Author Topic: TFS vs Edelbrock  (Read 7933 times)

wayne

• View Profile
Re: TFS vs Edelbrock
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2020, 02:03:39 PM »
Has any one run the keith craft ported pro max heads how do they fit in is their more players in the fe head game.

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2020, 02:06:18 PM »
Has any one run the keith craft ported pro max heads how do they fit in is their more players in the fe head game.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2020, 02:07:08 PM »
i heard years ago the edelbrocks were just a alu stock replacement head,about the same as cj heads but lighter head,near stock performance

I've never owned a set, but was under the impression that they had a more modern chamber that required less initial timing, which is still a big plus. I just glanced at a few pictures and saw the chamber isn't much different than stock, so I guess the timing advantage isn't there? That certainly eliminates what would amount to a big plus.

Really no different than other engine families, unless i'm missing something I don't see anyone building small blocks with the Performer or old World Product JR heads, or 460s with the original FRPP Cobra Jet heads....they've been surpassed in the last two decades and folks are running AFR heads or the Kaase P-51s. 

All good points.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2020, 02:10:41 PM »
Sorry for two posts.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2020, 02:20:04 PM »

They would be no different than an Edelbrock.   The Pro Maxx heads are carbon copies of the Edelbrocks, copied by a Chinese company.   They are Pro Comp/Speedmaster wannabes.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2020, 06:09:39 PM »
That makes me mad how do companys get away with this the website says made and ported in usa their should be a law to stop it.

brettco

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2020, 06:51:04 PM »
 The one on fb last week was cast quite a bit nicer than edelbrock. 

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2020, 09:26:13 PM »
Promaxx is showing some big numbers, but you have to go with a 200 cc port in order to get to the level that just eeks over the trick flows at max lift, and then they’re 2500 bucks. The next level down is cheap but only flows 280

I’m not overly impressed with the Promaxx, Not saying they are bad or good, just saying they arent anything that special
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2020, 01:59:29 AM »
My 390 has a set of Edelbrock's that I bought bare and had some Stage XR7 porting done to them. Pretty mild with CJ valve size however they were done with the engine combo in mind and it runs pretty hard. Would I buy another set.. not a chance since there's so many better heads out there at this time as previously mentioned. Trick Flows seem to be the best out of the box these days but as also mentioned.. the unusable stock valve train components make them also a no for me. I might die of old age waiting for the Trick Flow T-wedge to show up but that's another subject.  As always, listen to the experts here and get the right head for your Combo. Guys like Brent have tried them all so know what's what.

Years ago I bought Dove's because everyone in the free world was running Edelbrock and I wanted to be different. They were spuds out of the box as well in spite of what Dove claims (and still claims btw) but nothing money couldn't fix. Made some decent power for the time but another thing I won't repeat.     

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2020, 07:54:55 AM »
Would be cool if one of the manufacturers who make such things would offer a “TF” rocker shaft stand.
Trick flow would be the first company I would ask, since they created the issue.

Shortening the stands isn’t that big of a deal I guess, but it is a pain for the weekend warrior in his garage who just wants to bolt them on and go, and doesn’t have a machine shop at his disposal.

Shaft stands aren’t all that expensive, POP sells a set for a $100, I think like 99.9%  of the people who are buying the TF heads would gladly pay $100 more for a set that came with stands that worked.

Just my $.02....

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2020, 08:11:37 AM »
Would be cool if one of the manufacturers who make such things would offer a “TF” rocker shaft stand.
Trick flow would be the first company I would ask, since they created the issue.

Shortening the stands isn’t that big of a deal I guess, but it is a pain for the weekend warrior in his garage who just wants to bolt them on and go, and doesn’t have a machine shop at his disposal.

Shaft stands aren’t all that expensive, POP sells a set for a $100, I think like 99.9%  of the people who are buying the TF heads would gladly pay $100 more for a set that came with stands that worked.

Just my $.02....

Even with other brands of heads, rocker stands need to be moved up and down some, so it's not like the TFS heads are the only ones that require work.  I do know that it's easier to shim up than mill down though. 

On the TFS heads, depending on which rocker arm is used, I've had to move anywhere from .080" to .250".   I've used factory non-adjustables, T&D streets, Harland Sharp adjustable, LMS non-adjustable, and Comp Cams. 

Maybe we could get POP to make us some shelf TFS stands.  You reading this, Doug?
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2020, 08:13:27 AM »

Just my $.02....

I talked to Doug about this and he is reluctant to do so because all of the varying rocker designs, he feels like he can't promise one height that will work. 

I think that rocker geometry for the average FE crowd has been less of a thing until the past 5 years or so (other builders don't shoot at me I know some guys do it LOL) but  likely ALL stands, for all heads, can use some work.

So far though, with Brent's rockers anyway, I can lop off .075 from Doug's lowrisers and they look great.  Cutting is easy too.  My machinist stabs a shaft through all, not sure how he attaches it to deck, but does 4 at a time.  Charges me nearly nothing, which tells me the work is easy
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2020, 08:19:29 AM »
Some of this compatible stuff is why I did my heads the way I did - making the valvetrain and port opening positioning the same as Edelbrock guaranteed that all the popular and pre-existing parts would fit without a bunch of drama for the guy assembling things at home.

FWIW the bolt on Edelbrock heads are quite a bit less expensive than other options (other than the Chinese knock off parts), and always readily available.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2020, 08:29:26 AM »
I'm gonna yell at Doug again and talk to him about it.  Even if he made stands 1/4" shorter, shimming up is pretty easy and you could shim based on the rocker arm. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

427LX

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2020, 08:44:19 AM »
What do the factory 428 CJ heads flow?  If the Edelbrocks flow same or a bit more still a decent street head for a mild performance. Save weight and allow a bit more compression on pump gas.
Depends on what your performance goal is. Driving on street you will be below 5000 RPM most the time.