Author Topic: Rocker Clearance / Valve Cover Spacer / Blower Motor Clearance?  (Read 825 times)

CV355

• View Profile
The cast aluminum "Cobra" valve covers don't clear the rockers on the new build (not surprised).  I'm looking at 1/2" spacers, but my concern is...  without having the engine in the engine bay, it's hard to tell how much clearance there will be between the valve covers and the blower motor sticking out into the engine bay.  I designed an external bracket to support the blower motor from vibrating around, and I'd hate for the valve covers to interfere with it.

Does anyone have any pictures of a '69 Mustang engine bay that would show the clearance between the valve covers and blower motor?  It's the nut at the 1-o-clock position relative to the motor that I am concerned about.  I put a threaded spacer there which locks the blower motor in place. 

wayne

• View Profile
Re: Rocker Clearance / Valve Cover Spacer / Blower Motor Clearance?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 12:48:19 PM »
I dont think you will have trouble big block cars come with a bracket over the heater motor and use them.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 01:03:58 PM by wayne »

CV355

• View Profile
Re: Rocker Clearance / Valve Cover Spacer / Blower Motor Clearance?
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 12:51:29 PM »
I dont think you will have trouble big block cars come with a bracket over the heater motor a

That's what I am hoping, but the bracket I designed protrudes further from the firewall.  I'll see if I can get a pic posted. 

I torqued the nuts to the motor studs before putting the backing plate on the heater box.  Then, we finished all the plumbing.  A month later, the blower motor felt loose in the engine bay but had no axial play.  It was easier to design a 3-pt bracket to hold the motor in place rather than tear out the entire dash again.