Author Topic: R code 67 Cyclone project coming up for auction  (Read 5182 times)

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
Re: R code 67 Cyclone project coming up for auction
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2021, 10:31:51 AM »
I would agree it would have been better to just wash that crap off so people could see it.  The dirt adds nothing. It's been in storage, yea - we know.  If we wanted artificial drama, we'd watch some of the shows on the MT channel.

>Now...who's up for an LS swap into the Mercury?
That kinda talk will get you throwed out of this bar.   ;D

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2021, 12:55:17 PM »
Looks like it sold for $41k, while it does "look" solid one has to wonder just how much filler is under some of that paint and without the original drive train this seems like a crazy #, I must be getting old.
Would be a great resto mod start I suppose but for $40k?

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2021, 01:29:17 PM »
I think it was well bought. Early Mustang fastbacks are doing that kind of money these days.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2021, 01:49:35 PM »
Looks like it sold for $41k, while it does "look" solid one has to wonder just how much filler is under some of that paint and without the original drive train this seems like a crazy #, I must be getting old.
Would be a great resto mod start I suppose but for $40k?

When you look at the shots of underneath, there isn't even a hint of any rust. Not even in the areas prone to rust, so I'd guess the panels are pretty darn solid, not counting for any sheetmetal damage that may be hid.

Resto mod? Why would anyone take a rust free, super rare performance car and make it a resto mod? That would be a really bad decision.

Personally, I don't care if someone paid $75k for it. If the car gets restored to its potential, then it's another rare example that's been saved. I don't know of many people who can make money off of any restoration, or resto mod. Unless you already have the majority of parts, it's just not gonna happen. Unless, like the 'reality' shows, they throw a bunch of repro parts on, give it a "20' paint job" and slap it together in a few weeks. At $41k however, I'm guessing whoever bought it is serious about restoring it.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2021, 11:09:29 PM »
I bought my first new performance Ford in February of 1964. A Custom with the full run of 427 stuff and a radio. I made the first change in it within about 15 minutes of getting it home.

Every car I've owned has been 'improved' within a very short time of taking possession---some more than others.

I bought them all for the fun of owning and driving them. Never had a thought about future value.

KS

Keith M

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2021, 02:30:50 AM »
The vin on the door and radiator support appears to match, but the auto trans hole in the floorboard is making me wondering if there is a body swap?  If so, then why not fix the floor shifter opening?  Not saying it was done, just curious. 

Keith

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2021, 10:51:39 AM »
My take: For something this rust free and appearing as a legit 427 car 40k was absolute steal.

I just looked a bit more at photo's and from best I can tell it has the Original 427 Only Core Support, 427 Only Fenders, 427 only shock tower bracing, Floor bracing but not able to see areas with other gussets or other 427 Only components.

If I had better pics of even just the core support it would tell me if it was possible rebody but indications for what I currently think nothing gives me indication it has. I do know there was a car in area that was rebodied but do not think this is it.

427 Cars had more structure support than the 390 cars. 390 cars had more than a 289 car . .

I know of absolute rust buckets that have brought the 40k mark. I would have bought this car at 40k with just 2 minutes with car. maybe 30 seconds or a couple of proper photos

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2021, 01:54:04 PM »
Interesting car. So is it a Cyclone GT or a regular Cyclone? I didn't think the 427 was available in the GT but you say 8 , so that is half of those 16 Cyclones. The hood doesn't seem to have the flattened spots for fitting the air cleaner. I assume if the 427 8V came in a GT there should be some fiberglass hoods with the clearance mods. Power steering is another it's always assumed wasn't available. There were development cars on a sheet Dennis posted years ago that were autmatic tranny, were there any production ones?

Being a Cometphile i'd love that car.... i'd be priced out at ten grand though!