Author Topic: Problem with Edelbrock Stage 2 heads  (Read 4148 times)

fe468stroker

• View Profile
Re: Problem with Edelbrock Stage 2 heads
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2021, 08:32:55 PM »
Ross,  I did check for coil bind, clearances etc.  The witness mark was on the underside of the roller rocker where it had contacted the retainer.  The only thing I didn't check was the contact point of the roller on the valve stems.  With the larger lift of the solid roller it might be possible that the roller rode off the stem contacting the retainer at higher RPM's.  That could explain the damage to the rocker and maybe the movement of the valve/spring assembly.  But after teardown the guide and valve are in perfect condition.  Jesse.

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Problem with Edelbrock Stage 2 heads
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2021, 10:22:13 PM »
That is a stumper. The more I set up rocker geometry though, as well as other things, the more I am amazed my builds in the late 80s ran at all :)

I’d look really close at the guide, the springs, etc, shim the stands this time and see where you end up

How’s the valve job look on that one that you thought moved? If the guide was broken or moving it’d show on the valve and seat

One other question, can you take a picture of the retainer/valve tip assembled? I had a poncho a year or so ago with short tips that we ended up using a -.050 retainer to get rocker clearance and pressure right
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 11:05:24 PM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch