Author Topic: Diaphragm or three finger clutch?  (Read 2796 times)

fairlaniac

• View Profile
Diaphragm or three finger clutch?
« on: April 12, 2021, 11:53:44 AM »
I am not sure why one is chosen over the other? I am going to install a Tremec TKX 5 speed in my ' 66 Fairlane. Currently I have a 1-3/8-10 toploader using a Ram three finger pressure plate. To use this trans in my Fairlane w/427 I have purchased a Quicktime bell housing. The Tremec has a 1-1/8"-26 input. So I purchased a new fork that uses a small input bearing for a 390 car and the release bearing. My current clutch won't work as I'm sure the release bearing will not catch the fingers properly. I just don't know if I should get a diaphragm pressure plate or a three finger like I've been using? I see Ram have clutches for the 1-1/8-26 input.

Thanks,
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Diaphragm or three finger clutch?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 12:12:51 PM »
I do not know of a good disk material for a diaphragm right now.  I absolutely love mine in my Mustang, but it is a discontinued Kevlar dual material disk.  I have not heard that there is a good alternative that can exceed the performance of a good Long style anymore.  That being said, pedal pressure is awesomely comfortable, even without an assist spring under the dash

In the end though, I go Long on everything now due to simple performance and more choices.  Great luck with Ram in more aggressive racers, although I run McLeod in my own vehicles, admittedly out of brand loyalty more than anything.

Additionally, the last CJ / TKO that hit the road with one of my engines had a Ram 3 finger and it did great, easy enough on the leg and we hit it pretty hard with drag radials and full Calvert suspension and it didn't even whimper

I would go with the correct Long style.  Brent can likely set you up

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 12:19:12 PM »
I am not sure why one is chosen over the other? I am going to install a Tremec TKX 5 speed in my ' 66 Fairlane. Currently I have a 1-3/8-10 toploader using a Ram three finger pressure plate. To use this trans in my Fairlane w/427 I have purchased a Quicktime bell housing. The Tremec has a 1-1/8"-26 input. So I purchased a new fork that uses a small input bearing for a 390 car and the release bearing. My current clutch won't work as I'm sure the release bearing will not catch the fingers properly. I just don't know if I should get a diaphragm pressure plate or a three finger like I've been using? I see Ram have clutches for the 1-1/8-26 input.

Thanks,

You can use either.  However, a Long style generally works easier with a factory linkage.  If it's a HTOB or master/slave, then it doesn't really matter. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 01:03:48 PM »
Am I on the right track with this? I just don't know if it's 3/8" bolts or 5/16"? I have 5/16" tapped flywheel.
https://ramclutches.com/product/98769HDT/
Doug Bender

Jim Kramer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 01:31:03 PM »
I installed a Ram diaphragm clutch in my 390 67 Mustang, and I do NOT like it. All of the engagement occurs within about one inch of pedal movement. I can adjust the engagement point up or down , but not the rate of engagement. Its drivable but not very handy. Mine is not the only one that works this way, I have a friend with a 390 Fairlane that works the same way..........Jim Kramer

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 01:33:29 PM »
Am I on the right track with this? I just don't know if it's 3/8" bolts or 5/16"? I have 5/16" tapped flywheel.
https://ramclutches.com/product/98769HDT/

That would work. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2021, 02:44:20 PM »
I installed a Ram diaphragm clutch in my 390 67 Mustang, and I do NOT like it. All of the engagement occurs within about one inch of pedal movement. I can adjust the engagement point up or down , but not the rate of engagement. Its drivable but not very handy. Mine is not the only one that works this way, I have a friend with a 390 Fairlane that works the same way..........Jim Kramer

My McLeod doesn't do that at all, just a good clutch and acts normal.  I haven't tried the Ram diaphragm, but not sure I'd experiment with one anyway.  The Longs work well.  I am not looking forward to replacing my McLeod Kevlar/Organic, and even asked if they could rebuild it when the time comes, but the material is no longer available
Ross
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 06:56:20 AM »
You couldn't give me a diaphragm clutch...

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 07:14:30 AM »
I don't want a diaphragm clutch. I wasn't sure if there was a reason and if it was my only option. Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 08:25:24 AM by fairlaniac »
Doug Bender

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 09:04:47 AM »
You couldn't give me a diaphragm clutch...

Times 2   
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 10:24:02 AM »
The hate for them is widespread, and to be honest, in the old days of Perfection, Centerforce and some of the others, I wouldn't have used one either, especially CF

I do agree for the money and general ease of setup, for a single disk clutch, the Long style is much easier to set up and more options available for our cars.

However, jury remains out on mine, it's only been behind the 4.11 TKO'd 489 for 15 years :)

Ross

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2021, 02:13:56 PM »
The hatred for CF.  LOL!!   I still run one in my '69 F100.  Been there for decades....like 3 of them!!  It does the job well for what I do.

I even raced that combo in my wagon for the first couple seasons, then it all went back in the truck.....and still going.  I do have about zero freeplay to get it to shift at 6000 rpm.  Any freeplay and it won't do it.

I do have one funny story about CF.  I did break a disc(pulled the springs out of the hub) in the wagon one time.  I called them directly to get a replacement.  Their comment to me...I have to buy the whole kit because the disc is "balanced with the pressure plate".  Say what???  Who are you trying to kid?   I finally got them to sell me just the disc and it is still in the truck.

I will likely not buy another one come the day I need to replace it.
Larry

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2021, 03:02:50 PM »
Larry, LOTS of successful CF use out there.  My avoidance was because of the mini-truck fad in the late 80s, early 90s.  We had these lifted Toyotas come in and want a CF, then they'd come apart.  It could as easily been the clutch as it was the huge tires and tall gears, but a stock replacement would hold a bit longer.  Now my best buddy with one in a 390 Mustang is unhappy with it and has been for a long time, basically doesn't like engagement more than anything, but I have never tried one in an FE

Ross

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2021, 04:06:35 PM »
The McLeod diaphragm PP in my street Fairlane has been flawless, smooth engagement, light pedal, clean shifts at 6.5k (except for third gear on my TKO!).  Car has gone 11.40 @ 122mph.  I will be replacing it with a dual disc setup soon, but more as a reliability buffer than to fix a problem.  Clutch has been in the car for ten years.  Can't ask for more than that.
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2021, 10:33:13 PM »
When I got started on cars, they were mostly Fords. Ford gave you the choice of a Long clutch. (You DID read that properly) I've always used Long clutches.

KS

Lowrider

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2021, 07:43:47 AM »
The 61 Starliner I picked up a few years ago has a diaphragm clutch. Works fine but then I don't get into racing anymore. That said, I've never been a fan of those clutches. Starting to gather parts for a 427 for it and I think I'll include a long style clutch for it.

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2021, 03:31:21 PM »
Wow, glad I clicked on this thread....
Back in the day, some 20 years ago I guess, I got it seared into my brain that lever type clutches were not the way to go on a performance engine, if you had a good motor, a diaphragm was the way to go.
Maybe I’m remembering it wrong, or my young mind bought into all the Center force hype.

I’ve got my own clutch questions but Ill put them in my other weight savings thread.

Great info though, great thread.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2021, 05:28:00 AM »
Diaphram clutches are not adjustable, that is why they are not used much in racing. 
Larry

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2021, 07:16:39 AM »

Maybe I’m remembering it wrong, or my young mind bought into all the Center force hype.

No doubt about it, Centerforce had an excellent advertising strategy that worked very well. I used one in my Mach when I first "finished" it about 20 years ago. It only lasted one year before giving up, trashing my steel flywheel in the process, and I didn't race it back then.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe