Author Topic: I dodged a bullet today  (Read 1233 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
I dodged a bullet today
« on: November 07, 2020, 11:36:31 PM »
I decided to change the total advance on the Unilite distributor in my Galaxie. When I took the distributor cap off I found that two of the wires going to the ignition module had turned up and were rubbing against the rotor. I was about four wire strands from being stuck on the side of the road!

Hipopinto

• View Profile
Re: I dodged a bullet today
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 05:19:20 AM »
Good thing you found it on a PM schedule

My luck I would have found it going on a picnic or a road trip!

Dave

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 06:38:51 AM »
Sometimes your the dog....sometimes your the hydran.........um, well you know.

Glad you found it, I wasn't so lucky when my just failed straight up last spring.  Though somehow it did let me limp it home??  You definitely have to make sure the wire tire has those wires pulled down snug inside!

I now how a dual point system in the car.  It doesn't start quite as instantly when cold, but at least I don't feel as like I am driving with a grenade with the pin half pulled!

At lunch yesterday, a friend from the machine shop told me I needed a pair of FiTechs on the car.  He said it would start and run better.  I get in the car and tap the key and it started instantly and idled just perfect.  I just shrugged my shoulders and said "dual points baby"!  LMAO.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 06:41:23 AM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 08:45:54 AM »
Sometimes your the dog....sometimes your the hydran.........um, well you know.

Glad you found it, I wasn't so lucky when my just failed straight up last spring.  Though somehow it did let me limp it home??  You definitely have to make sure the wire tire has those wires pulled down snug inside!

I now how a dual point system in the car.  It doesn't start quite as instantly when cold, but at least I don't feel as like I am driving with a grenade with the pin half pulled!

At lunch yesterday, a friend from the machine shop told me I needed a pair of FiTechs on the car.  He said it would start and run better.  I get in the car and tap the key and it started instantly and idled just perfect.  I just shrugged my shoulders and said "dual points baby"!  LMAO.

Just like a while back an expert was talking to everyone that wanted and not wanted to listen  about idiots that overcarbed cars and a lot of other things he had no clue about. 600 was max on a 390 otherwise they where hard to start, wont idle, bog,etc.
I started the Galaxie, started second compression and idled as it always do. Expert to the crowd - you see there right carb. And i -But this is a much to big 750 i better bog my way home before it load up and stall, to the crowds laughter

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 08:57:38 AM »
I was thinking along the same lines. Since the Galaxie will only be performing pretty much street duty from now on I put a stock distributor back in it with some light advance springs and a Pertronix unit but I do have a NOS ACCEL dual point laying on the shelf so I may just pop it in and be done with it.

plovett

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 09:26:01 AM »
Nice catch!  A good reason to always be tinkering with your car.

pl