Author Topic: 428 Block Strength  (Read 4599 times)

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
Re: 428 Block Strength
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2020, 11:23:25 AM »

You might have worked with one of my colleagues...  I have dipped my feet in NVH analysis systems in my industry, but one of my colleagues was a guru for it in the 90's.  It's amazing what data you can get from a single accelerometer and rotary encoder these days.

I worked a lot with the guys at Roush Anatrol.  It's been a looong time though  ;D
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2020, 01:00:34 PM »
No one has mention alloys to strengthen block castings. Does CGI ring any bells? ;) What about the other alloying elements like nickle, manganese, tin, copper, etc? Alloying iron/aluminum will allow material to be removed from low stress areas [think "thin wall casting"]  without affecting the overall strength of the casting itself.

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2020, 02:03:55 PM »
No one has mention alloys to strengthen block castings. ...

You can split an anvil in half if you get it into a harmonic resonance.  Various alloys address different engineering goals.  Sure you add strength with CGI, but they do that to reduce weight and size for an application that can't be done with light alloys.  Diesel engine blocks are an example here.

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2020, 02:16:17 PM »
No one has mention alloys to strengthen block castings. ...

You can split an anvil in half if you get it into a harmonic resonance.  Various alloys address different engineering goals.  Sure you add strength with CGI, but they do that to reduce weight and size for an application that can't be done with light alloys. Diesel engine blocks are an example here.
Isn't that what I said? "...will allow material to be removed from low stress areas." Diesel engines normally use a alloyed iron for strength not usually needed in gasoline engine. Commonly known as "diesel grade iron" that has about 30-40% higher tensile strength than that of iron used in gas engines but does not have quite the strength of CGI.

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2020, 03:47:45 PM »
...Isn't that what I said? "...

I wasn't disputing what you wrote.

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2020, 07:38:03 PM »
So why is a 428 block bored .030 over stronger than a 390 block bored .030 over? Assuming both have the extra rib like the mirror 105 blocks do. Is the bottom of the cores thicker on the 428's making them less prone to splitting the block? Jim