Author Topic: Working my way through some minor oil leaks  (Read 1829 times)

fairlaniac

• View Profile
Working my way through some minor oil leaks
« on: September 23, 2020, 07:01:27 PM »
Well I fixed the leaking oil galley plugs on my 427 last week. I also replaced the cam plug even though it wasn't leaking. Just figured it best to do them all again since it was open. Still with the dye in the oil I wiped clean the entire engine and traced out a few minor dribbles. I notice on my Craft Stage II (Edelbrock) heads the valve cover rails are thinner than on the intake and I have a small leak on the driver's side rear. Seems the valve cover flange and the rail on the head are just barely mating up. Is there a "best" fitting valve cover gasket to use? I currently have a rubber, possibly Fel-pro gasket. Also on my Pro Billet distributor a little oil is leaking past the seal. Are there "fatter" seals?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 08:14:15 PM by fairlaniac »
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX

Stangman

• View Profile
Re: Working my way through some minor oil leaks
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 10:17:13 PM »
Never liked the rubber the cork seal so much better. Glad you got the back of the motor squared away it’s probably a load off your mind.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 06:58:52 AM »
+1 on the cork. They've always seemed to work best for me.

On the distributor, the issue is most likely the intake. Is it an Edelbrock intake? I think the holes are machined slightly too big, allowing the seal to fit loosely and leak. I've had this issue on the last 2 engines that used an Edelbrock. One has an MSD distributor, the other a factory Ford, both with the same issue. The only way I know of to stop or slow down the leak is to put something behind the seal, to force it out against the hole. I've not been successful in stopping it completely, but have managed to slow it down considerably, to the point it wasn't drowning the intake in oil after extended drives, like it was before. I used a thin rubber band and slight amount of sealer with it behind the factory seal.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 07:09:03 AM »
Cork on the valve cover gasket.  Glue it to the valve cover and then put a thin layer of grease between the gasket and the head.   It will seal up just fine, unless your intake is sitting higher than the head, or vice versa.

On the distributor seal, put a little layer of tape between the dist and the seal so it will shove the seal out further.  I also use a little layer of grease on the outside of the seal. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 09:28:43 AM »
You’ve probably heard the old adage, “ even a picture of a 390 leaks oil”.
I expect you will “endeavor to persevere” and eventually triumph over all the leaks

“Now, I don’t like it anymore than you men.
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 09:50:21 AM »
Watch very closely that the intake gasket doesn't rise higher than the highest rail, even if the rails are uneven. 

They can act like a knife and either leave a small gap or cut the gasket.  I often have to knock them down.  Soft 202A gaskets are easy but the steel core ones need an adequate tool
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 11:32:21 AM »
I always put a dab of sealant at the head/intake mating gap after trimmingdown the gasket.

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 01:27:16 PM »
i thought from the start the valve covers might be part of your leak.that back corner is the worst spot for a hidden leak.i usually run my fingers along the bottom rail of the valve covers checking for leaks ever so often. sometimes its hard to see where its leaking at but if you wipe it clean under the lip of the valve covers,then come back after a pass or two and run your fingers under the lip again and you can pinpoint it better. my pro billet dist leaks a little too.i might try Brents tape idea next time i have the dist out.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 06:07:05 AM »
i thought from the start the valve covers might be part of your leak.that back corner is the worst spot for a hidden leak.i usually run my fingers along the bottom rail of the valve covers checking for leaks ever so often. sometimes its hard to see where its leaking at but if you wipe it clean under the lip of the valve covers,then come back after a pass or two and run your fingers under the lip again and you can pinpoint it better. my pro billet dist leaks a little too.i might try Brents tape idea next time i have the dist out.

Yeah the valve cover leak though small was caught on my "black light" video on the RH head. I want to address that. It's amazing once you put dye into your oil and do the black light check how many little leaks show up. Here is a link to my post of test videos. http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=9218.0

New cork VC gaskets on the way. I'll give them a show. Part line between intake and head is smooth, level with gasket tab trimmed and sealed.
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 02:34:15 PM »
Doug still put a dab of silicone at the intake/cylinder head part line.