Author Topic: First Start Tips and Tricks- FE Truck  (Read 3385 times)

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
Re: First Start Tips and Tricks- FE Truck
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2020, 03:40:04 PM »
69 Crew,

I got the Nicopp line because I had a hard time with steel line, not wanting to bend, then kinking in the tool. I could have filled it with sand or something, but I did not like the idea. I finally got tired of fighting it and went with the Nicopp. At first I thought it was going to be the cats meow. Well after getting a bend almost perfect(easily by hand) I noticed it seemed to have work hardened. Just a little more, and kink. All by hand/feel. After about three times I got a little mad. Decided I could run one bend and the rest straight for most of the distance and use hose to make the rest.  So then, I was trying to use 3/8" ferrules to make a barb by compressing the line in my flaring tool....played hell. Had some 45 degree nuts and mating hose barb, said hell I will just use these(pricey) and the stuff was way soft. Even with a nice tubing flare tool(rotary die type) it would not make a good flare on the 3/8" line. It will flare steel line perfect.
Short story is I was hoping it was a perfect solution to steel, but overall it fell short.
Did all my brake lines with ease....the bigger stuff definitely fought me.

Good luck on yours. I was lucky everything went so well on mine....really did not expect it with my luck...hope it continues through to paint and body HAHA.

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
Re: First Start Tips and Tricks- FE Truck
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2020, 10:30:55 AM »
I just made a new set of brake lines using Nicopp - front to back on the truck. I had some tight bends and had to do a couple of loops to get the ends lined up. I did notice that I really had to work it slowly, and once it was stretched it didn't go back.

Having said that it was much easier to use than steel. I never filled it, and in total I only wasted about a foot of tube. Using the bender required a very slow and gently approach.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.