Author Topic: Home built sheet metal brake<> Got to try it out<>  (Read 3662 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
Home built sheet metal brake<> Got to try it out<>
« on: December 03, 2020, 07:49:38 PM »
I'm doing a project out in the shop where I needed a sheet metal brake. Normally I just clamp the sheet metal between two pieces of angle iron and bend it over with a mallet which does ok but this will be some .080" aluminum and I want it to look a little nicer. Anyway I started pricing sheet metal brakes and I just couldn't see paying $300-$500 for a Chinese clunker that I might not use again for a really long time sooooo.....I built one! :) Total cost about $35. It actually didn't turn out too bad and it works too, which is always a bonus. It doesn't bend quite as sharp as a factory brake but it's close enough.  I can just clamp it my work bench and when I am done, stick it in the corner somewhere. The handles are removable so it won't take up too much space.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 05:16:32 PM by AlanCasida »

frnkeore

• View Profile
Re: Home built sheet metal brake
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 08:35:19 PM »
Very nice, Alan.

I'm not seeing how you adjust for metal thickness. I assume it's what looks like pins on the end but, i can't see how they adjust.
Frank

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 08:38:18 PM »
I like it!  Frank - Looks like he clamps down on the stock using those nuts at the top center of the truss.  Simple and effective  :)
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 08:48:01 PM »
Very nice, Alan.

I'm not seeing how you adjust for metal thickness. I assume it's what looks like pins on the end but, i can't see how they adjust.
The "pins" are actually threaded rod with coupler nuts on them. The center bolt is to kind of pre-load it so it won't flex. I am not sure I needed it but put i ton anyway. On the end bolts I have springs underneath the clamping bar to pull it up off the part when I release it.  I may have to make the upper clamping bar adjustable horizontally for different thicknesses or to get it to bend tighter but for right now I am just wanting to bend one thickness then it will set in the corner a collect dust.   
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 08:53:13 PM by AlanCasida »

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 12:03:48 AM »
Nice Alan, looks like it works BETTER than my cheap Chinese version  ???
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 07:55:07 AM »
When will these be available, and what would shipping be to Ohio?  ;)
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 09:55:54 AM »
Alan, for thicker material and depending on the alloy of "lum" you're using, a larger radius is a good thing.  I like your design, and the way you clamp the material. 
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 01:53:54 PM »
Nice job, Alan. Cheated the tool companies again! I love the fact that is was only $35 in materials and very functional.

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2020, 03:18:32 PM »
NOT made in china , love it

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2020, 08:01:04 PM »
Alan: I already have a Pextco 48" sheetmetal brake but it's not a finger type so I need to build one.
Would you please take a picture of the end pivot assembly so I can see if I can duplicate it?
Somewhere I got a couple of lengths of 4" X 3/4" stock with a 30 degree taper on one side. Not sure what the intention was but I'd like to make a set of fingers for a pan brake.
Thanks

Richard >>> FERoadster

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2020, 01:24:07 PM »
Alan: I already have a Pextco 48" sheetmetal brake but it's not a finger type so I need to build one.
Would you please take a picture of the end pivot assembly so I can see if I can duplicate it?
Somewhere I got a couple of lengths of 4" X 3/4" stock with a 30 degree taper on one side. Not sure what the intention was but I'd like to make a set of fingers for a pan brake.
Thanks

Richard >>> FERoadster
Here are a few pictures of my pivot point. The pivot was the hardest thing to figure out. Getting it to pivot without moving away from the brake took some heavy duty head scratching. I did look at some videos on Youtube of DIY metal brakes and got some cues from them. I ended up cutting notches in the angle iron half the diameter of the pin and bushing to get it to pivot like I wanted. The pins are actually some pieces of steering column shaft I had laying around and the bushing just some tubing I had that fit. I did see where some guys used door hinges for the pivots. There is a video on the Youtube of a guy building his own finger brake that might interest you. Another vid I looked at the guy building it just cut some slots in the clamping device for a kind of finger brake but they would be fixed. I apologize for the lousy welds but it was late when I did that and as I get older I find that I have a harder time seeing where i am at when I weld. Here is a link to the finger brake vid:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zvR4haVN7k

MRadke

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2020, 02:34:51 PM »
Really nicely done.  I'm impressed!

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2020, 04:23:17 PM »
Thank you, Alan. In the first pictures, I couldn't see the flats on the nuts and that was why I asked, my question.
Frank

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2020, 11:28:27 AM »
Alan: Thanks for the pictures and the link to the video. I'll look at that this evening.
Since I've got a few, would 1" pillow block bearings suffice for a pivot or would that just be overkill (I've got around 10 1"pillow blocks and many lengths of 1" solid rod).
Thanks again for doing this thread.
Richard

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2020, 11:51:39 AM »
Alan: Thanks for the pictures and the link to the video. I'll look at that this evening.
Since I've got a few, would 1" pillow block bearings suffice for a pivot or would that just be overkill (I've got around 10 1"pillow blocks and many lengths of 1" solid rod).
Thanks again for doing this thread.
Richard
I imagine the pillow block bearings would work fine. It might be nice to have something you could unbolt too. When I welded mine together the bushings(tubes) shifted a little so it is a little stiff. If I had had some pillow block bearings lying around I would probably have tried them too.