Author Topic: Ford 9” dimensions  (Read 889 times)

Hipopinto

• View Profile
Ford 9” dimensions
« on: September 07, 2020, 10:23:04 AM »
Hey all

When they built axles for the leaf spring equipped cars did they “center” the yoke in the middle of the car?

I guess what I’m asking is the yoke supposed to be close if not centered between the leaf spring perches?

I have a small bearing 9” in my pinto that I believe is from a 64-66 mustang it fits very well but I’m thinking of building a new one with large bearing ends and I want to run Calvert racing springs and Calvert CalTracs

I’m trying to avoid ripping the rear out of the car until I can just bolt this new one in place!

By chance is there anywhere I can find dimensions for mustang rear ends? Like housing widths, perch centers, and yoke placement?

I can get pretty close with the rear installed in car but I would like to be exact!

Also what is the difference from axle mounting surface (where wheels bolt on) to the housing end?

Thanks
Dave

jmlay

• View Profile
Re: Ford 9” dimensions
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 01:23:33 PM »
All mustang rear housings are centered. Spring purches 65-70 are 43 inches center to center. I thought 71-73 purches were further apart but according to the chassis dimentions they are 43 as well.

https://mustangsandmore.com/ubb/FordRearDimensions.html
Mike

Hipopinto

• View Profile
Re: Ford 9” dimensions
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 07:53:33 PM »
Thank you

That’s exactly what I needed!!!

Dave