Author Topic: Ever use these VC gaskets?  (Read 1463 times)

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
Ever use these VC gaskets?
« on: March 22, 2021, 12:58:25 PM »
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cgt-c5138-188

20 bucks a piece.. Surely they must be the best thing ever, but I can't remember anyone mentioning them.

I have one on hand and it is incredibly stiff and hard more like a spacer instead of a gasket.

GerryP

• View Profile
Re: Ever use these VC gaskets?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 01:11:35 PM »
If you pay attention to details, cork is hard to beat.  No.  You will not get modern OEM O-ring sealing and longevity with cork, but for most of us, cork will last for many, many years.

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 02:11:02 PM »
Have used cork many times with decent results. Just looking at other alternatives.

Not so much in the FE but there are gaskets out there being made with more modern designs for older engines that work fantastically.

plovett

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 02:37:15 PM »
I've had good luck with the rubber covered steel core ones.  I don't know if the link is to the exact ones I have or not, but they look the same.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Ford-FE-352-360-390-406-427-428-Steel-Core-Rubber-Valve-Cover-Gaskets-3-16/133503926164?hash=item1f15743f94:g:VuEAAOSwZttfRxr2

pl

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 09:14:04 AM »
Those certainly look to be worth a try. Thanks

fe468stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 09:23:49 AM »
I ordered a Cometic head replacement gasket kit that had these valve cover gaskets in it.  As stated they are very rigid and thick and because they are Cometic designed for reuse.  Because of the extra thickness, verify that the valve cover bolts are long enough to grab more than a couple of threads or use studs.

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 10:59:36 AM »
I ordered a Cometic head replacement gasket kit that had these valve cover gaskets in it.  As stated they are very rigid and thick and because they are Cometic designed for reuse.  Because of the extra thickness, verify that the valve cover bolts are long enough to grab more than a couple of threads or use studs.

Question is do you like them?

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 03:56:39 PM »
The problem with the FE valve cover seal is the joint between the intake and head intersecting the vale cover sealing surface.While modern engines like the Modular engines have to deal with a similar joint between the timing cover and head they use a valve cover with an o-ring receiver groove that takes a deep section o-ring type gasket with a blob of rtv at the joints.I think if you use a steel backed o-ring type gasket you will still need the blob of rtv at the intake to head joint and you will need to make sure that the intake gasket is below the level of the valve cover gasket surface to prevent cutting the o-ring.

fe468stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 07:40:30 PM »
I don't have many miles or time on these gaskets to make a decision about quality or reuse.  Did notice the the Cometic intake gaskets protruded about 1/8" or so above the mating surface of the heads and intake joint.  Went to trim the excess and found they are sandwiched with metal so had to use a zip grinder to remove them.  Other brands have this protrusion also but they are just normal gasket material.  It would not surprise me to find that the VC gaskets are metal impregnated also giving them the extra strength.