Author Topic: 2020 Goodwood Speed Weeks-Sam Tordoff's 1963 Galaxie reigns supreme again!  (Read 2085 times)

machoneman

• View Profile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSkrR6ANP34

Not an older vid. Passes 17 cars in 2 laps. What fun!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 12:44:44 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

e philpott

• View Profile
I love watching Goodwood on my FB , it's good racing and the variety is incredible

shady

• View Profile
Awesome. also love the Studebaker.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

frnkeore

• View Profile
I suppose, at the end of the day, the headline is............ 427 Ford Galaxie, beats ALL 97 ci, and smaller Fords  :o ;)
Frank

FERoadster

• View Profile
to see that Galaxie grille in my rear view on a straight would care the B-Jezzus out of me. At about the 4:40 mark it made the Barracuda look like it had the brakes on.
FERoadster

shady

• View Profile
I suppose, at the end of the day, the headline is............ 427 Ford Galaxie, beats ALL 97 ci, and smaller Fords  :o ;)
trust me, it was more driver skill than cubic inches.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

e philpott

• View Profile
on tight tracks the Galaxie loses to those 97 cubes

machoneman

• View Profile
on tight tracks the Galaxie loses to those 97 cubes

My understanding of the rules means OEM suspension (save shocks) including only the front anti-sway bar as delivered. OEM size wheels and tires, tires that must be treaded (no racing tires). One can tell this by how the car plows through the turns and leans quite a bit too. In a post 2016 Goodwood interview he said the car totally lost rear grip at near the end of a similarly short race, torched the edges of the fronts and both really slowed him down.

Yeah, it's mainly the driver's skill (he's a noted highly experienced open-track driver) that makes the vids so impressive. Imagine if they allowed racing slicks, a rear stabilizer bar, etc. He'd fly I think past all those small CID engined cars even in the turns! 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 09:53:23 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

e philpott

• View Profile
theres a 58/59 T Bird that does real good too . They still struggle on the tight tracks , it's just hard getting 3600 lbs to change all that  mass a different direction compared to the 1600 lbs competitors but still fun to watch , way more fun to watch than a NASCAR race , maybe NASCAR should bring back the 7 inch wide tires ?