Author Topic: Dyno'd the 352 again this morning....  (Read 6951 times)

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
Re: Dyno'd the 352 again this morning....
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2021, 01:59:42 PM »
That is getting serious for a 352 FE.  Some long rods, and short pistons, and a tunnel ram would get you the 500 hp you were looking for.    Is there another intake manifold you would like to try on it?  Do you still have the Streetmaster?  A Streetmaster of Holley Street Dominator with Super Sucker would be interesting as well as a ported RPM.  Glad you found some more horsepower!  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2021, 02:31:23 PM »
I'm gonna try another intake next.  Not sure what. 

May end up buying an intake adapter and trying something like a 351C Strip Dominator or something along those lines.  I think it would pick up some horsepower with another intake manifold. 

Pistons would be another iteration down the road as it would require rebalancing the crankshaft.

Here's a video link:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMXY1ctnb56/

Yes, I know we have a header gasket leak....
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

1968galaxie

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2021, 03:51:57 PM »
Sounds fantastic. Looks great too.
Are you now thinking the intake might be holding it back some?
I thought that earlier. Only experimentation will tell one way or another.
Experimentation does not always agree with theory - at least that is what I have learned in the scientific/electrical engineering field.
I suspect this is true in engine building as well.

Thank you for the updates!!

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2021, 06:27:50 PM »
Thanks, Perry.

I think I'm gonna try another intake.  I think the PI could be holding it back, but I could be wrong. 

I love the look of the engine though. 

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2021, 07:06:16 PM »
The only reason I ask, is that you were talking about putting in a street car. Drag only, it wouldn't be a issue but, on the street, it would be nice to know what rpm you could use w/o it bucking.

So then, you only changed plugs and it picked up over 30 hp?
A high strung engine doesn't necessarily mean no street duty,it just means its not really going to like being in a really heavy car and is going to want pretty low gears,so if your willing to accommodate that street away.I've been in plenty of rigs on the street that had a high choppy idle and were soft on the bottom,while not ideal they were their own kind of fun.

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2021, 07:19:41 PM »
Brent, your engine is very similar to Ted Wells. His was .050 over so, a 361.

Of course he had no "modern" ring pack but, his valves where similar at 2.09 x 1.6. He used a Crower roller cam, but, even though he said it was 320 duration, it only peaked about 7k. I don't know any other cam spec for it. He worked for Valley Head Service, one of the best head porters of that time ('70's) so, he had very good flowing heads, I'm sure. And he did some very different block mods, than are done today.

He would drop the hammer, at 8k to 8.3k, short shift (6-6.5k) 1 & 2, 7k to 3rd and 7.1k threw the traps, with 5.14 gears and 11.00 x 15 M&H's. His best time was 11.18 @ 121.46. Later went to a 396 (427 x 3.5 crank), I don't know if he kept the same heads but, it would make sense, if he did. He did 10.7 with that engine but, I don't remember the mph.

Here is this intake.

Frank

plovett

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2021, 07:44:29 PM »
Wow!  30 hp with a plug change?  That is huge.  Does that indicate the too-hot plugs were causing pre-ignition?    I can't imagine just the heat range being off a bit would cause that big of a gain/loss unless something else was happening.

It is a gorgeous engine and is making great hp. 

pl

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2021, 08:01:42 PM »
I’m sure in the Dyno it would be hard to hear pre ignition unless it was really banging away. It’s funny I wonder how many people say I nead a bit to hit 10s let me change to a colder plug. Curious as to what gap you run and do you play around with that also.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2021, 09:32:47 PM »
Wow!  30 hp with a plug change?  That is huge.  Does that indicate the too-hot plugs were causing pre-ignition?    I can't imagine just the heat range being off a bit would cause that big of a gain/loss unless something else was happening.

pl

No preignition, just glazed over insulators that didn’t want to do their jobs anymore.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2021, 09:34:44 PM »
I’m sure in the Dyno it would be hard to hear pre ignition unless it was really banging away. It’s funny I wonder how many people say I nead a bit to hit 10s let me change to a colder plug. Curious as to what gap you run and do you play around with that also.

A colder plug in and of itself does not make horsepower.  These plugs were hot enough that they had turned green and glazed over.  They were not doing their jobs anymore.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2021, 09:48:11 PM »
Brent, looks like JJ caught a different pan this go ‘round. Also I see the breathers have nipples. Was that engine’s oil being vacuumed or?

Nice work, thanks for posting.
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.55@125.74 1.46 60’

plovett

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2021, 10:03:59 PM »

pl

No preignition, just glazed over insulators that didn’t want to do their jobs anymore.

Ah, that makes sense.  Thanks!

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2021, 10:35:13 PM »
I know of a couple of Stock Eliminator engines that made in excess of 560 hp with very similar ported PI-F intakes on larger engines.  I have several intakes you can use for a test if you wanted to try something different.  Shipping is all it would cost you.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2021, 07:17:04 AM »
I know of a couple of Stock Eliminator engines that made in excess of 560 hp with very similar ported PI-F intakes on larger engines.  I have several intakes you can use for a test if you wanted to try something different.  Shipping is all it would cost you.  Joe-JDC

I hate using other people's intakes for testing, I'm always afraid something will happen during shipping, getting them crudded up with gasket material, etc.  I appreciate the offer though, Joe. 

I agree that the intake should support the horsepower, but just like your Tunnel Ram comment, I think something else may net us some ponies.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

mike7570

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2021, 09:06:06 AM »
I know of a couple of Stock Eliminator engines that made in excess of 560 hp with very similar ported PI-F intakes on larger engines.  Joe-JDC

Stock eliminator engines can’t used ported intakes or heads