Author Topic: Gathering thoughts and info for possible EFI project.  (Read 9519 times)

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
Re: Gathering thoughts and info for possible EFI project.
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 07:41:40 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I have considered using a carby base plate etc. but I really like the idea of making my own from scratch. I should be able to hold a fairly tight tolerance on the throttle bores so throttle blade fit shouldn't (famous last words!) be an issue. I have given this a fair bit of thought. The thing that concerns me most is the mixing and matching of components so they work together. I want use stuff as much as possible off the shelf that I can get here easily.

Jay, interesting you don't use an IAC motor. How does it idle on cold start up? I was also considering a simple solenoid for this job. Even maybe with a manual switch for fast and normal idle.

I have looked at all the aftermarket bolt on style stuff and while I like a lot about each one there doesn't seem to be one particular unit that ticks all my boxes and I reckon that a dual quad style set up would just be plain cool. Plus for some reason I have burning desire to make the bastards!

It will be costly and the body needs doing more than the motor. But hey, while it's out..........................

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 07:50:04 PM »
It idles lower on cold startup  ;D  I'm sure it would be smoother and a more reliable idle if I used an IAC, but with the cams I run the IAC tends to hunt around a lot, and I've had trouble getting them working properly.  Shouldn't be an issue if you aren't going real radical on the cam.  I didn't mean to discourage you from using one, just that its possible to go without.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 08:41:14 PM »
Whife had an Opel 2,2injection they are known for burning
the IAC i got tired of changing them so i just plugged the
hose an gave it a litle throtle on start up. Works fine when
you figured out how much throtle ,but wont idle cold in the
winter
In sumer it idles after about 10 sec

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

fe66comet

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 09:02:04 PM »
My Jeep 4.2 HO had so many injection problems after replacing everything including the timing chain I pulled the engine and traded it for a 350 vortec crate engine that needed a rebuild LOL that engine was a gas guzzling, sputtering,wheezing, dog.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 11:46:46 PM »
Having second thoughts about this now. The tunnel wedge intake concerns me. Realise now they are a Dove part and I don't want to spend a grand for a lawn sprinkler. What do you think my chances are of getting a decent one?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 02:25:14 AM »
I've only bought one of those, but it was OK except for the water jacket openings in the intake.  They extended down farther than the stock water openings, and when I first assembled the intake on the engine I had a leak there because I used a Victor Reinz gasket with a leak slot.  After figuring out the problem I changed to Mr. Gasket intake gaskets without the leak slot, and they sealed up fine.  Details on this are in my book.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 11:09:34 AM »
The TW intake would be awsome with EFI.

Checkout DIYAuto tune for MegaSquirt info,click around that site for just about all the info you need on EFI.

I believe they sell individule injector bungs that can be plumbed for AN type hoses,that may give you a more "period correct" look without the tell tale fuel logs on both sides of the engine.

I think you will find with dual throttle bodies that they will both be about 99.5% closed to get it to idle down,efi seems to find the air it needs. I would also do a pair of carb bases for the throttle section,you could just about mount a 4" tube to the top if you wanted,LOL. A pair of used(up) Holleys gutted would do the job cheap, and trick the eye for sure.

If you havent done so yet look over some of Jays Road to Drag Week post for pieces of EFI tuning .
Lance H