Author Topic: Options For A 1967 Factory Stock 427 Medium Riser Piston Replacement  (Read 2094 times)

dozz302

• View Profile
Hello, just wondering if any one makes a 100% replica of the 1967 427 Medium Riser piston. Thanks

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Options For A 1967 Factory Stock 427 Medium Riser Piston Replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 03:59:49 AM »
We can get anything we want with a custom piston but you want the weight and tractor rings too????
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 09:09:04 AM »
Lol the low riser flattops do indeed have the 5/64 3/32 3/16 "tractor rings" like the early 390s (and don't forget the ring pack on a 391) but the small dome MR piston had a SLIGHTLY more modern set. They did tend to crack on the skirts when run with a little (!) extra clearance. The grenade war sound from the block would (mostly) go away when the engine got warm...  :o

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 11:38:45 AM »
   1/16x1/16x1/8th IIRC

dozz302

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 12:26:23 PM »
Yes I would want the weight and tractor rings, reason being that any changes to that > then you would have to make the pristine steel crank look like swiss cheese, holes drilled in your nice balancer  and would cut the value in half. Changes to the factory specifications means that the rest of the rotating assembly would have to be modified (drilled welded) to accommodate the "light" pistons.
I have seen singles for sale that were made by Ford (in Motorsport boxes) that were probably made in the 80's or 90's but haven't seen any complete sets. They looked identical to the early C5AE pistons.
Not building a race motor. Just want a exact replacement piston just "New" .030   
Want to absolutely minimize "Machining" on parts to balance.
Thanks again wait to hear.

Dubs1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 12:30:59 PM »

Hi Gene

I have a set  of   original 1966 medium riser pistons   with about  10K  in total miles.   Took them  out of an original  side oiler block that we wanted to modify for more power and  never reused them.  They are in excellent condition

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 12:39:51 PM »
Yes I would want the weight and tractor rings, reason being that any changes to that > then you would have to make the pristine steel crank look like swiss cheese, holes drilled in your nice balancer  and would cut the value in half. Changes to the factory specifications means that the rest of the rotating assembly would have to be modified (drilled welded) to accommodate the "light" pistons.
I have seen singles for sale that were made by Ford (in Motorsport boxes) that were probably made in the 80's or 90's but haven't seen any complete sets. They looked identical to the early C5AE pistons.

No changes to the balancer.

No metal added.

No swiss cheese.   

Unless you're changing to a lighter rod from the factory grenades (as in going to a Molnar rod), you probably won't show a large difference in bobweight. 

Any ring skinnier than 5/64 or 1/16 is not "race".  The OEM has been using much, much smaller ring pack sizes for a very long time. 

If you can't find any Ebay specials, it would be very easy to duplicate the factory piston volume, compression height, etc., with a new forged piston. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 01:14:25 PM »

No changes to the balancer.

No metal added.

No swiss cheese.   

Unless you're changing to a lighter rod from the factory grenades (as in going to a Molnar rod), you probably won't show a large difference in bobweight. 

Any ring skinnier than 5/64 or 1/16 is not "race".  The OEM has been using much, much smaller ring pack sizes for a very long time. 

If you can't find any Ebay specials, it would be very easy to duplicate the factory piston volume, compression height, etc., with a new forged piston.

X2

The balancer if at zero, won't need to be touched at all. If it needs to, it would with the stock pistons too.  Might be a touch on the crank, but if the pistons are a similar configuration, but with better rings and likely 4032 material, you will have little real change in balance and a much nicer engine. 

I'd also add, that aftermarket you can go any bore you want, which saves cylinder wall.  My last CJ was .010 over, the three before that were .025, and my own 489 center oiler  is .047 over.  (Supposedly going to blow up every second since 2006 LOL)
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

1964Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2020, 01:33:08 PM »
Just for my own clarification and curiosity, are you looking for a set of pistons or just one?  My original take was you had 8 but one rolled off the workbench or hit a valve or broke a skirt or something, and you wanted a replacement identical to the other 7.

Pat
1964 Galaxie 500 2 dr Fastback, 390, 4 speed, Indianapolis Indiana

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 05:11:41 PM »
   TRW made the "as forged" dome and valve relief 427 MR pistons. No one else it the aftermarket industry does that now as the volume is not there like it was when the engines were built by Ford. For TRW it was easier to take more time to application specific dies than spending machine time making fully machined domes from "blanks" like is done today. TRW MUST have has SEVERAL thousand forging dies whereas current companies only have 100-200 and 50 actively used ones. It's different when you supply the OEMs. The cumulative time to make a set of eight back then was about an hour on early "tape control" machines. It takes over ten times that to make a set now.
  Randy