Author Topic: GM s new logo  (Read 1911 times)

Heo

• View Profile
GM s new logo
« on: January 09, 2021, 05:12:32 AM »
Have you seen GMs new logo?  Whats going on here. Spelled gm, since when is capital letters don't used in initials?
are they trying to get it looking like some Chinese signs

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/08/cars/new-gm-logo/index.html

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

cattleFEeder

• View Profile
Re: GM s new logo
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 07:33:58 AM »
Thats bad, i guess its a FAIL in my opinion.
Remember, RPM is your friend

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 08:19:42 AM »
   I feel like a stranger in a strange land, on a number of fronts lately.

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 09:35:51 AM »
When a manfacturer changes its long standing, world known, product defining logo it is their choice...Things change.
One does wonder why a company would change such a well established, world wide brand recognized logo...but things do change.

Many people have trouble with change, especially when said change involves changing something so long lived, recognizable, and established as the GM logo....It is simply what we have come to know and rely upon.

I don't have too much trouble with the idea of GM changing its logo design. After all, a lot has changed at GM in the last 57 years since our known version of the logo was introduced...A logo that once encompassed a couple now defunct brand names (Pontiac, Oldsmobile)...Change has been happening.

Where I get wrinkled lies in the reasons and direction of the change.
In this case, after reading the article on the logo change, it appears to be a virtue signalling, self righteous stance aimed at a certain mindset....One that I don't gravitate towards.

This style of panering, and false front, turns me off.
GM, no matter how they choose to style the logo, has made choices over the last 20 years that just don't sit well with me and my style of thinking.
This new gm logo, and its accompanying virtue signalling BS, only further cement my position.

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 10:15:45 AM »
Another millennial failure. Logo change at that level signals troubles in my mind. With the color gradient, it looks like a sinking ship. Which it probably is. Ford has an excellent commercial right now talking about the future and the change toward electric vehicles, even the Mustang. Like it or not the world is changing and co-vid just advanced it 20 years. Brick and mortar offices and stores are doomed, families are only needing one vehicle and a SUV will cover all their needs. I'm thinking Ford has some really sharp cookies in their organization. After all, they didn't need a bailout.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 10:41:38 AM »
Whatever.
Just something to get riled up about.
It's not going on vehicles, just letterheads (anyone gotten a letter lately?) and websites. *yawn*
Looks like a blue elephant to me at first blurry glance, trunk being the tail of the "g".

Now, if you need to get really incensed, tapioca has apparently disappeared from store shelves.  I LIKE the pudding, but more critically, I need it when I bake fruit pies. Is there tapioca hoarding going on?  Who's responsible?

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 11:08:25 AM »
Actually I'm surprised it took so long. When they went bankrupt, court was rather reluctant but agreed to the name change from General Motors Corporation, too General Motors company. The old General Motors Corporation is still a bankrupt entity. General Motors company managed to come out of the bankruptcy with little debt. Saginaw and Delphi and Opel and other parts were sold off. So I thought, they would "jazz up" the logo. This really doesn't look like a well thought out strategy IMO. But maybe this is to put more emphasis on the brands instead of corporation.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 11:22:07 AM »
On gm not being in debt. It is a little confusing. They borrowed 14 billion or something like that from the US when they went bankrupt.
About 2 years later they announced they had made a final payment on the debt.
However what they did not announce is they borrow another 20 billion from the goverment and used that money to pay off the first money they borrowed. That only appeared in the business news sites and wasn't reported on the regular news.
Then gm used that money to builds 3 new buick plants in china. When they came online in 2019 they announced they were closing 3 of their plants in the US and firing the US workers.  After the news hit they announced they would offer the US workers a chance to transfer to other plants.
Now all new buicks are made in china.
I look for all gm production to relocate to china in the future.
Greg

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 12:12:39 PM »
Your correct Greg, did not take long to quickly add up  after the bankruptcy. Also add in another 14 billion that the company spent on stock buy- back  and one can see that GM = gm = a pile of bad debt. A poorly run company, that CEO Mary Barra, has never figured out how to govern.

Diogenes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2021, 05:06:01 PM »
Now, if you need to get really incensed, tapioca has apparently disappeared from store shelves.  I LIKE the pudding, but more critically, I need it when I bake fruit pies. Is there tapioca hoarding going on?  Who's responsible?

Great response! I got a good chuckle from it--much needed these days. We need to always keep a sharp eye out for the humorous.

Using lower case letters is appropriate on many fronts: laziness (text-speak (a branch of newspeak) and can't be troubled to hit the caps key), and lower case denotes nothing of importance (in this case they FINALLY got in line with my thoughts of their "brand"). Of course the mind goes to more philosophical implications, the ever rising Dismal Tide, Entropy....

We must always be looking for the humorous, thank you Dumpling for providing some.
WHEN CRIMINALS MAKE THE LAWS, OBEYING THE LAW IS A CRIME.

1966 Galaxie 500 390 Toploader 3.89 Traction-Lock 9in.
1985 Toyota Celica Supra
1971 Montego MX wagon 351C Toploader Detroit Locker Cyclone competition gauge/dash bucket seats/console
1989 Texas DPS Police Mustang
1971 Torino GT 351C 4V AT
1968 Cougar 351W Toploader Traction-Lock 8in.
1989 Dodge Omni modified 2.5 turbo from hell

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2021, 06:12:16 PM »
They have all ways been lower case, at least they admit it now  !
Woody

427mach1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2021, 07:52:13 PM »
My former employer went through several logo changes over they years - I much preferred the earlier, retro-looking logos, especially the fourth one down in the left hand column.  Changing a big company name or logo is EXPENSIVE and the money could have gone to something more useful or profitable in my humble opinion. 

« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 08:00:22 PM by 427mach1 »