Author Topic: Ideal Flathead combustion chamber shape  (Read 10912 times)

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
Ideal Flathead combustion chamber shape
« on: November 02, 2020, 08:50:52 PM »
Sorry, this is not FE, but this place definitely has a lot of smart people, maybe some one knows this? This is a max effort, blown racing ford flathead where the heads and pistons will be custom built. What is the proven best design for power? Thanks, Joel

cammerfe

• View Profile
Re: Ideal Flathead combustion chamber shape
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 10:25:12 PM »
If I were to be going to build a flathead, I believe I'd look at an Offenhauser 8BA head. The only thing better is an Ardun, and since the Ardun has an OHV layout, you can't do any copying. You say you're going with a custom head? I don't think the extra effort would be worth it. Is the engine going to be "ported and relieved and stroked and bored"? :) :)

KS

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 11:00:09 PM »
It's not going to be the Ford flathead that you are thinking of. It is the 337 Flathead. So not too many parts are available

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 01:20:42 AM »
So, is this going to based in the Lincoln FH?
Frank

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 05:51:01 AM »
Sorry, this is not FE, but this place definitely has a lot of smart people, maybe some one knows this? This is a max effort, blown racing ford flathead where the heads and pistons will be custom built. What is the proven best design for power? Thanks, Joel

The proven best design for power on a Flathead is to reroute the intake ports and exhaust ports.   You mill the lifter valley down so that you expose all the ports.  The exhaust ports on the side of the block are covered.  The exhaust is routed on top of the engine.   

You will also want to relieve the deck of the block around the valves. 

Roller cam conversions are also available. 

Obviously, lots of block prep is necessary, with only 3 main journals. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 07:27:15 AM »
Barron offered a high dome head&piston design that used a full radius piston dome with a raised hemi shaped combustion which made for much improved breathing.He copied from a Harly Havidson design for flat track racing.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 07:59:12 AM »
While Brent is right (there have been a couple of high horsepower flatheads built using that method), it's an extremely aggressive approach that requires an insane amount of work. The examples I saw also used a lot of epoxy, which I would not consider very acceptable for long term use.

If you're wanting a modern chamber design, this is about the only modern type chamber I've seen. This is an old head that you'll never find, but could be reproduced in a custom head. I saw this recently at the Early Ford V8 Museum. Can't say as I've ever seen anything that was more high tech than this for a flathead head.

One of the big issues is getting enough area above the valve to get good flow. If you open that area up, you lose not only compression, but much of the combustion pressure is wasted in the valve area. The head above seems to use a 'depression' from the valve area to the combustion chamber, to help promote that flow. It may not be the best design, but it's a sound idea that could be used in a custom head.

I hope you give some updates on this. This is the Non-FE area, so it fits here. :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 08:06:30 AM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 08:28:07 AM »
While Brent is right (there have been a couple of high horsepower flatheads built using that method), it's an extremely aggressive approach that requires an insane amount of work. The examples I saw also used a lot of epoxy, which I would not consider very acceptable for long term use.

If you're wanting a modern chamber design, this is about the only modern type chamber I've seen. This is an old head that you'll never find, but could be reproduced in a custom head. I saw this recently at the Early Ford V8 Museum. Can't say as I've ever seen anything that was more high tech than this for a flathead head.

One of the big issues is getting enough area above the valve to get good flow. If you open that area up, you lose not only compression, but much of the combustion pressure is wasted in the valve area. The head above seems to use a 'depression' from the valve area to the combustion chamber, to help promote that flow. It may not be the best design, but it's a sound idea that could be used in a custom head.

I hope you give some updates on this. This is the Non-FE area, so it fits here. :)

Ole Henry never knew we'd be trying to sneak out these levels of horsepower from the flathead.   

What really stinks is that you have two really sharp 90° turns in airflow, it's a like a chicane for flow.   I've seen some guys online put a flathead block on a "flow bench" and they can only squeak out about 130 cfm on the intake side.   
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2020, 08:55:17 AM »
Barney Navarro told me that the flathead had such a turbulent chamber that 18-22 degrees of advance was all they wanted. All that turning and twisting on the way in? Also is was a short distance for the flame to travel.

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2020, 09:02:14 AM »
A little knowledge is a VERY dangerous thing, BUT, the OP stated this was going to be a max effort, BLOWN, engine. With a lot of pressure filling the chamber, do you need to really do anythy more than to hog out the ports to get the air in and out? Ardum heads are hemi-shaped? Those with matching pistons with a good blower?

Royce

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2020, 09:35:39 AM »
My answer would be to do all you can to unshroud the vales and even more important help the exhaust as much as possible. Give it an 8:1 open chamber. 20 psi of boost will cure a lot of design sins.. LOL  Find an old guy that runs a blown flathead on nitro.. See what they did..
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2020, 09:52:25 AM »
I'd reach out to Ron Main and get some ideas from his group.  They had 700hp out of ~300cu/in.  http://speeddemon.us/flatfire.html

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2020, 10:35:01 AM »
I wonder if this is an application where you could go with a piston deep in the hole, use the valve area for most of the combustion and build a wedge that protrudes into the cylinder to get the compression back. 

It'd be full custom, but you may be able to then relieve to the point that the new "chamber" acts more like a modern design, just offset
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch