Author Topic: My C0AE-D head journey  (Read 4748 times)

e philpott

• View Profile
Re: My C0AE-D head journey
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2020, 01:24:57 PM »
Sweet ! Maybe Brent will purchase/run them for project richie rich 352 ?

pumpbldr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2020, 05:26:47 PM »
I had a few sets in my life also. Since I have always had access to CNC equipment. About 20 years ago when the Yates Nascar heads came out, I took one look at the Yates chamber and thought to try it on COAE-D.  I digitized the yates chamber. This work really well to unshroud the valves and pick up flow. Maybe someone else tried something similar. But this is what I did and was simple.

Doug aka pumpbldr
Precision Oil Pumps

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2020, 06:07:43 PM »
As an owner of 2 sets of these heads and the car they came on this info is quite interesting and valuable to me if for nothing else bench racing at my point in life. One needs to consider that flow testing was, at best in it's infancy if existent at all in 1959-60. Also to point out that the aluminum 4V manifold that these heads were used with was laid out on Don Frey's kitchen table...So much for Hi-Tech. Even in their untouched form the numbers aren't as bad as they seem on the surface as these heads were on a 352 cubic inch engine, not some big inch "mountain" motor. When all is considered for the era the HP 352/360 didn't do that bad when put up against it's competition. This was FoMoCo's first [and some say feeble] attempt at high performance since mid 1957 but that was with the Y-Block, not an FE. I'll go as far as to say that flow testing is, IMO over rated as the numbers are somewhat squed[sp?] It does not reflect real world port flow in a dynamic running engine. It is static flow, one way and does not account for the opening/closing of the valve, port velocity, reversion, wet/dry flow, provides little info of flow under the cam's lift curve and no accounting for manifold, carburetor size and efficiency. Is flow testing worthless?...No, It provides usable and valuable info for port, bowl, combustion chamber and valve work as a 'before and after' comparison as Tommy's noble efforts have provided. [Thank you, Tommy] Flow testing has it place in the quest for making more power but I don't live and die by the raw flow data that most have when they go to the time and expense of flow testing heads. I will now step out of the line of fire as I know this may have ruffled some feathers.     
Hindsight may have caused some people to refer the 352 HP as feeble but when it came out it was raved about by the magazine guys,it was felt that unlike some of Fords engines the rated power was very close to the actual output.While most of the guys doing testing on cars had the perception that Chevrolets were really good about putting out close to the rated power as delivered and they felt that while Fords were capable of making the rated power they seldom did as delivered,but they felt the 352HP delivered as promised.The fact that it was as fast if not a little faster than the 350HP 348 despite its weight handicap and lack of a 4 spd. transmission indicates the potential of Fords HP engine program back in the day.

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2020, 06:19:51 PM »
Good stuff, Tommy!

Glad to see these heads getting some attention. I was planning on doing this to my own set of heads myself as a little learning experiment. I may fill the intake floor and make a medium riser runner out of it too, I dunno. I figured all the unshrouding work necessary, would kill some cc's. I have a little back burner nostalgic 352 build in mind. Around 14 or 14.5:1, these worked heads, an NOS C8AX- D cam, tunnel wedge, and a couple 660's. All dressed to look like it came out the door that way. Should be a nice little screamer.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2020, 09:31:28 AM »
I should have some flow numbers today on a set of 11/32 C1s, unported with a little guide boss cut and SI valves

Guesstimate is the 250 range, depending on where they end up, I'll decide on whether they will get ported, sold or used as is.  Likely this afternoon
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2020, 06:06:27 PM »
How do these numbers compare to upper end 427 heads(MR,HR,& TP)do they meet,exceed,or greatly exceed these other stock cast iron heads?Also does the exhaust porting eliminate the offset at the port opening or just reshape it?

WerbyFord

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2020, 07:33:06 PM »
Thanks Tommy-T.
Superb data on all fronts.
The stock 352/360HP and 390/375HP are Gonkulating about 5+ ponies higher with this new data.

I notice that during the unshrouding, the exhaust also picked up about 10% flow - assuming the exhausts were unshrouded too?

This is what I mean, it's what Ford should have tried before moving (back) to the more dead chamber heads for 1962-1/2.
Not all the porting & polishing in production of course, but the bigger valves and unshrouding for the 406.

The 352/360hp Gonkulates to 354hp with the stock flow data you just got.
Mainly, I think the chamber shape has a big advantage in the mid-range. Not what a TFS or BBM or (AFR) chamber would have but better than the 1960-era dead-heads.

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2020, 12:21:46 PM »
It would be cool to have Lance at Craft Performance or someone digitize your head since Lance is CNC’ing cast iron heads

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2020, 02:37:17 PM »
What I find interesting is the HiPo 352 heads in the "street port" modified version flow is similar to the #317 casting LS heads and a little less than the #243 LS castings. This info is taken from this months HRM, Wrechin'@ Random's LS Cylinder Head Shootout and Cam Test. Does this mean that not everything new is good and not everything old is bad? Or maybe I'm not drinking the right Kool-Aid?