Author Topic: Machined One Piece rocker plate  (Read 1744 times)

1967 XR7 GT

• View Profile
Machined One Piece rocker plate
« on: April 07, 2021, 10:39:07 PM »
I am looking for the post where one of the members posted his rocker stand plate he machined. It's a one piece rocker stand plate that replaces the individual rocker stands.

I thought I had saved the topic, but I can't find it.  Hopefully some one remembers the post ?

Thanks
Richard

"Frankly, I'm tired of hearing all the complaints; makes me wonder why I bother hosting this forum."

Jb427

• View Profile
Re: Machined One Piece rocker plate
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 11:27:36 PM »
I know some one who has made some i had a look at them yesterday. Not sure if they are the same ones you are thinking of they are one piece alloy lower plate uses stock style shaft has built in oil restrictors.

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 01:10:27 AM »
http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=9558.25

Could this be it? It's not one piece though.
Frank

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 03:00:33 AM »
100% not those I almost took a phone pic of them too I can ask for a pic not sure if he would want to share or not they are cnc made and they are more like a t/d race rocker upper plate but for a full shaft and std/roller tip type rockers and bolt to std head stand mounts.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 03:50:33 AM »
I sell one-piece steel laser cut stand shims in .060”, .080”, and .110” thicknesses.  Long enough to support end stands.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

1967 XR7 GT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 04:52:49 AM »
http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=9558.25

Could this be it? It's not one piece though.

Those are it. Thanks

And the ones JB427 mentioned, pictures of those would be great. Those are more in to what I was thinking about.

I am thinking stands like the T&D Race rockers, but with a single shaft, but not only with the stock shaft mounting, but the also held down with the head studs. That's why I would like to see the ones JB 427 has mentioned also. 
Richard

"Frankly, I'm tired of hearing all the complaints; makes me wonder why I bother hosting this forum."

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 05:41:55 AM »
i am pretty sure the set i looked at don't use the std long shaft stud the lower plate is bolted to the head stand boss's then the shaft is captured with 2 bolt cap they extended out between each valve set i did not really look to hard at them the bloke that made them owns a cnc business so they may be much more custom then i know he may of made rockers too he has made rockers for cammer engines before as well. Not sure anything has been real world tested yet but they looked pretty trick. I will see what i can find out and if i can share the info he is on this forum that is how i met him not many people have much to do with fe engines here he had 4 or 5 in all stages of building.

Wanted to add i am no engineer so my description may be wrong was some thing like i attempted to describe above.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 05:58:22 AM by Jb427 »

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 06:15:58 AM »
Ah, I understand what you're referring to now. 

FWIW, here is the modification that I'm doing to T&D street rockers:

We bored the stands for a bronze bushing that takes the slop out of the stand/stud relationship, and then fitted the heads with TimeSerts.  Once the rockers are installed with the bushings, there is no movement like there was before. 

I did this on my 352, which is sitting almost at 700 lbs open pressure and turning 7500 rpm.  After this past dyno session, I pulled the rockers off and there was no fretting.  With the previous iteration, there was fretting shown on the steel shims underneath the stands.

I feel confident in this setup and I will use this on Tunnel Port builds from here on out since they are such a pain to fit them with T&D race rockers.

For anything else, before I would have custom stands or rockers made, I would just move to the T&D race rocker.  Securing the rockers with a head bolt and using a paired rocker is the absolute best way and will withstand >1000 lb valve spring scenarios. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 06:26:08 AM »
Ah, I understand what you're referring to now. 

FWIW, here is the modification that I'm doing to T&D street rockers:

We bored the stands for a bronze bushing that takes the slop out of the stand/stud relationship, and then fitted the heads with TimeSerts.  Once the rockers are installed with the bushings, there is no movement like there was before. 

I did this on my 352, which is sitting almost at 700 lbs open pressure and turning 7500 rpm.  After this past dyno session, I pulled the rockers off and there was no fretting.  With the previous iteration, there was fretting shown on the steel shims underneath the stands.

I feel confident in this setup and I will use this on Tunnel Port builds from here on out since they are such a pain to fit them with T&D race rockers.

For anything else, before I would have custom stands or rockers made, I would just move to the T&D race rocker.  Securing the rockers with a head bolt and using a paired rocker is the absolute best way and will withstand >1000 lb valve spring scenarios. 

take Brent's info if i can get pic's you would have to make your own.

What makes T&D's race rockers hard to fit on tunnel ports is there just less meat in the head in the area to fit the subplate?

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 06:39:18 AM »
The one piece deal is pretty cool.  If you want to positively locate stands on heads you just use dowel pins.  I was doing that years ago before the T&D race stuff was available.  Two 1/8" dowels per stand will keep them from squirming around and improves things quite a bit.

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2021, 09:53:41 PM »
I never have done it but thought about doing this on my High Riser. Using thread in rocker studs like the ones used on smallblock Fords and Chevys. The hex tightened down on the head, whuch may require cutting down the threads, but that leaves the studs stable. Then enlarge the bottom of the stand holes to fit over the hex. An oil hole could be drilled through the hex on one stud and act as a built in restrictor. That way you aren't using the heads threads to clamp it down.