Author Topic: The Horsepower Chain - new book  (Read 19674 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
The Horsepower Chain - new book
« on: March 16, 2013, 01:19:34 PM »
So I was recently in Europe on business for 10 days, and before I left I was looking for some reading material to get me through the plane rides.  I'm a member at Speedtalk.com, and although I rarely post anything there, I do get notifications from the web site now and then.  A few weeks ago I got a notification that there was a new book for sale called The Horsepower Chain, subtitled Racing Engines Explained Through Hardcore Math.  Well, I'm a math guy from way back, so I thought it would be an interesting book to read.

When I went to buy it, I was shocked by the price; 158 pages, and $100!  Makes my book look like a bargain LOL!  I almost didn't buy it, but after looking at the information about the book and thinking about how much money I've got in many of my engines, I decided what the hell, I'd give it a try.

Turns out that the book is a reprint, under a different title, of a 2007 book called "Engine Pro - the Book".  The reading is somewhat tedious, but I've read through it completely once now, and have to say it has some interesting information.  The premise of the book is that there are seven cycles that an engine goes through each time a cylinder fires, and these have to be optimized individually and with respect to the previous and next cycles in order to get the most performance out of an engine.  The seven cycles are:

- Intake pumping, where the piston going down into the bore creates a vacuum and pumps air/fuel charge into the cylinder.
- Intake ramming, which starts after BDC , where the piston is coming up in the bore and is no longer pumping, but the momentum of the column of air/fuel going through the port allows it to continue to fill the cylinder.  The book claims that this is the process which allows very high volumetric efficiencies in some racing engines.
- Compression, which starts when the intake valve closes and the pistons starts compressing the air/fuel mixture.
- Fuel burning and expansion, which starts when the plug fires and continues to TDC and through when the piston is pushed back down the bore.
- Exhaust blowdown, which starts when the exhaust valve opens and the higher pressure in the cylinder blows out through the exhaust valve.
- Exhaust pumping, which starts at BDC of the exhaust stroke, when the piston starts to move up and pump the exhaust out of the cylinder.
- Valve overlap, when the exhaust valve is closing and the intake valve is opening near top dead center.

The book says that the author is a former pole winning NASCAR engine builder, the owner of Speedtalk.com, and is the person who developed Engine Pro simulation software.  Most of the formulas in the book seem to come directly from that software package.  Here are some claims made in the book that I think are pretty interesting:

-  The intake pumping cycle is the most important cycle for making horsepower, and the intake ramming cycle is the next most important.

-  Referring to the diameter of the port throat under the intake valve, the area of this throat can be used to calculate optimum bore size.  He says that in the best performing engines, and he uses Pro Stock drag race engines as a typical example, the engine bore should be about 4.2 times larger in area than the area of the throat under the valve.

- Looking at the graphs in the book, the ratio of the throat diameter to the valve diameter should come in between 87% and 93%.  In other words, if you have a 2.19" intake valve, the diameter of the throat should be in the range of 1.905" to 2.036".  My porting guy always uses 90% for this measurement, smack dab in the middle of the range.

- Again looking at the area of this throat, the perfect port will flow 145 cfm per square inch of this area, at a depression of 28" of water.  I guess this is something SuperFlow published with their flowbenches quite a while back.  Unfortunately, frictional effects from the a/f charge flowing by the walls of the port makes this number impossible to reach, but the author says state of the art engines are running at about 133 cfm per square inch. 

- The most critical valve event is the point where the intake valve closes.  I think this is because if the intake valve closes too soon you can cut off the intake ramming process, and if it closes too late you can have reversion of the intake charge back into the port, but the book doesn't directly say this.

- Running an individual runner intake manifold, like a Weber setup or the Hilborn setup on my SOHC, you need about 6.25 times more flow through those eight butterflies than you would need if you had a standard throttle body arrangement (like a carburetor) on a plenum.  The plenum helps a lot with sharing the intake charge between cylinders.

I think these are very, very interesting rules of thumb, and most of them generally correlate to what I've found over the years.  The interesting thing to me is that in many cases the author puts numbers on this information, rather than just making a general statement.  I think this is very useful.

I applied a few of these rules of thumb to my high riser engine just to see how it looked.  That engine uses a 2.300" intake valve with a 90% throat diameter, or 2.07".  Area of the throat is 3.365 square inches.  The bore is 4.39", for an area of 15.136 square inches, and the ratio between bore and throat area is 4.498.  So, according to the book I need a bigger throat to take advantage of the bore size, for example a 2.375" valve with a 90% throat diameter would get that ratio to 4.22.

With the existing valve and throat size, optimal flow should be 133 X 3.365, or 447 cfm.  I was pretty happy with the 401 cfm I got from my high riser heads, but obviously I'm way down on flow compared to a state of the art racing engine.

One of the things that the book leaves out, which I thought was disappointing, is the relationship between the cross sectional area of the port and the valve diameter, or throat diameter.  The author makes the general statement that you should minimize the port size while still retaining the best flow, because if you don't the velocity in the port will be too slow, and will limit the amount of intake ramming that you can accomplish.  But he doesn't put any numbers on port dimensions, and he also doesn't talk about things like the taper of a sheet metal intake runner.  Since I've built a few sheet metal intakes this would have been very interesting to me, but so far anyway I haven't found anything about it in the book.  Also, I have a suspicion that the ports of the high riser engine are too big, leading to a less effective intake ramming process.  But the book doesn't help me figure out how much oversize they are.  If I reduced the size of the ports, I'd also reduce the flow somewhat, and there is nothing really in the book that directly addresses where the tradeoff is.

In light of all this, though, some interesting dyno experiments come to mind.  For example, if the intake valve closing point is really the most important valve event, then advancing or retarding the cam will allow tuning of that parameter.  With the Danny Bee belt drive on my high riser, it wouldn't take long to adjust the cam position and try some dyno pulls.  That would be fun...

In any case, despite the outrageous price I could recommend this book if you want to go seriously in detail on basic engine parameters to maximize performance.  There is no formula for building an engine that maximizes horsepower, but if the information in this book can be believed, following these rules of thumb will get you close.

Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: The Horsepower Chain - new book
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 01:44:02 PM »
Can you post the ISBN?

I'll have my wife the librarian get it for borrowing first :)
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 01:50:50 PM »
Interesting news! I'd like to add more today (kinda' pressed for time today) but....

Upon reading your new dyno test ideas......

(In light of all this, though, some interesting dyno experiments come to mind.  For example, if the intake valve closing point is really the most important valve event, then advancing or retarding the cam will allow tuning of that parameter.  With the Danny Bee belt drive on my high riser, it wouldn't take long to adjust the cam position and try some dyno pulls.  That would be fun.).

......what came to mind was doing so while running a Hilborn or Enderle fuel injection intake (mech. or EFI) . Sure, the advancing/retarding of the cam with a carb'ed intake should show differences, but I think doing so with various altered length F.I. stacks would really allow you to experiment with ram tuning & cam position effects. JMO.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 01:52:39 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 01:53:38 PM »
Sorry Ross, no ISBN number.  This book really kind of flies under the radar.  Here's a link to the web site:

www.horsepowerchain.com
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 06:00:42 PM »
I kind of get it and I kind of don't. Sure you can pinpoint the intake valve closing point and IF that is the key tuning parameter it will make the power as advertised.  Unfortunately moving the intake closing point also takes the intake valve opening point, the exhaust valve opening point and exhaust valve closing point with it. Unfortunately with a single cam one is just very limited as to what can be changed w/o changing cams themselves. In short it's a compromise.  The new OEM DOHC motors that independently control both the cams positions and overlap just show how far engines have come. I was recently reading how EGR is now controlled by hanging the exhaust valve open to allow more exhaust gases into the chamber as needed, there is no need for EGR circuits.
       Realistically as the NASCAR teams do with making untold multiple cams, headers, intakes etc etc and testing hundreds of combos. I've really wondered what would happen if a EMC challenge contestant ever managed to sneak in a brand new Detroit wonder such as a brand new Boss 302 Motor, I got a feeling it would be like shooting ducks in a barrell for making unreal power across an unreal wide band.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 08:23:00 PM »
Similar info around - sounds like you can read much of it off of Speedtalk with some patience.

I have tried advancing cams further than I ever dreamed of during EMC testing - had one that made best score 12 degrees advanced - the Danny Bee has 10 degrees on the vernier scale and a bit more "slop" at the end of the slot....it does have an impact in certain conditions.

Does the book discuss the impact of the exhaust system on the intake charge fill?  I think there is a lot going on there that steet applications cannot really take advantage of due to restriction and pipe layout.  I've seen some really wild variances from seemingly simple changes in collector length.

As for the new engine deal - its already been done.  Bischoff and one of his employees entered a "new" Hemi twice and it won overall once and won street class once.  Pretty near unbeatable.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 09:23:25 PM »

Does the book discuss the impact of the exhaust system on the intake charge fill?  I think there is a lot going on there that steet applications cannot really take advantage of due to restriction and pipe layout.  I've seen some really wild variances from seemingly simple changes in collector length.

It really doesn't discuss it in any specifics, so that is kind of another hole.  The author's premise is trying to predict engine power levels within 1 or 2 percent (because that was the goal of the simulation software), and he doesn't really discuss things where he hasn't see this kind of a change.  But I agree with you that there is a lot to be had with proper exhaust system design as it relates to induction, and it would be interesting to have some kind of formula to predict how the exhaust system might impact things like cam timing.  I remember putting a set of 18" collector extensions on my supercharged engine and picking up 30 HP with no other change, so obviously there's a lot to be had there.  I guess its just like any other race engine topic; there's no end to the questions...
Jay Brown

plovett

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 12:51:35 AM »
The way I see it he's added 3 cyles to the standard 4.  The standard 4 being intake, compression, power, exhaust.

He's added:
- Intake ramming
- Exhaust blowdown
- Overlap

I'm sure I'm oversimplifying, but that's the way I see it.  I think anything that helps us visualize what is happening in an engine is useful.   You know I get excited about the Ideal Gas Law.  :)   

I had thought about buying the book from Speedtalk.   Sounds like a good book, but after reading your review I'm glad I didn't.    Thanks Jay!   You just put $100 of beer money in my pocket!

paulie

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 09:43:10 AM »
I think that's about right in terms of the cycles, Paulie.  The book is saying you've got to pay attention to those additional areas, especially the intake ramming area.  I don't think I agree with your conclusion about buying the book, though - I'm not at all regretting the purchase.

Here's another interesting formula from the book, for calculating a given engine's redline RPM:

- First calculate rod length to stroke ratio, we'll call it R2S
- Next calculate the ratio of maximum piston to speed to maximum crankpin speed; we'll call it P2C, and this forumula is 1 + (.348/R2S)^1.99
- Next calculate bore to stroke ratio; we'll call this B2S
- Finally you can calculate engine redline with the following equation:  1.24 X 33,002.4 / (P2C X Stroke X B2S^0.5)

I was interested in how this would work out with my 519" SOHC engine, which blew up the short block on the track last summer at 8300 RPM.  This engine has a 4.5" stroke, 4.285" bore, and a 6.625" rod length.  Using the equations above:

R2S = 6.625 / 4.5 = 1.472
P2C = 1 + (.348/1.472)^1.99 = 1 + .2365 ^ 1.99 = 1 + .0568 = 1.0568
B2S = 4.285 / 4.5 = 0.952
Redline RPM = 1.24 X 33,002.4 / (1.0568 X 4.5 X 0.952^0.5) = 40923 / (4.756 X .976) = 40923 / 4.642 = 8816 RPM

So this calculation does not exactly dovetail with my experience; according to this I would have had another 500 RPM before the short block gave up.  On the other hand, from the book you can infer that this information comes from a Pro Stock style engine, which of course would have aluminum rods, much lighter than the steel rods I had in the Galaxie engine.  So, if the Galaxie had had aluminum rods, maybe it wouldn't have given up at 8300.  It's an interesting calculation, nevertheless...
Jay Brown

plovett

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 12:03:00 PM »
I don't doubt there's lots of good stuff in there, Jay.  Just the bits you've mentioned are very interesting.  I haven't even seen the book.  I'd likely buy it for $50-$60.

The redline for my stock dimension (other than bore) 428 is 9618 rpm.  I wonder how high the super stock guys wind their 428's?  I think it's well over 8000 rpm?

Maybe you could add a parts quality factor for less than Pro Stock quality.

1)State of the art High end race parts (Al ot Ti) = 1.0
2)High end race parts (steel) = 0.94
3)Quality aftermarket parts = 0.8
4)Factory quality parts is 0.7

Then you could add a usage factor.

Drag race/short duration = 1.0
Road race/long duration = 0.9
Marine/extended high rpm duration = 0.85

Something like that anyway.  Just thinking out loud. 

paulie

plovett

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 12:09:18 PM »
The book is saying you've got to pay attention to those additional areas, especially the intake ramming area.

Years ago my favorite machinist was ramming the importance of the intake closing point into my head.   Does the book offer any help with regard to choosing the intake valve closing point, maximizing the intake ramming/compression cycle?  That seems like it'd be very valuble.

paulie

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 12:19:20 PM »
No, it does not!  Another gaping hole, in my opinion.  If I had to guess, this would vary so much that maybe its not able to be included in a formula, but I don't know.  Throughout the book the author says the most important part of cam design is the intake closing angle, and then he doesn't really give much information on that (unless I've missed it).  On the other hand, its valuable to know that, and points to some tuning knobs that one can turn.

I like your idea for quality factor to adjust the redline RPM.  Something to think about...
Jay Brown

plovett

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 12:54:44 PM »
I'm sure you're right.   An equation for ideal intake closing point could be very complicated, or very application specific.

The ideal ICL might change with rpm, throttle position, and load on the engine???, in addition to all the "static" variables like displacement, rod/stroke, port volume, flow, etc., etc., etc.

Still, even a general notion would be better than what I have.  :)

paulie

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 06:55:36 PM »
The way I see it he's added 3 cyles to the standard 4.  The standard 4 being intake, compression, power, exhaust.

He's added:
- Intake ramming
- Exhaust blowdown
- Overlap

I'm sure I'm oversimplifying, but that's the way I see it.  I think anything that helps us visualize what is happening in an engine is useful.   You know I get excited about the Ideal Gas Law.  :)   

I had thought about buying the book from Speedtalk.   Sounds like a good book, but after reading your review I'm glad I didn't.    Thanks Jay!   You just put $100 of beer money in my pocket!

paulie
Extra cycles are nothing new, Ed Iskenderian advertised "5 Cycle Cams" back in the 50s. [1958 to be exact] The 5th cycle was the overlap cycle. IMO, the other "intake ramming" and "exhaust blowdown" is stretching the concept and are nothing more than a continuation of the intake and exhaust cycles but maybe I'm missing the point. The book sounds more like an excersize in mental masturbation of the author's theory and opinion and has less to do with the sure fire way to horsepower and happiness. No oversimplification, Paulie...I think you about nailed it and you saved yerself a C note.

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 09:00:24 PM »
I realize I am kind of bringing this back from the dead, but it mentions in the description of the book on Speedtalk that there is a formula for calculating the "Best Lobe separation" Jay, can you elaborate on this a bit? Is this just a re-hash of David Vizards "formula"? The numbers that Vizards formula generates seem  at least within reason when applied to conventional wedge cylinder heads, but they do not dovetail at all with my first-hand experience on canted valve motors.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 12:28:23 AM »
I went back to the spreadsheet I did with the formulas contained in the book, and didn't see one regarding calculating the lobe separation angle.  Haven't got time to search the book for it at present, but if I stumble across it I will post it here - Jay
Jay Brown

cjetmech

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2016, 03:06:19 PM »
You should photocopy that sucker and sell 'em for $50. I'll bet you make enough cash for a couple weekends worth of race gas for the dyno.  :)
67 Fairlane GT 428
93 Mustang Coupe 331

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2016, 03:40:47 PM »
Math???

Yikes!!!

If I could read AND do math...I'd'a probably outgrown this "car thing" years ago! :o

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 04:01:05 PM »
You should photocopy that sucker and sell 'em for $50. I'll bet you make enough cash for a couple weekends worth of race gas for the dyno.  :)

LOL!  Ever hear of copyright infringement?  ;)
Jay Brown

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 06:07:07 PM »
I went back to the spreadsheet I did with the formulas contained in the book, and didn't see one regarding calculating the lobe separation angle.  Haven't got time to search the book for it at present, but if I stumble across it I will post it here - Jay
Thanks Jay. And hell, math is the cornerstone of this stuff.

cjetmech

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2016, 07:09:43 PM »

LOL, Ya good point ;D
67 Fairlane GT 428
93 Mustang Coupe 331

FE Jonny

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2016, 09:06:35 PM »
Ouch my head hurts, glad I have people like Jay and Barry to translate. I did a lot of engine theory working at a machine shop back in the eighties but the technology has by far surpassed me. I am surprised that engines in new cars have not advanced past mechanical valve train and internal combustion though. I figured by now Hydrogen power would have been standardized for instance and electronic variable valve lift/timing is not in use.
Jon Heintz

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2016, 03:52:23 PM »

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2016, 03:53:56 PM »
can you say made in china ?

gordonr390

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2016, 08:10:43 AM »
I bought The HPC a few years ago as well as Jay Brown's recently and I got what i paid for. Good information. The idea of copying anyones book either to make a profit and or screw the author out of his due so others can get it on the cheap doesn't sit well with me. I have spent $thousands on failed projects over the years in figuring out on what doesn't work, so If I can buy information that saves me dozen's of hours of time or even thousands of dollars I will gladly pay the man or group that did the research for it. JMhO

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2016, 08:27:13 AM »
Most textbook or any very specific book like this costs $100.  This is why when I got on the internet in the early 90's it was a BIG freakin deal for me.

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2016, 07:18:09 PM »
I just got mine today, havent had time to actually run the numbers yet, but it has formulas for LSA, ICL, ECL, and duration.And they are not just copies of Vizards formula.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2016, 10:13:47 PM »

Pssst, Jay.... don't sell that fella ^ a copy of the Intake Comparo.....  just trying to help :P

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2016, 11:15:31 PM »
LMAO!!  ;D ;D
Jay Brown