Author Topic: SOHC Rockers  (Read 3153 times)

durkzz8

• View Profile
SOHC Rockers
« on: April 08, 2021, 03:29:50 PM »
Just saw an ad on facebook for Gerald Coon machining and selling new SOHC rockers. Any relation to Bill Coon?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: SOHC Rockers
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 03:39:53 PM »
Gerald is not related to Bill, I believe he has been making the SOHC chain guides for quite a while.  I haven't heard anything bad about dealing with him.  I'm not too impressed with his rockers though, they look like bulked-up copies of the stock rockers, and use the same needle bearing design.  I've blown up enough of the needle bearing rockers (stock, T&D, RAS, Dove...) to know about the problems, which is why I periodically build my own...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

durkzz8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 03:44:44 PM »
Thanks, My papa had a terrible experience with Bill years ago and was left with a big hole in his pocket and no parts. He tried several times to get in touch with no luck. He passed in 2017 and when I saw the ad I wanted to make sure it was not Bill's operation using a different name like I am pretty sure he did with us before. Never was able to speak to him, it was always one of his goons. Pretty sure that goon was him though.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 04:23:33 PM »
Sounds like Bill Coon, alright  >:(
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 01:30:56 PM »
Sounds like Bill Coon, alright  >:(

F'n Coon... Surprised someone hasn't made him eat his own teeth, using a baseball bat.

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 06:58:49 PM »
More Coon bashing?
I thought that was finished awhile ago?

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 07:18:22 PM »
More Coon bashing?

He still has a website. No physical address provided, phone and email only. Seems he will take your money.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 08:57:48 AM »
Just saw an ad on facebook for Gerald Coon machining and selling new SOHC rockers. Any relation to Bill Coon?

Gerald is no relation to Bill Coon. It's been a while since I've been around Gerald, but he was always pretty honest when I knew him. At one time he had a super nice '69 Boss 429 with an SOHC in it. Not sure if he still has it or not. Gerald and his brother Gary are both big Ford guys.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

ntheogen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 09:38:29 AM »
Gerald is definitely not related to or in any way connected to Bill.  He is a friend of mine and does top notch work, the SOHC rockers are made from ultra high end Swedish alloy, I have seen them in person, they are extremely nice.

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 10:12:08 AM »
More Coon bashing?

The bashing will continue, until he can no longer scam people out of their money. This hobby is expensive enough. Don't need people to lose what they have worked for, and have dreamed about for a lifetime.

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2021, 03:28:48 PM »
The bashing will continue, until he can no longer scam people out of their money. This hobby is expensive enough. Don't need people to lose what they have worked for, and have dreamed about for a lifetime.

Nice.
When will the Jim Dove bashing begin?
Funny how Ford FE forums like to throw many performance parts pioneers under the table.
Before Edelbrock who was making ANY FE parts? Let me guess - Jim Dove.
Who else spent a fortune to resurrect the SOHC 427 heads and associated hardware?
Did Mr. Coon make mistakes? Yes of course he did. Did some pre-pay for parts they never received? I have heard yes.
Did some eventually get the parts they pre-paid for? I have heard yes to that as well.

How many times have we heard that pre-paid parts were never delivered by some well known FE shops? A few times yes.
Many businesses who supply custom low volume parts require pre-payment. Sometimes there are issues will delivering parts
that are not entirely the fault of the business owner.

The thanks Jim Dove gets are few.
The thanks Mr. Coon gets are also few.
I think they both deserve some respect for attempting to get something to FE racers.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2021, 06:11:25 PM »
Drank the Kool-Aid, eh? Geez, some folks!  :o
Bob Maag

ntheogen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2021, 08:38:06 PM »

Nice.
When will the Jim Dove bashing begin?
Funny how Ford FE forums like to throw many performance parts pioneers under the table.
Before Edelbrock who was making ANY FE parts? Let me guess - Jim Dove.
Who else spent a fortune to resurrect the SOHC 427 heads and associated hardware?
Did Mr. Coon make mistakes? Yes of course he did. Did some pre-pay for parts they never received? I have heard yes.
Did some eventually get the parts they pre-paid for? I have heard yes to that as well.

How many times have we heard that pre-paid parts were never delivered by some well known FE shops? A few times yes.
Many businesses who supply custom low volume parts require pre-payment. Sometimes there are issues will delivering parts
that are not entirely the fault of the business owner.

The thanks Jim Dove gets are few.
The thanks Mr. Coon gets are also few.
I think they both deserve some respect for attempting to get something to FE racers.

Did Jim Dove make badass parts when no one else did, yes. Nobody is saying anything contrary to that fact. Did he have less than stellar business practices that caused many guys to waste money on parts that were unusable, YES.

Does Bill Coon still continue to rip people off to this very day? YES, he just burned a good friend of mine for $2500.

You are missing the ENTIRE point....

428kidd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2021, 08:46:05 AM »
Plus one on what Jack said. Jim Dove kept the FE going through the dark ages, and managed to make some killer parts along the way. He could have been a pioneer in our field, the go to guy. Instead he choose to manage poorly his quality control and parts production and delivery process. Bill Coon , i have personally never dealt , but would not if i could afford his product. Its hard to take up for anyone who steals from people period. If you take money from someone and don't deliver the paid for product in a set time frame the money should be returned or product produced, if that cant be done then that is stealing . If you have to sue said person to get your money back that costs money, and time and aggravation that no one needs. Bottom line i dont care what your making if you cant get what you said you would get for someone in a time frame agreed on then send them there money back. Im going through that right now with a guy on FB . Ive paid for and waiting on a set of center caps for almost two years. Does the guy make a killer product? Yes.  Am i happy it is almost two years ago? No . Does he deserve a pat on the back for making a good product ? Yes. Does that give an excuses to drag it out two years , when a few months was the agreed upon time frame? No.

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2021, 10:31:31 AM »
i wonder if FE guys in the future may come up with some good high tech parts and everyone start thrashing the engine builders and developers we have now? BUT i dont go for shady deals.a good deal is when both parties are happy. i remember when i was in my 20s and i was into FEs bigtime.i was hoping at the time that more people like Dove would start making FE performance parts and not give up on the FE.i am very happy we have people like the B brothers and Jay making hp parts and building killer engines.THANK YOU LORD JESUS FOR THESE GUYS.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new