Author Topic: ATF TYPE FOR C6  (Read 2638 times)

allrightmike

• View Profile
ATF TYPE FOR C6
« on: January 25, 2021, 05:43:41 PM »
Would a freshly rebuilt C6 with currant production band & clutch material still require type F fluid?

cattleFEeder

• View Profile
Re: ATF TYPE FOR C6
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 06:10:18 PM »
I have had 2 C6 rebuilt in the last 3 years and that is what they told me to use.
Remember, RPM is your friend

hvywrench

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 08:05:14 PM »
I had the one for my 4x4 F250 done a couple years ago and asked if I could still run Type F on the new parts.
On the most recent build the fella told me that unless it was going to see a lot of heat, Type F would be fine, otherwise a syn might be better.
I guess the newer fluids withstand the heat a lot better?
Many, many years ago I had the trans done for snowplowing and always loved how it shifted after the shop got done tweaking it.
(It saw some pretty harsh use with the plow and never had a problem)
I have a decent cooler, don't tow much, and don't plow anymore so I went with the F and am still very happy with the shifting.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 09:07:04 PM »
The cheapest Universal Tractor Fluid that TSC or Napa carries. It's about 40 bucks for 5 gallons and is very similar to type F. Started running it on some twin turbo drag car stuff and worked really well, use it in almost everything now. Always have it around since the TSC and Napa stuff is M2C134D compatible (basically New Holland/Ford/IH type F but with a little higher viscosity for use in shuttle shifts, etc). Better base stock so it handles higher heat.

Also, some name brand trick ATF that is sold for 50 bucks a gallon in the big catalogs is really tractor fluid re-bottled and marked WAY up so I figure the not rebranded stuff is fine - and so far has been working great for a decade or so in dozens of Ford and GM automatics I own.

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 09:38:16 PM »
Dex/Merc is fine on a fresh build and works with modern clutches

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 11:17:55 PM »
Dex/mer is what Tci recommends on there unit if that means anything.

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 07:47:22 AM »
My thanks to everyone who responded. This forum is an island of knowledge in an ocean of internet BS.

yellercat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 09:25:22 AM »
Recently had the same question and the builder of the C6 recommended the Dex/Merc. He also suggested to use (1) quart of synthetic with the fluid. When questioned, he allowed that the synthetic (quart) was for the high temperature protection.
The C6 trans he build included 3 five disc clutch paks and is for my current 390 going into an F250. Leaning toward trying his recommendation on the synthetic fwiw.
Brad
52' F-1
69' Camper Special
70' F-100
88' F-150

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 09:52:53 AM »
The cheapest Universal Tractor Fluid that TSC or Napa carries. It's about 40 bucks for 5 gallons and is very similar to type F. Started running it on some twin turbo drag car stuff and worked really well, use it in almost everything now. Always have it around since the TSC and Napa stuff is M2C134D compatible (basically New Holland/Ford/IH type F but with a little higher viscosity for use in shuttle shifts, etc). Better base stock so it handles higher heat.

Also, some name brand trick ATF that is sold for 50 bucks a gallon in the big catalogs is really tractor fluid re-bottled and marked WAY up so I figure the not rebranded stuff is fine - and so far has been working great for a decade or so in dozens of Ford and GM automatics I own.

I learned some things from the local gas/ oil distributor that we rented our old construction yard from. He progressed from Seaside to Phillips 66 to Exxon through buyouts, and told me in 1973 that the 46 spec hydraulic/transmission oil was basically just ATF without the red coloring. Most if not all of the major tractor and heavy equipment manufacturers have standardized their spec, so Deere Hygard = IH Hytran (that I grew up with) = CAT = Ford New Holland etc., and the stuff at TSC meets that spec. You need to be careful and get the 46 spec, sometimes called Universal Tractor Fluid, and not the 32 spec that is designed for straight hydraulic systems that are not involved with a geartrain, like the separate-reservoir loader system on your old Ford 8N tractor

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 11:48:06 AM »
   Type F or UTF as mentioned above. Dex/merc was designed for the needle bearing transmissions . I don't like it in race applications or conventional "bushing" transmissions.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 07:00:13 PM »

I learned some things from the local gas/ oil distributor that we rented our old construction yard from. He progressed from Seaside to Phillips 66 to Exxon through buyouts, and told me in 1973 that the 46 spec hydraulic/transmission oil was basically just ATF without the red coloring. Most if not all of the major tractor and heavy equipment manufacturers have standardized their spec, so Deere Hygard = IH Hytran (that I grew up with) = CAT = Ford New Holland etc., and the stuff at TSC meets that spec. You need to be careful and get the 46 spec, sometimes called Universal Tractor Fluid, and not the 32 spec that is designed for straight hydraulic systems that are not involved with a geartrain, like the separate-reservoir loader system on your old Ford 8N tractor

You also need to be careful with Hygaurd as JD has 2 different versions of Hygaurd now. The old stuff is the ATF stuff.

The 46 and 32 is the viscosity on the ISO standard, 46 is about a 20 weight and is about the same viscosity as regular ATF. Newer lightweight ATF's like Mercon SP is closer to a ISO 32 oil.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 11:13:16 AM »
I run Type F in everything, including the Powerglide in the dragster.  Never been a fan of tractor fluid.  Some of the big turbo guys run it but they are really heating the crap out of the transmission on a pass, so that's a little different than my applications LOL.  I use MERC fluid to cleaning parts and machined surfaces, if I have any.  Trans fluid is a good cleaning agent and good for cleaning/protected things like lathe ways, mill tables, etc. 

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 04:26:08 PM »
   One builder out here in the west uses 30wt engine oil in his torque flite Chrysler transmissions. That is crazy to me.

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2021, 04:37:28 PM »
   One builder out here in the west uses 30wt engine oil in his torque flite Chrysler transmissions. That is crazy to me.

Yep, having see what they go through, many times at full capacity for many hours every day, I trust CAT, International, Deere, Case, Ford New Holland- if it'll last in a D11 ripping rock or pushing scrapers all day, it'll last in a 3000 lb car pretty well. It is also a specific oil for drivetrain applications, which engine oil is not- I have seen what happens when the wrong type oil goes in a very expensive drivetrail. In the 50s/60s CAT specified 10W engine oil, but only in divorced hydraulic-only systems, not in geartrain

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2021, 05:33:21 PM »

Actually not that uncommon on bigger automatics, the Cat trans in my heavy haul truck and my Allisons are spec'd to use everything from ATF to 15w40!

I still run Type F tractor fluid in those as well. Keeps the inventory down and the stuff works pretty well.