Author Topic: TKO600 girdle  (Read 1593 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
TKO600 girdle
« on: October 18, 2020, 08:47:54 PM »
Awhile back I posted a message asking about whether my TKO600 would handle drag racing stresses in a heavy car with around 650hp. I got a lot of good information in the replies and specifically about shaft and case deflection causing gear contact problems. Recently I was web searching this again and came across this page where a guy made a girdle for his TKO600 to help counteract those issues. A gentleman named Jim Swarr had originally developed the Swarr Girdle and I guess this guy made his own. I did some research on Mr Swarr and I guess he retired and sold his shop about 3 years ago. Anyway here is a link to the article. Kind of interesting, I may build one, seems pretty straight forward and I don't think it will hurt anything except for maybe giving me a false sense of security. :)

https://www.diyauto.com/manufacturers/ford/generations/mustang-1/diys/tremec-tko-girdle-support-by-92rohcp

wowens

• View Profile
Re: TKO600 girdle
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 04:34:59 AM »
The three TKO 600's I broke all shelled 3rd gear. They had all of Liberty's mods.
Woody

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 05:23:50 AM »
I have all the guts cryogenically treated and REM polished on the big hp TKO's that we do. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 05:56:36 AM »
Can't hurt, nothing happening in the cover up there, so I would assume that it keeping the countershaft from deforming the case at the front bearing.

ON EDIT:  I read the article and that is exactly what they are doing, apparently they are seeing case failures there, although I hadn't ever heard of them crack, I think it makes sense lot's of load there as the two shafts try to walk away from each other.  I think you could likely incorporate something into the bell itself, for the racers it would ruin a SFI rating
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 06:01:26 AM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

preaction

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 09:56:59 AM »
Alan I have one you can have for $50. PM for address if interested.

KjcfeF100

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 09:59:48 AM »
I think I remember your original post about using the TKO, and I think I responded with my own story.  I bought one of the Swarr Girdles and it was well made.  But it did not keep my case from cracking.  When mine lost 3rd gear, it also cracked the front of the case even with the girdle.  I still say  a TKO and
drag racing stresses in a heavy car with around 650hp
is a risky option. 

hbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 12:08:26 PM »
this might be a better option.either way its not cheap,but this is said to be 1,000 hp capable.https://www.gforcetransmissions.com/tran_3650.asp
also you can find the cores for approx $350-400,and the one to use is 2001-2004,they use the slip yoke for drive shaft.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 12:13:45 PM by hbstang »

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 12:27:09 PM »
      I applaud the effort by anyone to try and improve on a situation of unacceptablity; and I really would be interested in if this girdle provided accurately observed results, and exactly what, but believing the intention is to aid in the prevention of the two forward bearings from moving away from one another although it may render some assistance I question the effectiveness.

In transmissions that I have observed with displacement of these bore centerlines it generally displays the greatest sum of case material movement closest to the bearing races with a dissipation of material movement as one observes further from this area.  I question if just clamping the outside surfaces really solves this?  But if case fracturing in the horizontal plane, then well perhaps the idea is "good", but in that instance it would seem one might need something bit more substantial to offset this level destruction?          ???

And don't over-tighten if applying an effective compressive force or one may note bearing/race failure as the bearing bore might be misshapen (made not round); perhaps a test of the bare case and measurement of any possible effect might be in order.

I have in the past, welded up damaged cases including adding material filling in the waisted areas between the webbing in an attempt to aid in the field, but I'm not going to say it may only prove to be "feel-good" effort, but one wasn't out anything as these were cases needing repair anyway.            :)

On the third-gear tooth breakage issue, try and maintain a slight preload on the main and input shaft bearing sets front to rear (remember the case is going to grow in length with temperature), as this aids in reducing the deflection at the juncture of the input and main/output shafts, this reducing the tooth-climbing in the relationship and the resultant reduction in load carrying capacity of particularly the third gear set.           ;)

Scott.