Author Topic: Oil restrictors  (Read 3712 times)

cammerfe

• View Profile
Re: Oil restrictors
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2020, 10:59:59 PM »
I have always believed in a 'high-volume' pump. Back in prehistoric times we had to make them. You took a good standard pump body and threw the insides away. Bought a rebuild kit for an FT pump. This gave you a taller gear and rotor. Press the drive out of the gear and load the pressed-out shaft from your previous set-up into the new gear to the same OA length. Hacksaw off the lip area of an old pump body to create an extra length of body that's a bit more than the extra height of the truck gear. Then take the ring thus created over to one of the valve body departments at T&C where they had the lapping operations for the valve bodies and put the ring in to make it flat and just the right thickness to make for an over-all pump body that fits the taller truck gear. When it's lapped flat and just the right thickness, ream the bolt holes in the ring to remove the threads and assemble the whole works along with the covers from two pumps, (for extra strength). Use longer bolts to get enough thread engagement.

Waa-Laa (voila), a longer, larger pump with greater capacity. (It's nice to have an Uncle Henry)---now you can buy a pump with the longer body and therefore greater volume.

KS

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2020, 12:49:02 AM »
Love hearing the old hot rod tricks. We are very lucky to have all the stuff that is available now.

Henrysnephew

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2020, 11:47:08 AM »
When you didn't have an "Uncle Henry" to do the cool modifications Ken described you had to call your Holman-Moody connection and got the same thing, only with a custom-cast one piece spacer/cover.  Randy M

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2020, 11:53:42 AM »
Cool stuff Randy!

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2020, 03:36:19 PM »
Greg,
I went from Penngrade to Valvoline VR1. I have a 6.5 QT Cobra Pan. I run 3.5qt 20-50 and 3 QT of 10-30 VR1.  I have a HV pump with about .0025 clearances on the mains and rods. 28 PSI Hot idle @ 900 RPM and 60 PSI@3200.

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2020, 05:28:48 PM »
Yeah I think I am going to have to pull the HP pump to make sure I don't have any issues once in the car. Thanks all!