Author Topic: 400+ lbs. flat tappet cam  (Read 4038 times)

plovett

400+ lbs. flat tappet cam
« on: October 19, 2020, 06:43:18 PM »
My flat tappet cam had about 150 lbs closed and a little over 400 lbs open.  Nitrided cam with EDM'd dumbbell lifters.

After a few thousand miles I was pleasantly surprised.  The pic's are likely garbage.

pl
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 06:45:33 PM by plovett »

winr1

Re: 400+ flat tappet cam
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 06:47:01 PM »
Top pic ( lifter ) ... the round inner shaded circle was where they were spinning ??

Still have a dome ??

Ricky.

plovett

Re: 400+ lbs. flat tappet cam
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 06:50:27 PM »
I think so regarding the spinning.   I didn't really check for the taper on the lifter other than they don't look concave.  I should put one on a piece of glass and see if the dome is still there.  From just a cursory glance they look great to my uneducated eye. 

pl

plovett

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 06:58:46 PM »
I was full of trepidation pulling the lifters and cam.  Running this cam for the last decade or so,  I found that I had to tighten the lash a couple of thousandths every 500-1000 miles or so.  So I always worried a bit.  It has been suggested that the wear was somewhere else in the valve train.  Rocker adjusters or pushrods?  Maybe so.  In any case it seems to me that this shit held up, at least for several thousand miles.  The spring pressures were pretty high for a street driven flat tappet, in my opinion. 

pl
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 07:05:06 PM by plovett »

winr1

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 09:37:13 PM »
Great news !!

Have ya pulled a spring and checked the retainers and keepers for wear ??

Ricky.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 09:38:47 PM by winr1 »

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 10:44:52 PM »
I think if a solid cam is broken in successfully it doesn’t wear as much as everyone worries about. I think most will agree you don’t adjust them as much as you would think. Not that you shouldn’t check them let’s say if you take the covers off but even when you check they usually aren’t out.

manofmerc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 04:11:02 AM »
Which oil were you using .On my 460 bracket race engine I have the same spring pressure as you and my cam and lifters look good also .My 63 center oiler has 385 open and solid dumbbell lifters .So far its looking good too.I use Valvoline vr1 for oil .Looking good there Paulie!

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 05:29:27 AM »
With a nitrided cam and EDM lifters (especially tool steel ones) I have run 440 lbs open many times.  Good parts will take it. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

plovett

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 05:34:19 AM »
Great news !!

Have ya pulled a spring and checked the retainers and keepers for wear ??

Ricky.

Not yet. I have titanium retainers which are less resistant to wear if something isn't just right.  I've had inner springs eat up titanium retainers in the past. 

paulie

plovett

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 05:36:35 AM »
I think if a solid cam is broken in successfully it doesn’t wear as much as everyone worries about. I think most will agree you don’t adjust them as much as you would think. Not that you shouldn’t check them let’s say if you take the covers off but even when you check they usually aren’t out.

I agree.  The thing is, I often had to tighten up the lash just a little bit.  Not on every valve every time, but always some of them.  Not always the same ones.

pl
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 06:00:17 AM by plovett »

plovett

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 05:37:34 AM »
Which oil were you using .On my 460 bracket race engine I have the same spring pressure as you and my cam and lifters look good also .My 63 center oiler has 385 open and solid dumbbell lifters .So far its looking good too.I use Valvoline vr1 for oil .Looking good there Paulie!

I used Mobil One 15W50 with some ZDDPlus added.

pl

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 08:14:24 AM »

I am in the same camp.  There just isn't any empirical evidence of what causes flat tappet cam failure.  If there was, then we would use that data for best practices and nobody would have flat tappet cam failure.  My theory is that the Internet causes cam failures.  We learned from the Internet that it was poor metallurgy in the cam and/or lifters or insufficient zinc in the oil.  The Internet had solutions for us;  boutique motor oils and extra specialized treatments of the cam and lifters.  While this is a bit tongue-in-cheek, you have to recognize that even if you do everything by the book and then some (light run-in springs, boutique oil, immediate fire up and 20 minute break-in) you can still have a cam failure.  Or valve failure.  Or bearing failure.  Or piston/ring failure.  Or crank failure.  Or rod failure.  Or block failure.  If you build one engine every year, you are in the statistical success, no problems zone.  If you build 100 engines a year, yeah, you have some exposure to failure.

Solid flat tappets are usually pretty stable when it comes to lash.  There were a lot of meek engines that came from the factory with solid lifters.  Chrysler slant sixes come to mind.  And a lot of OHC engines are solid tappets.  You don't hear of anyone "running the valves" every couple thousand miles on those.  You'd think someone was daft for doing so.  I think a lot of checking lash is just looking for something ever so slightly off so that you can feel good about making something better.  Takin' care of your baby.

Just rambling on here so you can protest my opinion.

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 11:17:56 AM »
plovett, I have a quick question.

A lot of cam makers, recommend that you brake a cam in, with spring pressures, not over 300#. Did you break it in with lower pressure springs?
Frank

plovett

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2020, 01:20:10 PM »

A lot of cam makers, recommend that you brake a cam in, with spring pressures, not over 300#. Did you break it in with lower pressure springs?

I did remove the inner valve springs and I think I also used .0.050" taller locks, for break in.  I don't remember what the resultant pressure was.  I could calculate it.

pl

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2020, 03:05:03 PM »

I did remove the inner valve springs and I think I also used .0.050" taller locks, for break in.  I don't remember what the resultant pressure was.  I could calculate it.

pl
That's ok. I was just wondering if you took break in precautions.
Frank