kevin McCullah

JohnN-1BADFE

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2021, 09:30:03 AM »
The tech guys at my local track (NHRA) are requiring I put on a diaper. (Insert incontinency joke here ::)) In the past I've been allowed to slide without one since the F100 is street legal. But now we have a new sheriff in town.

Bandimere?  Is there an E.T. in which they require a diaper?
67 Fairlane GT - 390/451 stroker - 654HP / 552TQ

67 Fairlane S/W - 390/458 stroker with tri-power - 515HP / 595TQ

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2021, 02:07:01 PM »
Take this as general info, it can probably vary from division to division and track to track. Best is to ask your track or division. I don’t think there’s necessarily a hard ET rule (yet) for the “Lower engine oil-retention device”, the NHRA rulebook states “as required by the class”. For us in division 5 a diaper ( or belly pan as mentioned ) is required 9.99 and quicker for ET bracket cars to run at the division 5 ET Finals event since 2012. NHRA is mostly concerned with the Divisional & National events. It’s the clean up time required for oil downs they want to minimize. For example by the rulebook a diaper is required for Super Street, even though that runs off a 10.90 index, so in that example the 9.99 isn’t the deciding factor. Beyond the National & Divisional events I think NHRA is still letting the tracks decide if they institute a rule for it at their local events. From what I’ve seen most of the bigger tracks have been moving to the diaper from 9.99 & quicker, but I’ve seen reports of tracks requiring them for 10.99 & quicker too. Best is to check your local track guidelines. I don’t think it’s been an issue at Beaver Springs for the FE Race & Reunion, but we didn’t go last year, and I don’t think it’s been pushed at Hot Rod Dragweek either, although that didn’t run last year.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 02:09:49 PM by thatdarncat »
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2021, 06:09:21 AM »
Thanks for the pointers fellers. Will definitely be talking with Russler II.

The track is mandating a diaper due to several oil downs that happened last year. It took hours to clean each time, which caused the races to run past the county's curfew. I hate the thought of putting a mask over my cross bolts!   >:(

You're worried about covering your cross bolts with a diaper? Will you be deducted show points for that?

Tracks are limited in time enough the way it is. Only open a few weekends a month, and that is IF weather cooperates. Some tracks have curfews. A diaper can save hours of track time cleanup. 2-3 cleanups per day mean the difference of you getting 1 run in, or a dozen. 

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2021, 08:25:46 AM »
On my brothers Maverick 347 his diaper didn't fit either but had a seamstriss (sp?) looked at it and made a few modifications and now fits better , clears headers , steering components and easily removed for service . Might be something to consider