Author Topic: Timing changes  (Read 1638 times)

69 crewcab

• View Profile
Timing changes
« on: January 12, 2021, 06:36:52 AM »
I am currently building a 505 inch torque motor for a 69 crewcab 4x4. I plan on it being a daily driver. When the engine is complete I intend to tune it on a dyno.
The motor had a Danny Bee belt drive on it in good shape. Should I use that for the dyno tuning and then replace it with a standard chain set up ?  Or can it be used long term in a daily driver ?  Or should I get one of the FE Power set ups?
Once the timing is set I don't foresee any need to change it.
Any thoughts?

Joey120373

• View Profile
Re: Timing changes
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 06:57:23 AM »
My vote is just go for Jay’s timing set for the whole program.
Get it tuned, button it up and be done.

My 2cents

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 08:25:45 AM »
Not sure I'd want to use the belt system on a street vehicle, especially one that may see off road use. That area tends to get pretty oily from daily use, and then there's the issue of road debris being tossed up in that area. Off roading would most certainly kick stones and debris up to the belt, which would spell disaster. Any stock type system with a quality double roller chain should work fine, including Jays set-up.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

fastf67

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 08:30:31 AM »
X2
Why tear the front back off and then re-degree the cam to the specs you already set it at.

SSdynosaur

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 11:02:59 AM »
Whatever you do, DO NOT re-use that timing belt for dyno testing or any other purpose that includes starting your engine. Real life experience has taught that those belts have a finite life; they "may" age out or they may "cycle" out but either way the results are disastrous. Imagine an engine at full song on a dyno, the entire valve train stops, virtually, instantaneously while the entire rotating assembly slowly coasts to parts-destroying stop from 8000 rpm. My local dyno/race shop refuses to dyno anyone's engine, equipped with a belt drive, before proof of a new belt install. Don't expect to learn of this from any of the manufacturers as they all recite the same legal denial to protect their product liability. Please don't misunderstand, the belt drive camshaft is a great tool and I still use one in drag racing but within maintenance limitations. You don't need to carry a spare belt in your trailer either for if the one on your engine breaks it will be months, if ever, before that engine runs again.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 11:10:11 AM by SSdynosaur »

69 crewcab

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 09:15:05 PM »
I ordered Jays set up today. So if anyone is wanting a Danny Bee set up PM me it is for sale.