Author Topic: 64 Galaxie 390 Project...Will be slow going and will need advice  (Read 1904 times)

XxSlowpokexX

• View Profile
Just wanted to say I am totally new to FE's and picked up a stock 64 Galaxy sans 2.5" dual exhaust and an edlebrock carb.  I also haven't played with a car with points and a carb since about 1994.  All that being said I did about a week of research and came up with a plan of action here.  This will not be a fascinating or exciting build, but more of a mild, I need to make it my own (and a bit more reliable) build.  I want to keep it simple for now as I end to go a bit overboard and cant leave everything alone.  So here is the plan and constructive criticism/advice is welcome.  Just as a side not the car has low miles (may or may not be true), and runs strong.  The motor however is blue and I thought black was the block color in 64 so something may have been done or changed or just painted.  Ill eventually find out

Ignition/Distributor

I was thinking an aftermarket with HEI built in such as the one DUI offers.  Ive used them in the past on many cars and been happy.  I see many point towards the Petronix however.  Pros cons?  I absolutely want to get rid of the points

Heads

Well, Id like to get a set of heads, have them rebuilt with hardened exhaust seats and perhaps minor porting valve job, correct springs for cam etc.  Ready to put on my engine. Is there e particular casting I should look out for.  Again mild so low rise or mid ride heads im guessing.  Does that affect the intake choice?

Intake Manifold

From what Ive read a performer RPM would likely be the only way to go for a new intake that is relatively not to crazy or crappy.  Would a used Street Dominator be good?  What should I keep my eye out on used? I heard stock is not bad either for what it is but I want to used it as a door stopper)

Camshaft

Looking towards a hydraulic camshaft.  Considering the mild build ,intake choice, heads and I dont plan on doing a converter anytime soon, whats a good grind?  Im figuring also to keep it 5,500 or under for longevity sakes.  Now if the cam is on the verge of needing a converter I can live with that as the transmission will be addressed eventually. Figuring something in the low .500" lift range high 200" duration 112 lobe separation range.  I've read custom grinds are obviously best suited but I really dont want to go there at the moment.  Id also replace the chain and pushrods.  I dont believe its solid lifter (doesn't sound like it) and I really don't know at the moment.

Carburetor

The edlebrock works fine but I was thinking of upgrading to a Holley 750 vacuum secondary. I would really like to upgrade to a simple EFI setup in the future but for now I want to stick to the above.

Fuel pump

Looks original just like most everything else.  Perhaps just a highflow replacement?

Accessories

I plan on doing an alternator conversion.  I also really like the not to obnoxious looking serpentine belt setup.  That being said Id also go with a new waterpump and power steering pump.  Any recommendation as to the type of pump I should upgrade to?  There are a few options I can fit.

Headers

Nothing crazy I just cant believe how awful the factory design manifolds seem to be.  Advice on brand? Sanderson?

Radiator

Ill go with an aftermarket aluminum with electric fans.  I've seen a few ideas online to go with.

Gearing

I will likely upgrade to something based on the cam but not till after the above is done.

The above is basically the steps I want to take relatively soon with the car.  Likely wont happen till it gets a bit warmer but will happen relatively quick once I start.  Alot of the above I want to do for reliability with a bit of performance and engine appeal thrown in while overcoming some of the motors short comings.  The next step after this is to just go a bit crazy and I dont need another car like that.

Anyway thats it for now and thanks for all the help Im surely going to need in advance
1964 Galaxie 390 Auto-Stock engine for now :)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: 64 Galaxie 390 Project...Will be slow going and will need advice
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 08:09:06 AM »
I'll throw a few quick and easy ideas at you, all aimed at your goal.

Distributor/ignition: I wouldn't go with the hideous looking DUI. Most all Ford guys would agree with that. A stock dizzy with a Pertronix, or a later Duraspark type would work great and look much better. The Pertronix has the advantage of being able to keep all the other stock components.

Heads: Your C4 heads are some of the best stock heads out there (if that's what your car has, which it should if it's stock). Have them redone. Hardened seats can be installed, but they need to be done by someone who's very competent as there's not a lot of meat under the exhaust area.

Intake: Yes, an RPM is the best all-around choice for a street car.

Camshaft: A custom grind really isn't going to cost you any more than an off the shelf grind, but the 270/280 series of Comp Cams grinds are pretty popular and seem to work fine on mild builds. The 280 series gets you in the territory of possibly needing a convertor.

Carb: The Edelbrock would do you fine on the street. Pretty easily tunable and trouble free, but they generally give up a few HP over a Holley. Not really a big deal on a street car.

Fuel Pump: A stock type would probably work fine for you, although the standard Edelbrock is hard to beat. Nothing fancy needed for what you want.

Accessories: An Edelbrock water pump is a nice standard upgrade. I'm not a big fan of the serpentines unless you're going for the custom/show look, but that comes down to your preference.

The rest, others can chime in on as they're pretty car specific, and my '65 isn't the same as your '64.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 08:36:44 AM »
My question to you would be, before you get to your list you said the car runs strong. You also stated you want to make the car yours.
In my little pea brain I’m thinking, “I’ve got a nice strong running car. Do I want to take it apart and not drive it for months? Or do I want to keep driving it and do some updates to bend the car to being mine?”. For example, your first item the distributor. How about updating it to a Pertronix set up? It’s an easy job and boom, there’s one off your list (I agree with above, HEI is hideous and non Ford).
Then you can tackle other projects on it while it’s running and you are having fun with it, instead of a pile of parts in your driveway that is pissing you off while you wait for parts/people/money/inspiration to finish.
A lot of us have been there.
Seriously good luck with your project. How about some pictures of this beauty.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

XxSlowpokexX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 08:57:31 PM »
Guys.  Thank you.  I've never dealt with FE engines however I'm an all out ford guy and always been.  Keeping in mind my engine building experience started in the mid 80's with VW Beatle I dont mind hydraulic cams and electronic ignition.  From there I've been all about small block fords mostly 302 based with a few 351's and one Boss 351 Cleveland.  I've also owned several older cars , 70's and 60's but never as a project.  My main squeeze project the past 15 years has actually been a 3.8 ford powered thunderbird.  Its currently 4.2 liters, turbocharged, solid roller and running on e85 with an aftermarket ECU.  Truth be told I destroyed my car in the process.  Used to drive sooo nice.

So the Galaxy is really me wanting a nice cruiser. Why touch it if its running strong?  Its old.  I want to refresh the heads with hardened valve seats, springs and good valve seals (thanks for letting me know I actually have good castings).  If I'm going to do that I may as well swap the cam out and change the intake.  Thats one heavy intake I'm told.  I would leave the exhaust alone but then I read how the exhaust port configuration was and well.  The ignition?  One last thing to go wrong.  I built this 94 mustang for my brother e few years back.
 From the rear to the engine.  Re used the stock distributer.  I'm in NYC he's in Ft Myers FL.   I decided to surprise him by driving it down to FL.  He had no idea I was giving him a car.  Well I hit NC and the distributer went.  The one thing I didn't change.  Soo... As far as the serpentine setup.  I just like them better than v belts.  Again its probably my hot rod upbringing and experience telling me Electronic ignition, hydraulic cams, 1 belt that will stay in place when I do the alternator upgrade. Obviously I don't want it running worse but a little more power and reliability never hurt anyone.  I wont win any races and I'm ok with that:O)

Am I wrong that the 64 engines were painted black originally as this one is blue? Im going to check casting Numbers when Im back at the car just to see if things match up.  Suppose I could get a Marti report to see exactly what I have as well.  Its also a bucket seat car not a bench.  Not sure if that means anything.

So it seems I'm on the right track for at least what I want.  I dont have an expected HP number so no disappointments here really.

Ill get some pictures up when I get back to the car.  I live in Queens NY and the car is stored out in eastern LI for now until it gets a bit nicer.  Kind of why now is a good time to get the approach taken care of.

Really appreciate the help.  You all have some crazy nice rides.  Truly jealous.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 10:48:37 PM »
Yes, the FE engines were originally black in 1964.
What you're wanting to do is pretty common with people; a little more power to keep up with modern traffic, while doing a few modernizing upgrades. Nothing wrong with that. It doesn't take much to really wake up an old big block. A decent intake/carb, a fairly mild cam and a little gearing would make a world of difference. Not corking the exhaust with those terrible manifolds is a good idea as well. Being in New York, I'd probably put a brake upgrade on the agenda too. I imagine you have a lot of traffic to deal with.
Good luck with the project.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 11:01:18 PM »
Good deal. You know what you want.
Share some pics when you get a chance.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 08:15:50 AM »
i tell you what i have in my 64. C4-G heads cleaned up some,CJ Valves, Comp 282 solid cam, Due to PI block
Ported Streetmaster intake, flattop pistons, duraspark distributor, MSD box 750 VS , edelbrock waterpump V-Belt stays on beyond
6500 rpm. stock recored radiator. Cruices nice i have taken it on several cross country trips
Yes the engine was black in 64
Ohh forgot shorty factory castiron headers. Kugel Component reproduce them now
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 11:48:23 AM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

XxSlowpokexX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 06:07:41 PM »
I appreciate all the feedback again.  And yes a brake upgrade was on my list as well as perhaps a transmission upgrade and gears.  I particularly like the 6 speed auto option but I dont really want to be manhandeling the transmission tunnel.  Im in the process of installing one of my other cars.  Brakes would be next although Ill admit reading up on all of the different spindle rotor combinations that van be used and some not ideally made my eyes water. But Ill get to those questions while I get there.  Last car I had with all drums was a 66 Pontiac Catalina with a 389 that I bought from the original owner that won it at a fair brand new.  I was crossing a bridge in traffic when one of the wheel cylinders went out and I managed to total a pontiac sunbird and a Hyundai elantra doing 7mph.  I tin canned the entire side of the Hyundai and back ended the pontiac.  My car received a ding on the headlight bezel and scuffs on my bumper.  Knowing me...Probably a good idea to upgrade at some point. I was told the pads and cylinders were all changed.  Master looks awfully original though but lines underneath looked good.  It was a concern of mine.  I may get out to my garage this weekend to shoot some images. But Im hearing snow.  Well see!  Eventually though regardless.

blu64galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 01:31:50 PM »
Hi, I'm probably chiming in a little late on this thread, but since your build sounds so much like mine, I thought I'd share some good (and bad) mods I did to my '64 Galaxie.... I embedded my responses into your 'grocery list', lol.

Sorry if it's a looong reply --it's about 5 above here, so not lots to do (being retired that is).   

Hth  Norm
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ignition/Distributor

I was thinking an aftermarket with HEI built in such as the one DUI offers.  Ive used them in the past on many cars and been happy.  I see many point towards the Petronix however.  Pros cons?  I absolutely want to get rid of the points

Me:  I agree with the consensus here, use a Ford duraspark distributor, or convert to/run Pertronix. I run a Pert II distributor on mine now, but yrs ago I just ran a simple Pert Igniter I on it.  Then..... send the distributor to someone like Wes Adams or Faron Rhodes and get it recurved.  Money well spent !!

Heads

Well, Id like to get a set of heads, have them rebuilt with hardened exhaust seats and perhaps minor porting valve job, correct springs for cam etc.  Ready to put on my engine. Is there e particular casting I should look out for.  Again mild so low rise or mid ride heads im guessing.  Does that affect the intake choice?

Me:  I added a RPM intake to my iron C4AE-G heads for a few years, but be aware there's a bit of a port mismatch there, and if you don't due some research on intake gasket choices, and use/non-use of the frt and rr rail gaskets, you may wind up with a 'crop-duster' --haha. In other words, the intake can 'slirp' oil up when running. I also found that even the touted Felpro 1247-S3 intake gaskets tend to 'squirm' around the water jacket ports --evidenced when I pulled those heads to replace with Edelbrock heads a couple years ago. These are just pitfalls I ran into --being a weekend 'putzer' that I am, and not a 'guru' like many of the members here. :p

Also:  I find that folks are split on whether you need hardened seats --or not. As mentioned, there's not a lot of meat there to begin with, and for what your build intention is ...I dunno !  As an aside;  I bought a pair of C4 heads from a supposedly good machinist, all done (seats et al) and ready to go .....And when I took them to my local machinist, he gasped and kindly advised me against using them --lesson learned for me !

When I swapped the iron heads for Edelbrocks in 2018, I took that port issue right out of the equation (since they're the same company and mate right up essentially). Ed's are 'ok', but will need looked over by a machinist (IMO) before using. There are also TFS (trick flow), BBM and Promaxx now (and maybe more ?) ..... I had my machinist do some mild bowl work on my Eds while he was fixing their build 'issues', lol.

Intake Manifold

From what Ive read a performer RPM would likely be the only way to go for a new intake that is relatively not to crazy or crappy.  Would a used Street Dominator be good?  What should I keep my eye out on used? I heard stock is not bad either for what it is but I want to used it as a door stopper)

Me:  I run an RPM, but if you pick up Jay Brown's intake comparo book, there are more that work well too.

Camshaft

Looking towards a hydraulic camshaft.  Considering the mild build ,intake choice, heads and I dont plan on doing a converter anytime soon, whats a good grind?  Im figuring also to keep it 5,500 or under for longevity sakes.  Now if the cam is on the verge of needing a converter I can live with that as the transmission will be addressed eventually. Figuring something in the low .500" lift range high 200" duration 112 lobe separation range.  I've read custom grinds are obviously best suited but I really dont want to go there at the moment.  Id also replace the chain and pushrods.  I dont believe its solid lifter (doesn't sound like it) and I really don't know at the moment.

Me:  I've read countless times that Oregon Camshaft rank very high. They will make (or sell you) a cam tailored to your engine/car combo. I run a Comp 270H in my '64, and honestly, it's a not ideal for such a heavy car. It's not bad mind you --I shoulda/coulda/woulda on this cam, imo, lol.  IF I ever go back and redo my cam, I'd call them in a heartbeat.

Valvetrain:  I honestly just run stock stuff there..... Yes, you can spend oodles and buy nice stuff (avoid the procomp, speedmaster, prw brand stuff). I may go back and add end stands on mine, but honestly I don't push the engine that hard. I spent many hours redoing each rocker arm, and bought new shafts and springs....kind of a 'basement blueprinting' lol ..... Order pushrods AFTEr you measure everything up ! It's just nice to have all that stuff done --correctly, so that at start up time you're smiling more :)

Carburetor

The edlebrock works fine but I was thinking of upgrading to a Holley 750 vacuum secondary. I would really like to upgrade to a simple EFI setup in the future but for now I want to stick to the above.

Me:  I just run a Holley 650 vs .....I'm one of those 'less is more' kinda guys, carb wise. There's tons of opinions and knowledge on it, so I won't harp too much on it ---it's just my preference. There was an edelbrock on it when I bought it.......didn't like it much and went to a Holley.  The EFI option sounds nice too !

Fuel pump

Looks original just like most everything else.  Perhaps just a highflow replacement?

Me:  I just run a stock mech fuel pump.  Yes, I did have some fuel percolation problems 5 yrs ago, so I re-plumbed the line from pump to carb with a nice braided hose, and that seemed to help -along with some mods to the cooling system.  With today's gas and all, EFI makes more and more sense.

Accessories

I plan on doing an alternator conversion.  I also really like the not to obnoxious looking serpentine belt setup.  That being said Id also go with a new waterpump and power steering pump.  Any recommendation as to the type of pump I should upgrade to?  There are a few options I can fit.

Me:  I converted to a simple 60a 1970s Ford type alternator some years back. Since I didn't need fancy serp belt drives nor electric cooling fan and high-end sounds, that fits well for my needs. I can buy an off-the-shelf alternator in case I break down miles from home, etc.  There are tons of Alt conversions online, no doubt you've seen them (for 3G using more late model units, etc).  Mine is just one (simple) possibility.

I found a Tuff Stuff aluminum water pump for a 'nice' price --and have been running that for a few years now. Might be a less expensive alternative for ya ?

Power steering:  I have manual on mine and actually love it !  If you still have the factory p/s, I would go through it and make sure it's all up to snuff. Prone to leaking/oozing and you have to be weary of that ball stud on the control valve --they CAN fail ! (I was a Ford tech and then parts manager at a Ford store and saw lots of these go 'kapow', lol. ) Borgeson makes a 'kit' for our cars, but it's quite the job from what I see --and hear. jmo

ps:  If your car still has those offset lower control arm bolts, I would address that before you go on many cruises ! 

Headers

Nothing crazy I just cant believe how awful the factory design manifolds seem to be.  Advice on brand? Sanderson?

Me:  I couldn't afford FPA's when I wanted to do headers, plus with a 4-speed Stan advised me on the phone that I *may* still run into a fitment problem, so I went with some off-shore shorty headers I found online. They are similar to Sandersons and have really held up nicely. Yes, there are trade-offs between short and long headers, plus you have to marry your new headers to your existing exhaust  --for me, since I wasn't seeking that last pound of torque or two for racing, shorties worked.

Radiator

Ill go with an aftermarket aluminum with electric fans.  I've seen a few ideas online to go with.

Me:  I chased a 'hot at idle' problem for a while in my car --came that way. So after a champion radiator swap and a bunch of other parts, I wound up just having my brass radiator redone locally and wal-la, that seemed to be the ticket for me. Lots of guys have had good luck with aluminum ones, so I am not discounting them --it just didn't work for me.
Also:  I didn't wanna have to remove everything, and redo my alternator for electric fans (besides, room is tight for one, so make sure you do some homework beforehand)--so ultimately what wound up REAlly helping in the low mph and/or idling engine cooling was to go to a 6.25" water pump pulley versus the stock 7.25" one.  E-fans are fine though !  ....and I see lots of them at car shows and guys I've talked to who own Galaxies .....

Gearing

I will likely upgrade to something based on the cam but not till after the above is done.

Me:  Agreed !  I just left the original 3.50 gears in my car .... It's low enough to help the 'whale' get going, but high enough that I can still do some highway/freeway driving. I went to 28" tall rear tires to help out as well --anything taller I feel I really hurt the low-end.  With my cam and how it's installed, it could use a numerically higher gear --but we like to just cruise in the car too much for that. :p

The above is basically the steps I want to take relatively soon with the car.  Likely wont happen till it gets a bit warmer but will happen relatively quick once I start.  Alot of the above I want to do for reliability with a bit of performance and engine appeal thrown in while overcoming some of the motors short comings.  The next step after this is to just go a bit crazy and I dont need another car like that.

Anyway thats it for now and thanks for all the help Im surely going to need in advance
Norm Russo  blu64galaxie

1964 Galaxie 500  aka 'the blue goose'