Author Topic: flywheel to crank  (Read 2806 times)

fryedaddy

• View Profile
flywheel to crank
« on: March 22, 2021, 09:42:45 PM »
ok heres a dumb question but im going to ask it anyway.when installing a fe flywheel are there any alignment marks or anything to go buy,or do you just keep rotating the flywheel till the holes line up?
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

cammerfe

• View Profile
Re: flywheel to crank
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 09:49:07 PM »
Line up the holes.

KS

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 09:51:19 PM »
it will only line up one way,right?
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 10:18:07 PM »
Yep.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 10:28:49 PM »
i have been running a c6 since 1987,been a long time,i remember when it was a 4 speed in the early-mid 80s.seems like i had to rotate the flywheel till it lined up.cant wait to get it running with the 4 speed in it.its factory 4 speed so the changeover wont be too bad.

fe468stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 09:15:13 AM »
Small but time and muscle saving tip.  Before removing the flywheel take a paint or magic marker and draw a line between the bolts to the pilot bushing.  When the marks line up on reassembly you are good to go.

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 09:52:33 AM »
Small but time and muscle saving tip.  Before removing the flywheel take a paint or magic marker and draw a line between the bolts to the pilot bushing.  When the marks line up on reassembly you are good to go.

That is completely unnecessary.  The bolts are asymmetrical.  You can't possibly put the flywheel on miss-indexed, or backward for a plate.  It just won't work.  But, it's not like you spent any time marking anything so if it makes you feel good...  Not really all that much different that marking your heads left and right so you don't get them mixed up.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 10:00:20 AM »
One bolt is offset.  It only installs one way.  You just keep rotating until they line up. 
Seems like it takes me about three rotations before I find the right way because I never believe I got it right on the first try.
Then I need to verify it.... ::)

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 10:04:20 AM »
One bolt is offset.  It only installs one way.  You just keep rotating until they line up. 
Seems like it takes me about three rotations before I find the right way because I never believe I got it right on the first try.
Then I need to verify it.... ::)

The same designer that made USB ports made Ford flywheels.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

C8OZ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 10:30:23 AM »

Same. I like to pick it up the right way the first time.

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2021, 11:26:55 AM »

[/quote]

No freaking kidding. Finally usb c has been out long enough and becoming more and more popular.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021, 11:44:06 AM »

LOL!!! Why is it that 99.9% of the time, you get it wrong on the first try? Not even Murphy's Law has odds like that. ;D

Technically speaking, it has to be that way for the external balance engines. You don't want the weight to end up in the wrong place.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2021, 11:52:42 AM »
It's like that for all engines that I am aware.  Not just external balance.  Put a 390 flywheel on a 390 and it's the same thing.

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2021, 11:54:45 AM »

That is completely unnecessary.  The bolts are asymmetrical.  You can't possibly put the flywheel on miss-indexed, or backward for a plate.  It just won't work.  But, it's not like you spent any time marking anything so if it makes you feel good...  Not really all that much different that marking your heads left and right so you don't get them mixed up.

True, they only go on one way and you can eyeball it before you pick up the flywheel.  I mark FE flywheels (and others of equal or heavier weight) to make it easier to get it lined up right and fast when rolling back up under a truck with it on my chest.  I definitely do it with tractor flywheels...those are heavy sob’s...makes lining it up faster without having to spin and check...spin and check.  They only go on one way too.

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2021, 12:17:35 PM »
Clean/Wire brush the crank flange for better flatness and ease of aligning the holes.
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO