Author Topic: Flywheel balancing when changing from aluminum to steel.  (Read 794 times)

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
Flywheel balancing when changing from aluminum to steel.
« on: January 12, 2021, 07:10:51 PM »
Is it relatively easy for a steel flywheel to be balanced to match the engine if the original weight specs are present? This is a '28 flywheel. The aluminum unit was drill balanced.

pbf777

• View Profile
Re: Flywheel balancing when changing from aluminum to steel.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 08:48:55 PM »
    Well, relatively, but to bad you have to incur the expense, as it generally will be a time & materials cost.

It would be best if the related crankshaft were utilized in the mounting of the flywheels in this endeavor as this reduces the variable in a set-up fixture for the comparison process, but probably will work either way close enough.  One "spins" the assembly with the as balanced with the engine assy., establishes this set-up at "zero", corrections made upon the set-up fixturing, then swap the flywheels, "spin" the assy. again (and as often as required to completion), now making corrections to the new flywheel until "zero" is achieved again this bringing the new flywheel into imbalance alignment the previous unit   ;)

Simple!  Right!  Well it might take a little time depending on how accurate one wants to be, so when price shopping, one probably gets what one pays for!   ::)

And as an example:  I have yet in all my years found that any two flywheels or flexplates, not Ford O.E.M. nor aftermarket, will replace another and not be of a different effect upon the dynamic balance of some measurable degree!     :o

But then I might just be looking to closely, and I know, I don't charge enough!      :(

Scott.