Author Topic: Dyno day Aug 14 - 2 ways to make power - guess, throw stones, pretty pics etc  (Read 5719 times)

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
Ooofff  :o I just last week was looking into sending a balancer to Damper Doctors.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Ooofff  :o I just last week was looking into sending a balancer to Damper Doctors.

I think that's where Dr. Kevorkian got his start.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

frnkeore

• View Profile
Ross,
Did you take vacuum readings on that 465 cfm setup?
Frank

My427stang

• View Profile
Frank, I did not.  Would have been good data, but didn't reconfigure after the 750s
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

WerbyFord

• View Profile
Looks like the Gonkulator hit the TFS combo pretty much right on.

On the T-Wedge:
I grabbed the head flows (295 intake, 202 exhaust (awesome) at .600) from the dyno section, which made some difference, but still, the Gonkulator comes in 9% too high in peak power for both carb sets, which is 9% of a big number ie about 50hp.
Usually the Gonkulator is within about 3%-4% on predictions so this is really way out there, maybe something more to sort out somewhere but I'd have no idea what.

Still, it's very true, something to be said (a lot) for the old-school look. I just built a bone stock 390/"300hp" here, makes about half the power of this pair, but it just and sounds looks so 1964 in there with all that black iron and gold stampings. Hey, it made enough torque to rip the motor mount out during testing (fan banging against the fan guard!) The original gold "snorkel" air cleaner sure makes a strange howling noise compared to the open 14x3 we are all used to, but it's only costing about 2 net ponies so worth the old-school look. Well then again we all threw those in the trash on day 2 so maybe it's not so old school.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 08:42:53 PM by WerbyFord »

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
“Ironically, the two 465s had the slightly higher HP peak, and the two 750s had the higher torque peak, backwards to what you might think.  545/545 vs 544/558,  HP is within spitting distance and I would call them equal, but it does show Drew's carbs were working nice, and should tell people yet again that "small carbs for more torque" is a fallacy.“

Makes total sense to me.....
I run that Dove Tunnelwedge with the changable tops.
Ya know, the one you can fit your head into the plenum.
I built the carbs to idle nice and rich for an 800rpm smooth idle and the annulars were used to aid low throttle opening cruise type conditions with the intake I have.
Different engines.... diff results.
I seriously need to get outta the shop and drive the car more
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 09:23:03 PM by Drew Pojedinec »

frnkeore

• View Profile
Another thought on the 465 vs 750 oddity. Since it is obvious that the 465's will supply enough air, to get max HP at WOT, with this combination, there is either a problem with the 465's mid range or the 750's high range flow.

Although it wouldn't seem unlikely that the VS wouldn't open soon enough on the 465's with that big of engine, it could be that a change in springs, would have been a good test, to see if it picked up anything.
Frank

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Frank a dyno is a dyno.
In my humble opinion you can probably tweek and tune all day long and make small gains on  a dyno, but I am uncertain that it translates to the track or the street.

Anyone that makes 550+ hp on the street on street tires and notices a 5hp difference at 6500rpms is a liar :P
You'll notice under the curve smooth transition and low throttle opening responsiveness tho, and this is not something that can be tested on a dyno.  (Well maybe one of those fancy inertial dyno type machines)

frnkeore

• View Profile
I just went back and looked at the dyno charts.

It looks like the reason the max HP is down, with the 750's, is the right bank has leaned to much.

Then look at the rpm for the torque, the 465 peaks at 250 rpm higher, could that be a indication that the VS, opened a little late?

But overall, in the end, there still wouldn't be a great deal of difference. I don't think there would be 5 lb TQ or 5 HP difference between them.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 11:55:41 AM by frnkeore »
Frank