Author Topic: RC bellhousng questions.  (Read 1034 times)

FERoadster

• View Profile
RC bellhousng questions.
« on: October 29, 2020, 07:07:32 PM »
From and earlier post in the private classifieds I commented about the RC I got from Henrysnephew. Mine is about 140 miles from here right now but 427Jim (Jim Wiltrout) is assembling my 1964  period correct 427 Jim was gracious enough to send pictures.
 I'm using as many of the period parts as I can get RC bell, CI 427 headers and either Vertex mag or Grant Spaulding Distributor 6X2 Edelbrock Intake and most likely Offenhauser pentroof VC's. So here are some pictures of my bell housing. It has dual bolt patterns for the trans so probably a later version of the one sold on E-Bay for $940. (Randy was very generous with my purchase)
The E-Bay price to me was ridiculous.
My question is: How can I use a later flywheel with the earlier starter Bendix bellhousing? I've already bought a new aluminum 428 flywheel for my build.

Richard >>> FERoadster

OOPs last picture is upside down.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 09:12:54 PM by FERoadster »

GJCAT427

• View Profile
Re: RC bellhousng questions.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 10:25:04 PM »
On my 63 I used a later starter on the stock 63 bell with the newer flywheel. Every thing meshed up fine. I later changed to a RobMc starter and again it worked but I did have to get a shim kit  from Rob to get the proper engagement on the bendix. I have a cast RC bell that I may put in this spring when I change out the old 427 for a newer tunnel port engine. So far mockup shows it will work.

427John

• View Profile
Re: RC bellhousng questions.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 10:58:52 PM »
Richard the late style starter will bolt right onto the deep pocket bell and will work fine with the late flywheel,thats exactly what I plan to do when I replace the C6OA bell that is currently in my Starliner with the early Ansen deep pocket blowproof bell I have for it.It ended up with late stuff on it because the early car FE bell interfered with the Centerforce clutch that was in it for a while,I went back to a long style clutch after the clutch pedal stayed at the floor after a couple of medium rpm shifts.I lucked into the Ansen and figured it was a better fit to the car.Just make sure to use the late style flywheel an a spacer plate with the bell to index the starter correctly.The early flywheel will actually work but will sound like shit and drain your battery in about 3 or 4 revolutions of the motor.Also you may have to trim the spacer plate to clear the bottom cover so you may want to mock it up on an empty block first.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 11:02:56 PM by 427John »