Author Topic: Ride along video I made with my truck  (Read 3500 times)

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Ride along video I made with my truck
« on: March 29, 2021, 08:59:53 AM »
Tried my hand at Windows movie maker and editing.  Not horrible for a first time'r.  I'd like to add some drive by stuff but need an assistant....which adds to the budget that doesn't exist.  Then there are production assistants, gaffers, sound guys, catering........that movie stuff sure can get complicated LOL!!!!!

;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijTkVLnSnYw
Larry

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
Re: Ride along video I made with my truck
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 10:04:04 AM »
That is cool as hell!  Anybody who can drive a twin stick is OK with me  ;)  The soot spots on your garage ceiling are icing on the cake.
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 10:27:46 AM »
Anybody who can drive a twin stick is OK with me  ;)

Try 3 sticks! That was awesome!

Larry, what is the 3rd stick? A dual range rear? That was cool to watch. I've driven sticks my whole life, but that thing is on a whole 'nother level. I can only imagine the learning curve when you got it. Is the Jake Break something you added? I didn't think they had them back then.

Looks like you got a GoPro. Hopefully we'll get to see some cool in car shots this year.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 10:41:19 AM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 10:42:26 AM »
I all ways liked those old macs.
I keep waiting for you to do the wheel stand.
I drove a 47 KW with a 400 cummings and a 5x4 in the 70's for 6 or 7 years. Long nose chrome everywhere and that sucker would brake the speedo cable whenever you hit a hundred with it.
Truck was Jet black and had Class of 47 lettered on the sides.
Best looking and running truck I ever drove.
Allan Drewy was the owner.
Greg

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 11:18:59 AM »
That is cool as hell!  Anybody who can drive a twin stick is OK with me  ;)  The soot spots on your garage ceiling are icing on the cake.

HAHAHA....ya, them old diesels aren't clean burnin!  I put new stacks on this winter that have turnouts, so the black will continue now on the walls LOL!!

If you ever notice trucks now have "clean idle" stickers on them?  Ya, well someone made "dirty idle" stickers that mimic the other ones.  Yes, I have a pair on my truck.  ;)

Anybody who can drive a twin stick is OK with me  ;)

Try 3 sticks! That was awesome!

Larry, what is the 3rd stick? A dual range rear? That was cool to watch. I've driven sticks my whole life, but that thing is on a whole 'nother level. I can only imagine the learning curve when you got it. Is the Jake Break something you added? I didn't think they had them back then.

Looks like you got a GoPro. Hopefully we'll get to see some cool in car shots this year.

The third stick is the Spicer aux transmission I installed when I stretched the truck.  It is a 4 spd, with deep reduction first(can't shift while moving).  Beyond that the other 3 gears are similar ratios to the compound box of my main transmission.  I typically run that box in "direct" which is 1:1.  If I want, the OD gives me a bit more road speed.  I really don't shift it much, but occasionally I will.  The deep under 1st is the ultimate creeper gear.  Slow and I mean slooowwww.

I added the Jakes a couple years ago.  I bought the major pieces from a buddy out west, then rebuilt them and got the few missing pieces online.  They work pretty well for the little weight I typically run with.  Clessie Cummins designed the jake way back.  They became popular maybe late 60's?

I'll try to remember to get the GoPro in the wagon this year.  It's actually my buddies, but he has no computer knowledge so I keep it around and play with it.

I all ways liked those old macs.
I keep waiting for you to do the wheel stand.
I drove a 47 KW with a 400 cummings and a 5x4 in the 70's for 6 or 7 years. Long nose chrome everywhere and that sucker would brake the speedo cable whenever you hit a hundred with it.
Truck was Jet black and had Class of 47 lettered on the sides.
Best looking and running truck I ever drove.
Allan Drewy was the owner.
Greg

Sounds like quite the truck.

My little 237 won't break any speedo cables that's for sure LOL!  With 4.10 gears it will only run about 80 mph.  That's fast enough in a B model.  I've had to stretch its legs a few times over the years.  If someone screws with me, I'm one to run it fast enough to make the other person give up first! At least so far anyway.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 11:21:33 AM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 11:57:19 AM »
  What no straight up smoke any more?! I would have thought you would have put big flapper caps on it to eleminate the milk jugs! Now you can leave a trail of smoke to rile up the tailgaters! Looks and sounds good. Garry(GJCT)

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 12:39:21 PM »
Quote from: BattlestarGalactic
            Then there are production assistants, gaffers, sound guys, catering........that movie stuff sure can get complicated LOL!!!!!

You forgot the fluffer.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 01:18:20 PM »
  What no straight up smoke any more?! I would have thought you would have put big flapper caps on it to eliminate the milk jugs! Now you can leave a trail of smoke to rile up the tailgaters! Looks and sounds good. Garry(GJCT)

I wanted to use flappers.....just because that is kinda old school too.  But, that would not eliminate the slobber all down the side of the truck and over the bunk.  It's bad, even with no rain.  After 15 yrs of it, I decided to upgrade to turnouts, which should make it much easier to keep the truck clean.

You forgot the fluffer.

LOL!!!   You know I ALMOST typed that in my sentence....but figured I keep it "clean"......  :o
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 01:20:19 PM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

oldiron.fe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 05:19:48 PM »
         the diesel ride reminds me of good old days -my 66 fairlane with center oiler 2x4s ,crane drag cam jardine headers al flywheel schaefer cluch/psi/plate thunderbolt traction set up - very hard on 9in gears 3.50/4.57s  would  often drive by keokuk iowa to see fred l / r scott for parts -- a trucker drove out of keokuk that was hard to believe --detroit v12 in big rig hauled hot (fast) freight) for a price  he was banned from penn. roads or turnpike - trooper stopped him in tenn. or kent. uphill at 118mi.per.hr. said only uphill or couldnt keep up ---  i have someplace a newspaper clip on hwy. 21 sparta/tomah wi.  ticked at 121mph!!!    -- for us old guys before the interstate hwys - the price would be pricey to the west coast it included  8   tires for the drivers -- burned out over the mountain roads-- no idea what his top end was but he could roll serious smoke!!   if i remember right snoco 260 was .35 a gal  with 3.50s drove more over 100 mph than under at ft leonard wood wth--- could they do send me to nam -- yep out ran three missouri troopers to nam aug 68 had to park the 427!!!
66' Fairlanes 427 (08/26/67- present)
66/67' Fairlanes
70' Mustang Fastback
66' Dually

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2021, 08:49:04 AM »
Cool that makes Me want My Mack back, it is fun when you get good at shifting them, it keep you buzzy when you have a heavy load, mine was naturally aspirated so not much power so you had to shift a lot, good job Larry.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2021, 07:22:46 PM »
Sure is in good shape. I've had a few B model Mack's over the years. Does that have Ross air-assist steering?

Still drive a 69 W900A with a 5x4 a few times a year. When they run out of trucks I get a call because there's only a couple of us that can drive it anymore. The KW has a Detroit in it.

Straight stacks and sticks, the only way trucks were meant to be built.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2021, 08:10:22 AM »
Air-o-Matic made the steering.  I know some hate it.  It's an improvement over Armstrong steering that I put up with for many years.  I got mine off a firetruck and was in super nice shape with no wear on the piston or cylinder.  I added an extra air tank just to feed that system to keep up with it in tight situations.

The truck has been an ongoing restoration for 20 yrs now.  Little here, little there.  I use it to drag my race trailer where ever I go.  I installed a/c and cruise control to add to the comfort level.
Larry

NIsaacs

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2021, 08:16:01 AM »
Cool truck! I hauled a lot of logs in a B-Model w/205 Thermodyne and 5x4. Then upgraded to an R-Model w/237 and same quadraplex tranny. They both had Jakes.
2021 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins of course!
2017 Ford Escape, 2.0 Eco Boost
2001 Ram 2500 4x4 QC short bed, Cummins, 6spd, some mods
1991 Dodge D250, reg cab, Cummins, 5spd, mods
1974 F-350, Cummins, 5spd, 3spd aux, mods
1975 F-250 4x4, 428, C-6, Sled Puller

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2021, 05:31:00 PM »
Air-o-Matic made the steering.

Worked on a fleet of buses for a while that had Air-O-Matic power assist. For it's day it worked fine and was definitely an improvement. As long as the air system is clean the stuff seems to hold up for a long time.

Cool truck! I hauled a lot of logs in a B-Model w/205 Thermodyne and 5x4. Then upgraded to an R-Model w/237 and same quadraplex tranny. They both had Jakes.

Jakes or Mack Dynatards? Because Mack.

NIsaacs

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2021, 06:55:11 PM »
Genuine Jake Brakes. I don't recall now, but it seems like the Dynatard  started with the Maxidine?
2021 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins of course!
2017 Ford Escape, 2.0 Eco Boost
2001 Ram 2500 4x4 QC short bed, Cummins, 6spd, some mods
1991 Dodge D250, reg cab, Cummins, 5spd, mods
1974 F-350, Cummins, 5spd, 3spd aux, mods
1975 F-250 4x4, 428, C-6, Sled Puller

John67427

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2021, 08:26:06 PM »
Thanks for the ride Larry! It’s been many years since I’ve heard a B model air starter. My first job was at a gas station that Allegheny Freight Lines fueled their trucks. They were all B Model Mack’s and we lived right across the street from the station which was open 24 hrs.  Nothin like a 3 AM wake up from an air starter....
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 08:34:13 PM by John67427 »

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2021, 09:45:43 AM »
My 29 Model AA was really slow a three speed and a high and low box thirty miles an hour in high gear, in low gear was great for parades, We were on our honeymoon February 25 in Yellowstone park  with no heater.

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2021, 06:17:48 PM »
love to keep you warm .

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2021, 07:48:11 PM »
My 29 Model AA was really slow a three speed and a high and low box thirty miles an hour in high gear, in low gear was great for parades, We were on our honeymoon February 25 in Yellowstone park  with no heater.

Nice!  Gotta huddle up to keep warm!
Larry

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2021, 08:47:28 AM »
I was testing Her to see if She would stick around and She did, it got very cold by the time we got home a tractor trailer was jack knifed on one of the passes we had to go over so that held us back till way into the night, the generator could not keep up with the lights so I unhooked one head lights then we were ok.