Author Topic: I never thought I would ever get excited about buying a cast iron intake  (Read 1962 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
Eons ago (1985) when I bought my 460 Police Interceptor engine at a swap meet I got everything except the intake and carburetor. I didn't think much about it at the time though. However, awhile back I found out they had their own intake so I started looking around for one and scored one off of Ebay last week. They are as tall as an iron 429CJ intake but have slightly smaller ports to match the PI heads. They also have a spreadbore carb pad but it is still the standard square bore Holley 4160 bolt pattern. I think it is for a Motorcraft 4350 carb. Not sure what I'll do with it but I think it's cool. Here are a few pictures of it beside a standard D4VE 460 intake.

'   

plovett

The 429/460 PI stuff is pretty cool.  The PI heads have a lot of potential. 

Is there a project associated with it?

paul
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 07:11:18 AM by plovett »

GJCAT427

• View Profile
What is the casting # on it?

AlanCasida

• View Profile
The 429/460 PI stuff is pretty cool.  The PI heads have a lot of potential. 

Is there a project associated with it?

paul
I have the motor in my 66 Galaxie right now with a TKO600 behind it. It has a Blue Thunder intake on it. I don't think I'll swap them though since the iron intake weighs in at 63#, LOL!

AlanCasida

• View Profile
What is the casting # on it?
The casting number is D1AE-9425-BA

pbf777

• View Profile
     In the late '70's into the early '80's we collected many of the 429 P.I. engines for building, broke them down, cleaned, inspected and inventoried the individual components; we had probably thirty something of the P.I. intakes stacked-up which I held on to for a couple of decades, but finally with no interest in them from the public, and needing the space, we sent them all to the scrapper!      :'(

Scott.

GJCAT427

• View Profile
  Alan, What are the casting #s on the heads? I`ve got a set of heads and a manifold from a 460 I pulled many yrs ago and stashed in the garage. Seem to remember they were different than the stock 460 I had in my old 350 camper special. Gotta go digging today and see.

AlanCasida

• View Profile
  Alan, What are the casting #s on the heads? I`ve got a set of heads and a manifold from a 460 I pulled many yrs ago and stashed in the garage. Seem to remember they were different than the stock 460 I had in my old 350 camper special. Gotta go digging today and see.
They are D2OE-AB. They have larger than stock ports(but not as large as CJ), stud mounted rocker arms with guide plates, 2.19 intake valves and 1.73 exhaust valves. They also have 95cc combustion chambers and no thermactor bump in the exhaust ports which make them an excellent street head.

pbf777

• View Profile
They are D2OE-AB.

The first castings were D2OE-A, then later came the "-AB"; and I don't recall any notable difference in the castings.     :)

Scott.

TomP

• View Profile
there is a set of 429 PI exhaust manifolds on Bellingham WA Craigslist for cheap, i'm trying to get Gary B to buy them... but i think he needs them as little as I do. Cool pieces though. I wasn't even aware they used a different intake.

babybolt

• View Profile
I ran a set of ported 429 PI heads for years.  They worked great, lots of torque.  275 tires would break loose at 1400-1500 rpm.  Spend some time trying to kill the low end torque and move the powerband higher. 

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
That's a cool find on that intake.