Author Topic: Aluminum Radiator  (Read 7437 times)

GerryP

• View Profile
Re: Aluminum Radiator
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2020, 01:37:06 PM »
...??? And yes, I'm aware that it probably came from China.

There you go.  I bought a Griffin for my Fairlane about 15 years ago.  It was around $550.  I just looked it up.  It has gone up to nearly $700.  There is no way Griffin or any other quality manufacturer could be in business if these were equal products.  I have read some reviews for these bargain radiators.  It seems they don't last very long.  They tend to come apart after a couple years.  Maybe not all of them.  I'm sure some folks have had theirs for years.  I would expect longevity would be different between a garage queen and a car that is regularly driven.  The bumps and vibrations and disassemble even good radiators.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2020, 02:26:20 PM »
If you pay your workers a sandwich,without butter and.... without bread for salary you keep low
prices ;) ;D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Mach1428cj

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2020, 03:50:58 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I had been thinking of going with the two row to start with. Judging from the opinions and experiences  I think I will try the two row.Thanks again

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2020, 04:54:11 PM »
No shortage of hem-haw about radiators and their cost. However, on the Mustang forums there are many, many FE cars that the ACP MAX-Cool has changed the game for. Most of us want to keep the engine looking somewhat as it came. The ACP radiators are in the 330.00 range.  They work well, fit well and mimic factory fit, form and design.
I have one I haven't installed yet. I am running an original ford 24" unit that I had re-cored as a three core. There is 3/8" between the fan clutch and the core.
It's very tight.  The downside is the re-core was 422.00. 
I just added factory A/C. I won't know how well it does until the late spring. The inboard headlights are also an issue.
I'll know where I am late this spring and if I am going to have to change over to the 2 core Max unit.

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2020, 07:34:00 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1968-1969-1970-Ford-Mustang-Mercury-Cougar-Big-Block-24-Aluminum-Radiator/291620347931?fits=Model:Mustang&hash=item43e5ed601b:g:TXYAAOSwwE5WYIIe&redirect=mobile
I can`t say anything about that Mustang rad, but it does look pretty good to me. I have had my Auto City  rad for  my 59 for about 5 years, but I have only had the car actually on the road for 6 months, and have only put a little over 2000 miles on it, so time will tell how it holds up over time. But I figured for 200 bucks I would take a chance. So far, so good. And although it may very well have been made in China, I can`t say that for sure. But the new gas tank that I also bought from them, says "Made in Canada", so who knows for sure.

Sometimes I wonder what the quality of these cheap parts are. $200 for an aluminum radiator is an almost unbelievable price. By comparison, US Radiator has a great reputation, is built in the U.S., but has a starting price of $525. It makes me wonder how they can produce that one for 62% less money  ??? And yes, I'm aware that it probably came from China.

http://usradiator.com/ford-mustang-1968-70-v8-302-351-390-428-aluminum-radiator
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2020, 07:45:08 PM »
Everything dropped into place, stock mounts and all.  I installed a new flex fan at the same time so i changed the spacer to put the fan 50% in/out of the shroud.  The old fan was probably not spaced properly to begin with, so I purchased a 2.25" OEM-style spacer from CJ Pony parts that put the new fan right where I wanted it.
Someone that admits to running a flex fan,on some forums that would instigate a lynch mob.Ford use to use them on pickups in the 70's and I think one of variations of the 428 or 429 fans was actually a flex fan.The factory ones I've seen were very well made with some sort of stainless blades and a rigid leading edge that the blade was rivetted to.I don't know if I could be  convinced that modern ones were of that quality but to be honest I've never even looked at them,I run either a fixed blade fan or a clutch fan and don't even consider running a flex.I don't buy into the hysteria some people have about them but have seen the results of a couple of factory flex fans that had fatigued,granted they were on rigs that had less than meticulous maintainence and they do need to be periodically inspected for signs of cracks.As far as overseas parts I was watching a show on TV recently and they needed a part cast,it was in Malaysia or someplace like that and the small foundry they used had a guy dealing with the molten metal in shorts and sandals,no hot work gloves or safety glasses,I was surprised that Big Brother would even let it be broadcast on national TV. 

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2020, 05:25:06 PM »
I don't think any FE mustang ever came with a flex fan. I thought running a fan clutch was a handicap,  but the car actually stays cooler. I had the factory clutch restored. It works great. I spin the car to 6500 on occasion too.  I see many installations lacking a shroud, which is another cooling handicap.
The Stewart EMP 180 thermostat works well with the high flow water pump. In 100 degree weather I am rarely over 200.

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2020, 05:32:49 PM »
Someone that admits to running a flex fan,on some forums that would instigate a lynch mob.

I've seen the aftermath of a few flex fans that exploded, so I won't run one myself. 

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2020, 05:36:15 PM »
Someone that admits to running a flex fan,on some forums that would instigate a lynch mob.

I've seen the aftermath of a few flex fans that exploded, so I won't run one myself.
I had a brand new NAPA fan clutch lose about 12 blades. It did 1000.00 in damage to the fiberglass hood and forced me to re-core the radiator a second time. I'm with you on flex-fans as well.

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2020, 05:52:32 PM »
I run a good quality steel flex fan.  No issues even in many blasts to 6kRPM.  Been on the car for nearly 40 years.  I suppose I'm doomed.  Doomed!, I tell you.

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2020, 06:10:02 PM »
I run a good quality steel flex fan.  No issues even in many blasts to 6kRPM.  Been on the car for nearly 40 years.  I suppose I'm doomed.  Doomed!, I tell you.
Your fan wasn't made of paper thin aluminum in China!  I have the factory C6OE-F unit  with the C7ZX fan clutch. 

427mach1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2020, 08:27:39 PM »

Yep, me too; mine is stainless and rated for 10,000 rpm.  Guess I'll keep a careful eye on the tach and move my shift point down a little.

jmlay

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2020, 08:43:28 PM »
I don't think any FE mustang ever came with a flex fan. I thought running a fan clutch was a handicap,  but the car actually stays cooler. I had the factory clutch restored. It works great. I spin the car to 6500 on occasion too.  I see many installations lacking a shroud, which is another cooling handicap.
The Stewart EMP 180 thermostat works well with the high flow water pump. In 100 degree weather I am rarely over 200.

Nope, no flex. Rather fixed pitch:

https://www.428cobrajet.org/id-fan
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 08:47:07 PM by jmlay »
Mike

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2020, 11:05:39 PM »

Yep, me too; mine is stainless and rated for 10,000 rpm.  Guess I'll keep a careful eye on the tach and move my shift point down a little.
Same here, I have had a few 18" FlexALite stainless steel flex fans, and have never had any issue with them. I currently have one on my 428CJ powered 59, and also ran the same model on my 70 428 CJ Mach 1. That said, I did have an issue with the factory flex fan on my old 70 Mustang 351C 4 barrel. It didn`t actually come apart, but I did find cracks in the flexible blades , close to where the blades were riveted to the steel frame.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2020, 11:58:01 PM »

Nope, no flex. Rather fixed pitch:

https://www.428cobrajet.org/id-fan
You might want to take another look at the table you referenced the fan at the bottom of the list is clearly described as a 7 blade flex fan with D0TA part #.